New Custom PC problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week my old desktop died, the power supply fan burnt out and the motherboard became extremely glitchy (Im guessing from having so much heat hitting it for a long time.) Anyway, I bought new components and built my new PC..

New Stuff:
Motherboard - ASUS P5N-E SLI
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4300 (1.8ghz, 800mhz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)
Hard Drives - 500gig SATA (Samsung) hard drive (Brand new, clean)
Memory - Corsair - 2GB Memory Module Kit (2x 1GB) (240PIN, DDR2 DIMM)
Video Card - e-GeForce 7600GS
Power Supply - 500w Coolmaster

Old Stuff:
TV Tuner - WinTV-PVR-150 (PCI Slot, this is from my old computer)
Sound Card - SoundBlaster Audigy2ZS (PCI Slot, this is from my old computer)
Hard Drives - 80gig & 175gig IDE hard drives (from old computer)
DVD Drives - 2x IDE DVD Burners

The Problem:

When I boot up, the BIOS only detects the SATA drive and not any of my IDE devices (2 HDs and 2 DVD drives), all connections have been checked and they are tight. Boot message error is as followed:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Another problem, I cannot eject my DVD drives through normal means (paperclip works, but they won't respond to their Eject button, and yes they have power, the light just keeps flickering)

So I used a paperclip, opened the drive, popped in a windows xp CD, and pressed enter, no luck. Rebooted and tried again (with CD already in drive), still no luck.

**UPDATE**
I currently have 1 dvd drive connected to the motherboard, the other one just has power and isn't connected to the motherboard. The one that's connected (IDE cable) will not open no matter what I try (besides the paperclip), however, the second DVD drive that has power but isn't connected to the motherboard opens as it should. I tried powering down and switching the two devices, and the same situation is occuring.

Any advice would be greatly appeciated!

I've updated my post, added more specifics (such as exact computer components and such), and overall made my problem a little more clear and understandable

If the mobo is new, you might be able to return it as defective.

EDit: Make sure you have the correct master/slave jumper settings first. And IDE channels enabled in BIOS.

a nice update

So I made a USB Flash Drive/thumb drive boot disc, I'm in Windows, installed all the drivers, got everything working now except my DVD drives.

If they (either one alone, or both together) are plugged into the motherboard, I fail to be able to boot, I get the same error from before;

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

They still appear to be "busy" when plugged in. I also noticed if they are plugged in, the BIOS cannot recognize any of my IDE devices (the hard drives from my previous system.) When the DVD drives are not attached to the motherboard, their lights blink as normal and they respond as normal. The computer also boots just fine.

So maybe they are damaged, but before I go out and buy new ones, and thoughts or suggestions/methods to try? Their model is: Sony DW-Q120A

Well, it would seem that either the mobo is defective or the drives are. Because of what happened to your previous system that used these drives there is a possibilty they were damaged when the power supply died.

The easier option at the moment is to run out to your local comp store and pick up a new drive. Install it and see what happens. If the new drive works you know you have 2 bad drives, if it doesn't work then you have a bad mobo.

Good luck!

Today I got someone bringing me a working CD drive as well as a few IDE cables to toy with, because the cable I'm currently using with my dvd drives is from my old computer, and quite possibly from my computer prior to that, so maybe the cable will be the problem. I'm just really hoping it's not the motherboard, cause then I got a big wait ahead of me before I can get this PC working again

IDE cable was the problem, machine is running quite great, though I'm going to format/reinstall Windows XP on my 80gig HD, to get a nice fresh start with my new gear

Thanks for your assistance and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back