New MB same OS install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently replacing a motherboard in an existing XP Pro install.This MB has a different chipset. It will require new SATA drivers. How do I install the new drivers for the new chipset without affecting the current OS install? I can't find anything or think of a way which makes me think we are still in the dark ages when it comes to SATA. All productive help will be appreciated.

-Dan

Your mobo will probably have a way in the bios to emulate IDE, if it doesn't you need sata drivers. Where you are in the dark ages though is thinking that you can just swap motherboards and keep the same install of Windows. You haven't really been able to do that effectively since Windows 98. You can attempt a repair of XP, but thats a poor way to do it. The real way is to reinstall.

Didn't your new motherboard furnish you with a cd-rom support disk? After installing your new board, you need to run the disk that will ready your board for whatever components you may use. The "current OS install" will almost surely need to be reloaded onto your hard drive again. Most new boards will not be able to run your OS from a previous install that was operating under the terms of the old motherboard's BIOS. Every SATA hard disk that I've installed into various computers simply just work. Drivers have not been necessary.....beyond that information that is supplied with your new motherboard. It makes Sata a device that will work on the new deal. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back