New Samsung ad mocks ten years of iPhones

midian182

Staff member

Tech giants have a long history of coming up with ads that mock their rivals’ products. Following last week’s release of the iPhone X, Samsung has once again released an advertisement that lays into the Cupertino company. Titled Growing Up, it takes aim at several Apple handsets from over the last decade and includes a subtle dig at the iPhone X.

The story begins in 2007, when we see a young man buying his first iPhone. Three years later, he’s struggling with the iPhone 3GS and its lack of storage space—while Apple has increased the capacity of its handsets over the years, it still doesn’t offer expandable memory through microSIM cards like its competitors.

Skip to 2013 and an upgrade to the iPhone 5. Meeting a woman with a Galaxy Note 3, he comments on the large size of Samsung’s phone, before looking on in envy as she uses her stylus to write down his number.

2015 brings more waiting in line, presumably for the iPhone 6s, while 2016 shows how well the Galaxy phones stand up to being dunked in water. After the pair fall off a dock, Samsung’s device is fine, but the iPhone ends up in rice. While the iPhone 7 has an IP67 rating, it’s only water-resistant—you wouldn’t want to go swimming with it. Apple’s controversial decision to remove the headphone jack is also highlighted.

As the ad reaches the present day, it’s the Galaxy’s Qi wireless charging support that finally leads our hero to make the switch to Samsung, following ten years of Apple disappointments. Not wanting to miss out on poking fun at the iPhone X, the last scene shows people queuing for the flagship device, one of whom is sporting a haircut resembling the handset’s notch. The ad finishes with this advice: “Upgrade to Galaxy.”

Samsung has a history of releasing ads mocking Apple and its fans, including one for the Galaxy S3 (below). Microsoft, meanwhile, continues to laugh at Apple’s claim that the iPad Pro is a computer.

Permalink to story.

I hate apple but I hope they strike back with ad telling stories about destroyed cars and missed flights because of exploding note 7. Did anyone die to note 7 explosion? Even if not they should just say it happened as lying is OK now, just look at US president and commercials.

Lol at Samsung. They always mock Apple yet Apple never mentioned or mock them in their ads. They are hopeless when it come to premium products thus Apple continue to ignore them. With the glowing reviews of the iphone X, Samsung will always be bitter at 2nd place.

I am not a fan of apple but I am really not a fan of negative ads. To me it just shows that you are desperate.

They have been desperate ever since they want to get the premium segment. Just look in how they do promos to their previous and current premium flagship (S8, note 7) phones in north america, sometimes we can have a whopping $300 discount to that. During the launch of the new Note, they advertised that early buyers will get a free Samsung watch on top of a discount. Compared that to Apple who never do promos in their new released phones because they don't have to.

If one thing I could agree why most people hate Apple is that their phones are expensive compared to android phones in hardware perspective. They dont understand that the software and after sales support plays a big part of the experience. Most apple hate bandwagon members are those who can't afford them and can find solace in cheaper android phones having a fast CPUs etc. I don't find Apple expensive to me because I can get a loyalty discount on top of my phone subsidy. I understand most countries yet dont offer subsidies. Prepaid sim cards is still the way to go for these markets that is why they need to buy the phone outright making them really expensive having to get $1000 out of their pocket in one day.

Techspot is good in knowing what articles/subject most people will get interested. I bet this article would have the highest hits this week.

Funny ad. I think its all a game as samsung has been the supplier of some iphone parts including the latest iphone x oled screen. Some of you can diss samsung all you want because of your loyalty to apple but samsung is a tech giant. A single apple phone might outsell its rival individually but samsung sells way more phones overall. I think both phones are great. Iphone is a little behind techwise as the galaxy is the more advanced phone with features and tech. The iphone though is still a solid phone that does what it does very well. Its the best at doing its limited features. Most people dont need the extra power, features and tech that samsung provides so they never get to appreciate it. Thats mainly the reason iphone is still so successful today because lets face it apple loses in almost every category when it comes to the tech. Their os is their shining star as it is very fluent and stable.

Thats mainly the reason iphone is still so successful today because lets face it apple loses in almost every category when it comes to the tech. Their os is their shining star as it is very fluent and stable.

As with Apple computers vs PCs, there is certainly a premium on iPhones for similar specs/hardware. And yeah you can get 8GB of RAM in android phones that cost the same as iPhones with 2GB, but regarding tech, I think it's undeniable that that each new iPhone/iPad SOC that has been released in the last 5+ years has been the mark to beat by Qualcom and Exynos chips. Definitely not trying to engage in the classic Apple vs. Android, nor do I think you were, just wanna give credit where credit is due. Apple has consistently excelled (maybe not best, but top tier for sure) in their chips, quality of LCD screens (color reproduciton--not resolution!--compared to other LCDs), and cameras. I think Samsung in particular typically has a nicer camera, but I'm no photographer!

I'm an iPhone user, and have tried both the Note 5 and S8+ at length, but what I've not been able to get past is how reliant I am on iMessage and texting from my computer so seemlessly. I'm well aware that WhatsApp and FB Messenger can do all that and more, but only if the people in your circle use those apps! My wife simply doesn't want to switch between messaging apps just for me : ( Anyway, in a world where discussions about Apple vs. PC and Apple vs. Android inevitably devolve into YouTube-comment-level garbage, I've been pretty pleased with how reasonable a lot of those conversations play out on Techspot. This is the first tech site I open up every day for a reason.

