New computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

edbug

at last i have my new computer, brought from my neighbour for £150.
i am soon to install 4gb ram instead of the 1gb that is in their.
Would this require more power?
and i have a ati raedon x550 graphics card, if i was to install a 8800gts at christmas time would a greater psu be recommended?
btw: doesn't say anywhere on the psu which watage it is, only 230v input.
thanks.

Congrats on getting your new PC!

A couple of things you may want to bear in mind:

1. Make sure your motherboard can accept up to 4GB of RAM (depending on it's age it may only take 2GB). Hopefully, you got the manuals with your purchase, otherwise find out which motherboard it is and have a look at the website for up to date info on types of RAM it accepts.

2. Your PSU will probably need to be upgraded from your existing 230W if you are going to put a more powerful grafix card in. Ensure that any PSU has the additional 12V adapter for your grafix card as most new ones need power. There are plenty of places to get a reasonable priced PSU but the more you spend, the more hours you will (in theory) get from it.

Happy computing!

I think foxdelta may have misread the original post regarding the wattage of the power supply. edbug only said its input is 230 volts, not 230 watts output. An easy mistake to make.

edbug, open your PC so you can see any information stickers usually placed on the side of the power supply. The wattage of the power supply should be on the sticker. Normally wattage information is not placed at the back of the PC. It's on the inside of the PC.

For all of the RAM to appear in Windows, you'd need to get a 64-bit version of it. I recommend Windows Vista Home Premium x64.

Also, if the PSU is currently running only an X550 and has been used for more than two years, it's best to buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back