Netflix PS3 streaming arrives tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Last month, Netflix announced that they'd be adding a new piece of hardware to the growing list of gadgets that support Netflix streaming. That device was none other than the PlayStation 3, a suitable choice for growth given that Netflix is already supported on the Xbox 360. The only really surprising aspect of the whole affair was the timeline Netflix put forth, and as of tomorrow many PS3 owners who are also Netflix subscribers will be receiving the installation disc to make this all possible.

If you're a Netflix subscriber and asked for a disc, Netflix has already mailed them out, and will get into most people's hands by tomorrow. The PS3 will then join the Xbox 360, the Roku, TiVo DVRs, some standalone Blu-ray players and of course the PC as devices which can access streaming video through Netflix.

Netflix claimed recently that nearly half of their subscribers have used the streaming service within the past three months. That's a substantial amount, which is good news for those that pay for the service -- it means that Netflix will no doubt have a keen interest in expanding it.

Though the online movie market is still arguably in its infancy, Netflix clearly has a huge advantage over existing and potential competitors, such as Amazon and Hulu.

Permalink to story.

NetFlix is the poster child of how to run a business right. I know they're pushing the online streaming option big-time. They'd really rather not have to deal with the considerable costs involved in mailing DVD's to clients.

The more clients that use their streaming option, that's just one less DVD that they need to buy the media for, pay for manpower to stuff them in envelopes, pay for postage, account for damaged or lost DVD's, etc.

Now if only you could stream to your PSP... Or iPhone... Imagine the sales boom you'd get for those kinds of mobile options!

Get right on that, Sony and Netflix... I'll expect a progress report next week :)

TorturedChaos said:
I may just have to buy myself a PS3 with everything that keeps getting added to it.

I does seem to be the only one of the three major players adding additional features. MS keep updating the x-box to fix what they didn't get right in the first place and the Wii...well...more gimicks?

As for the article, what a great cool idea. I know my PC and computer live in different rooms, but consoles need a tv display, a great move by both netflix and sony.

Im glad to see the Ps3 (i own 2) getting more features added to it, it is really the rising star Sony said it would be. I feel the PS3 is already a way better bang for your buck than the 360 or Wii, tho if you have a kid id always recommend the Wii. Netflix is a welcome addition to the ps3!

Awesome, but it's a little weird that you need to the disc to be able to use Netflix. It'll be a lot slicker when they release a version that can be run from the hard drive or firmware.

To put is simply I have owned both consoles and the debate on which looks better is insignificant compared to the GPU on an enthusiast PC.

For anyone looking into buying a console tho,This is the deal breaker for alot of people now. Especially since the price drop of the PS3,

Microsoft really needs to get there heads out of the sand and start offering more with there console.
With Sony you get a gaming console, integrated wifi, bluetooth for the use of any brand bluetooth kb/mouse or headset, hard drive, blueray, web browser, more compatibility for streaming movies, ability to put linux on the damn thing even.
all for 300bux

M$ on the other hand charges 300 for a console with a hard drive, then charges 100 more for wifi, makes you buy proprietary devices for cordless headset, forget about kb/mouse as they won't support a web browser or installation of an o/s, Streaming is lackluster at best, and the fact that you have to pay 50 bux a year for Xbox live is the biggest crock of all, when they have it set up in such a way as noting more than a marketing devise to squeeze even more money out of you.

If I were going for a new console today it would be a PS3 hands down and the funny thing is I would probably never play a game on it, ( with a PC like mine you wouldn't either) I would just use it for blue ray and streaming movies, and occasional web browser.

Microsoft's strategy needs to change.

I've hardly ever heard of Netflix or how it works... maybe they should try to expand outside of the US, there's bound to be a huge customer base.

Is this any different that using Netflix streaming service on a PC with a high end video card connected to a TV with an HDMI cable?

You'd think that Sony could handle the Netflix distribution with a firmware update instead of this install disc. With some of the issues manufacturers have had sending out discs and thumbdrives with imbedded viruses I certainly hope that these Netflix discs go off without a hitch.

Netflix using an install disc for now is a smart idea. If I remember, Microsoft made Netflix sign an exclusivity contract to stream to a console. PS3 has the BD Live function so its a usable loophole to utilize to bring Netflix to the PS3 without technically violating the contract (which I think expires soon anyway) with Microsoft.

got my disc today, it is working great. looks the output is limited to 720p though. not a big deal though. even though the Xbox 360 outputs at 1080p, I'm pretty sure they are both getting the same quality stream, and the Xbox 360 upconverts it.

...With Sony you get a gaming console, integrated wifi, bluetooth for the use of any brand bluetooth kb/mouse or headset, hard drive, blueray, web browser, more compatibility for streaming movies, ability to put linux on the damn thing even.
all for 300bux...

installing Linux is not a supported option on the PS3 slim.

That's cool I suppose, but not a factor to make me buy one. I'm a PC gamer through and through.

I believe that companies lie Netflix are the future on motion picture entertainment. It is only a matter of time before we will see a movie released only for Netflix.
They will take over TV's too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back