Network between Vista laptop & XP desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

crc0501

Hi, I created a simple home network between my new HP Laptop with Windows Vista and my HP desktop that runs with Windows XP. I can access all the files and everything on the laptop from the desktop but when I try to access the desktop or printer (from the laptop) I am asked for a username and password. The laptop is connected to the internet through out router so it's not the router encryption and I have not set password or even enabled the password protection on file sharing. Any ideas?

Chris

Is file and printer sharing enabled on the desktop?
Re-run the network wizard on the desktop

Yes, and it was all working a few weeks ago. My wife took the laptop down to california for a week and connected to someone elses network and since then I haven't been able to access the desktop from the laptop even though I can do vice-versa.

I had this problem before and this seemed to work.

Create an account on both machines, call them "SHARE" and make sure you specify a password. Then when it comes up with enter username and password enter "SHARE" and the password. Then it will go through. Also check your windows firewall settings on both machine make sure its not blocking the traffic you want.

connecting vista laptop to xp desktop via crossoverr ethernet cable

connecting xp desktop to vista laptop can be easily done using ethernet crossover cable
i came across few topics discussing about establishing connection between vista laptop and xp desktop to share resources.

i just wrote a simple tutorial for doing the same with crossover ethernet cable.

htt://techtricks.co.in/?p=63

the password issue is not relate to the physical cabling, but the user-id's being used
on both systems.

Using Simple File Sharing is 'simple'; make sure both systems have the same user-ids.

Disabling Simple File Sharing is the other choice and then the user-id and password
of the user that created the share is required.

Yes, and it was all working a few weeks ago. My wife took the laptop down to california for a week and connected to someone elses network and since then I haven't been able to access the desktop from the laptop even though I can do vice-versa.

VI know what the problem is. When she connected it to the other person's network, they have password protected sharing enabled.

What you need to do is run the Network Setup Wizard again and make sure that password protected sharing is disabled. Also, if you run the wizard to set it up on one network, then run it again to connect to another, you are assigned to a new workgroup and you lose privileges on the old network if you connect to it again. This is a limitation of using the basic networking of XP.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back