New Mobo, Windows XP wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.
well my prior asus mobo burnt out so I got me a new Foxconn one. I just installed it but the problem is that windows xp wont start. The comp gets the point where you get the windows xp sign and the green bar under it. It moves for about 3 seconds and the computer restarts again. What can I do to get Windows to start up?

well I have done the windows repair. What happens now is that the Windows XP loading screen stays on a bit longer but I still get the same end result. The Comp restarts. What can I do now?

Hmm I wonder if you have an overheating issue.
mobo burnt out so I got me a new
Did you re-thermal paste the CPU ?

It could also be a Trojan. Can you get to Safe mode ?

Also your Bios, can you confirm the Optimize defaults are selected

So it fully installed Windows and then won't logon, that could be that gina thing.
I have to find the link (trojan issue) but confirm the above first (because we need safe mode at least!)

edit:

Arr found it:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm

I dont think it would be a trojan because the reason my old mobo burnt out was because the electricity went out all of a sudden one day. Windows was working fine b4 that.

ok and the answer to all the above

CPU?
Safe Mode?
Trojan? (oh yeah covered!)

Also I have to step out, will be back later (as most know I don't leave for too long :) )

same thing happened in safe mode it restarted ... and the cpu is fine. It does go through the whole repair installation just fine

What about VGA mode (from the safe mode menu)

This may be a driver issue, and can be either Video or sound card
Actually remove (or disable in bios temporarily) any addon pci cards
Also just boot up with Keyboard; Power; and monitor (plug the USB mouse in later)

I'm thinking driver issue, and you?

ok but you could still try vga mode

You kno, you have this way of posting back without saying
1. Tried that
2. Tried that one too

So I'll wait for the outcome of trying the others, and your response to that :)

hmm alright i tried VGA Mode from Safe Mode. Same thing it restarted. I have everything disconnected other than the keyboard, mouse (not usb) and monitor. By any chance would completely reinstalling XP would fix the problem?

another thing that i found interesting that never happened to me was during the repair reinstall windows asked me for cd to install my ethernet driver. That was odd for me cuz it was the first time XP asked me for drivers while it was installing.

remove (or disable in bios temporarily)

Actually go to bios, and load defaults (or optimize, whatever it says)
And then disable everything you can (except harddrive)
See if it boots

Re-install may be the way to go.

But you should try chkdsk /r from the safe mode command prompt (or is that /f ? )

Anyway Check Disk has fixed many of these issues

I have Partition Magic bootable disk, and this type of fault, I would have checked (and safely repaired) with that too. I think gparted can do that (that's free)

Check Disk time (either on the command prompt, or from the Windows CD Repair mode - both ways work)

did the chkdsk n repaired what was wrong.... now windows xp wont load up at all .. so ima do the repair install of xp again for one last try to see if it works

It sounds like the hard drive is bad. A low level format might fix this especially if the power failure that destroyed the motherboard, corrupted the file structure on the hard drive so badly that only an a 0's write or low level format might save the drive, not the data, if it is actually able to be saved

Hmmm I hope there wasn't data on that drive (I don't think I said backup first) Check Disk can wipe a faulty drive (that was going to fault anyway!)
Just like defrag, or any other heavy drive usage program on a faulty disk

oh well too late ... but actually all important documents,music, videos and pictures are in my other hd (the one without windows installed) so this hd has only windows and software for this reason, if windows messes up i do not lose my files :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back