New GPU - system only boots after reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

zib

Hi,
i recently updated my system from an ati 1950xt to an ati 5770.
Now when i startup the system, i get the 1 long-3short beeps error, wich indicates a video error. When i wait a few seconds and press the reset button, the system starts up normally and everything is functional.
I only get these beeps when i do a cold boot. Not when i do a warm boot.
What could be the problem? I'm not sure if it could be the videocard itself, i cannot test it in another system.

edit: system specs:

core2duo e6400
asus p5be-plus
2x1gb kinstong ram
creative audigy 2
sata 160gb
ide 80 gb
enermax 500W
HD5770 ati
ethernet card

Just try clearing and resetting the CMOS. Remove the battery from the motherboard for about 10 minutes, put it back and start up the PC. Check if the error still persists.

Yes i did that, i also removed the dust out of my case and placed the videocard back in. Also updated the mobo bios and grabbed the latest ati drivers.
Problem stays the same. I can play games on high detail without any fault but when the pc is off for about an hour and i want to put it on it gives me the error again.

No one?
I just ran ati tool for 30 mins and the videocard stayed stable at 64°C without errors or artifacts.
Could it be the psu that doesn't give enough power to start my videocard from cold boot?
Its an enermax 500W with 2 x 12V with 22A. I thought those where reliable?
The psu is about 5 years old. Is there an age limit on psu's, could it be its dying on me?

The cold boot problem points to a graphics card fault the fact that reset/warm boot works suggests that some electical component is discharging when the system is off and is incapable of recharging quickly enough from a cold boot once the card has had enough time to discharge. Could be a faulty capacitor or a leaking diode or even just a weak electrical connection such as weak cable plug/card socket connection.

What i also noticed is, when i cold boot, i hear a fan that appears to 'overdrive'. After a few seconds the fan spinning turns to normal, and then i can reboot without a problem.
I really was hoping its not the videocard, because i then have to send it back for rma and have no descent replacement while waiting on a return rma.

It definitely sounds like a video card problem.
Hopefully the RMA turnaround time is short, or you can borrow a loaner in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back