New comp won't power up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeusru

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and I wish I had a happier reason to join but...
I just decided to build my first system, and purchased all the parts. After I put everything together, I hit the power switch and nothing happens.
The green light on the motherboard is on so I know it's getting some kind of power, and I tried switching the power and reset cables to the motherboard and that doesn't work either. The LED light in the front of the case does not come on, there is no sound, no fans turn on. Here are my system specs; since I just got the stuff I can still exchange it for free I hope. any help would be greatly appreciated.

PSU: ROSEWILL|RP550-2 (550 W)
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe NF570SLI AM2
CPU: AMD|A64 X2 5200+ 2.6G AM2 2M R
Memory: 1G|TRANS DDRII 800 JM800QLJ-1G
Video Card: EVGA 512-P2-N773-AR 8600GTS 512
I've also got my old IDE 60gb HD installed, along with my old DVD burner, IDE as well.
Case: SUNBEAM|IC-TR-BA BLK

Unplug the hdd, dvd burner, and gfx card, then try the power.
If still no go, then i suggest you take a good long look at the case connectors again. Its very easy to get them either wrong way round, or one jumper to the side if you know what i mean.
Did you buy a new psu? Either way, what is its max wattage?
You say no fans turn, not even on your cpu? Check the fan plug is seated correctly (durr!)
First builds can be fraught with problems mate, we've all been through it, and swear to god almighty that we've done as the manual says, but there's nearly always something we miss.

Hi - and welcome!
Power off
Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the power connections and the speaker - this includes taking off all the RAM, the drives and the connections to the front panel.
Boot by shorting out the two pins where the front panel power cable connects. You should get a string of beeps. This is good. No beeps is bad and indicates maybe a short to chassis under the board - check that you don't have too many metal support pegs. Power off.
Refit RAM - reboot - fewer beeps? Still good. Power off
Refit VGA card & reboot - One beep. This is good.
Now reconnect one piece at a time until you find what is stopping the boot and let us know.
Best of luck!

the PSU is a 550W unit, I checked all the connections over and over, all the fans are plugged in properly, and i've unplugged and replugged in the power switch multiple times. All the units other than the HDD and DVD are new, therefore previously untested. no fans come on, not even the one on the cpu.

Albert, I think you may have found something. So the case did come with a bunch of metal support pegs, and I didn't know what to do with them since there were no instructions about it. On the motherboard info it said to screw it directly to the back of the storage case - I thought this was weird since it would be touching the... oooh! a metal support peg goes into the case, and the board goes on top of that with a screw into the metal peg? wow I hope I didn't break my MB by shorting the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back