New PC build will not start, but it looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi This is my first post, so a quick hello to all. I have been playing with computers for the last 10 years. I finally decided to build a PC myself for a couple of reasons, one is for a greater undstanding of these machines themselves, and I have always loved to build and create things.
Here's my problem: I bought all the individual components, making sure that they were all compatable. I spent a couple of days reading the manuals and putting the PC together. The big moment came to flip the switch and see my creation light up and beep to show the world my brilliance. Alright, I know that everyone of you is laughing, because you know what happened next. Nothing.Nada.Zilch. I would would some help for common problems and solutions. Thanks

The best option is to benchtest the Motherboard
All extra connections and parts removed, being:
  • Only power and Video connected
  • Only 1 known compatible Ram card installed
  • Hard drive (actually all drives) disconnected from Motherboard
  • Even try momentarily disconnecting the CPU fan (say for about 5 secs)
  • All extra addon cards removed
  • USB and front connectors removed
  • etc..

This information can be found here:
try Benchtesting the motherboard

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it failed. I have already switched PSU's. I had only the Mobo,CPU,Video Card, and 1 stick of Ram in the #1 slot connected to the PSU. Nothing. I can tell it drawing power when I turn on the the I/O (a light dimmed slightly)but nothing happened to the PC. I've heard about taking it out of the case and testing it to see if it is shorting out on the case, but I have the correct brass stand offs in place. What do you think? Thanks again for your response.

There is likely a short somewhere.

A dead mobo still allows the machine to power up, but you will get no POST screen. The fans will continue to run, but the system will never boot. Bad RAM allows the system to boot, but you will get BSODs frequently. Dead\dying PSUs also cause BSODs or random restarts. A bad video card will cause the same problems as a dead mobo. Bad HDDs can be diagnosed by the characteristic "ticking" noise they emanate.

That leaves nothing but a short, or some other malfunctioning part I haven't thought of.

Also don't forget the posibility of a bad power switch on the case. Use a flat blade screwdriver or knife blade to short the pins for the power switch on the motherboard to test for this; touch it to the pins and remove it do not continue to hold it to the pins. If the system starts you have found your problem. If not you may want to follow the advice of others, remove the board and test or look for shorts.

Thanks for the help. It turned out to be a short in the case power switch. I used a flat head screw driver and it fired right up. Do I chase the defective wire and fix/replace it?
Thanks again fir the tips!

I would probably replace the case. RMA it if it's still under warranty. If you don't want to take everything apart to do that check the wire connections ant the power button and motherboard connector to see if they are loose. if so you can probably resolder them if the actual switch is bad there is little you can do but replace it however finding another switch that will fit and look right in your case may be difficult or impossible.

If the case is the antec sonata listed in your profile definitely contact antec. They are really good with warranties. They might even send you a new switch/ face plate but they will defently let you send it in for repair/replacement if it's under warranty (I believe those have a 3 year warranty.

Good news. I'll get in touch with Antec, it's a brand new case, so I don't think there be any problem getting things straightened out. I've had many PCs, but this is my first build. It has been a learning expieriance, but that is the reason I wanted to build it in the first place. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back