I am not a fan of apple but I am really not a fan of negative ads. To me it just shows that you are desperate.

They have been desperate ever since they want to get the premium segment. Just look in how they do promos to their previous and current premium flagship (S8, note 7) phones in north america, sometimes we can have a whopping $300 discount to that. During the launch of the new Note, they advertised that early buyers will get a free Samsung watch on top of a discount. Compared that to Apple who never do promos in their new released phones because they don't have to.

If one thing I could agree why most people hate Apple is that their phones are expensive compared to android phones in hardware perspective. They dont understand that the software and after sales support plays a big part of the experience. Most apple hate bandwagon members are those who can't afford them and can find solace in cheaper android phones having a fast CPUs etc. I don't find Apple expensive to me because I can get a loyalty discount on top of my phone subsidy. I understand most countries yet dont offer subsidies. Prepaid sim cards is still the way to go for these markets that is why they need to buy the phone outright making them really expensive having to get $1000 out of their pocket in one day.

Techspot is good in knowing what articles/subject most people will get interested. I bet this article would have the highest hits this week.
You are a couple of years behind. Android flagships have become much more expensive now and some are about the same price as the iPhone. Also, Samsung has had premium devices for quite some time. I also saw a video where Note 8 opens pretty much every app faster than iPhone X that is supposedly so powerful God himself uses it to power our world. Still X has much higher score in benchmarks, which makes me wonder how accurate they are.

I actually like these kind of videos if they're done well, nobody complained when Apple did this to Microsoft.

I found it funny, even a friend who owns iPhones laughed while seeing some very distinctive things that he has been frustrated with as well.

It brings up some really funny stuff that have frustrated more than one iPhone user throughout time.

D9Jvhmt.jpg

That's for sure. When any company has to deride another product, especially a company that has had known, serious issues with their products, it would make me ask what is wrong with their product that they have to degrade the competition's product.

I get that crApple and Slamsung are in competition, but Slamsung should talk.

That's for sure. When any company has to deride another product, especially a company that has had known, serious issues with their products, it would make me ask what is wrong with their product that they have to degrade the competition's product.

Personally, I think it would be awesome and hilarious if Samsung made fun of themselves. Something like, "Our previous model blew everyone away!" in reference to their exploding phones.

The only time this negative ad stuff is any worse is when it comes to political campaign ads. It's like ok, so both parties have told us that the other person is terrible and I still have no idea of what the heck anyone's platform is.

Buuuuuuuuuurrrrrn!
It's so true though... same poorly built and rather cheap devices every year that break/crack, same limited features years behind competitors year after year, took them 5 years of getting smoked to finally put decent hardware in them. Hey alteast they have stayed popular, that's the #1 seller.

But an iPhone compared to an Samsung? B!tch please.

Lol at Samsung. They always mock Apple yet Apple never mentioned or mock them in their ads. They are hopeless when it come to premium products thus Apple continue to ignore them. With the glowing reviews of the iphone X, Samsung will always be bitter at 2nd place.

Lol at Apple. They always mock Samsung yet Samsung never mentioned or mock them in their ads. They are hopeless when it comes to premium products thus Samsung continue to ignore them. With the glowing reviews of the Galaxy S8, Apple will always be bitter at 2nd place.

Last edited:
That one part where he's charging his phone and listening to music with all those dongles made me LOL!

Seriously this commercial has some legit talking points for why Samsung makes superior phones.
- Limited storage - no SD card
- No lines for Samsung phones
- Water proof
- No ridiculous dongles
- S pen
- Huge Screen

There is a typo in article. In the paragraph discussing uxexpendable storage in iPhone 3GS microSD card is called microSIM for some reason.

Personally, I think it would be awesome and hilarious if Samsung made fun of themselves. Something like, "Our previous model blew everyone away!" in reference to their exploding phones.

The only time this negative ad stuff is any worse is when it comes to political campaign ads. It's like ok, so both parties have told us that the other person is terrible and I still have no idea of what the heck anyone's platform is.
Absolutely agree! That is how Johnny Carson became famous is to make fun of himself. IIRC, he stated this in an interview one time, and he also stated that making fun of someone else was off limits for him.

The point to the video is.....samsung isn't lying lol what they showed is all true. am I a samsung "fan" not really no. I do own an s7 egde because it was simply the best phone on the market when I upgraded my old 50 dollar prepaid phone and went to verizon. is it a good phone? pretty much. the bloatware is insane but there are apps on the play store for less than 5 dollars that can disable anything on the phone without root permissions and it's well worth it. the s7 edge can use more RAM that's for sure because it can get a little sluggish. touchwiz is garbage but with the app I just mentioned it can be disabled completely (BK DIsabler). samsung makes decent phones when you disable all of their built in garbage. I don't care for their tvs because I've seen far better. the note 7 exploding issues were from the battery that wasn't made by samsung. it's old news lol and not entirely samsungs fault BUT they definitely shouldve tested the damn phones for longer. horrible QC on their end.

I hate apple but I hope they strike back with ad telling stories about destroyed cars and missed flights because of exploding note 7. Did anyone die to note 7 explosion? Even if not they should just say it happened as lying is OK now, just look at US president and commercials.
You alright there, Mr. Alabama?

Back