New system turns on and that's about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought new computer parts and decided to make a new computer. However when I put it together, it turned on and that's it. There is was no boot sound and the red processing light on the case doesn't come on either, everything just seems to limbo, although the green light is on.
With all that being said, when I switching everything back to my old system it works perfectly (I follow the exact same procedure). Could soneone help me figure out what is wrong.

New Components:

Motherboard: Gigagyte GA-MA770-DS3 (socket AM2+)
CPU: Athlon 64 LE-1620
RAM: DDR2 1066 2x1 GB CORSAIR
GPU: 8500GT PCI-E Super+ 1GB ( Motherboard doesnt include integrated graphics so I had to purchase this and because the system hasn't turned on I haven't installed it yet).

All Help is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

That power supply is suspect. It appears to have only 12 amps on the +12V rail. If so, it is inadequate. It should have at least 18 amps.

The label on my power supply is printed as follows:
+5V 20A +3.3V 15A
+12V 21A -12V 1A
+5VSB0 1.5A -5V 0.5A

I am a novice with electricity, so could you translate that for me. And is it the PSU that's in error, does that mean my new mobo requires more amps than the old one?

The first thing I done when this occurred what to start it up with the basics (cpu , mobo, ram, gpu) However the problem still persisted. I think my ram is compatible with the mobo (corshair 1066 ). That that leave it to the PSU? is so could u recommend a economical but good PSU.
And just out of interest, as I stated before my mobo didn't come with the igp so i bought a GPU. My question is, does it have to be installed to show the monitor (WITH BASIC graphics) or not. Reason being is that it hasn't booted yet so I have gotten the opportunity to install it.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Yes you'd need to install the video card for the boot screen to show. Also, have you checked for shorts where the motherboard might be coming into contact with the case? In addition, if everything works in another motherboard, you might have to RMA the new one.

I cannot get the item replaced as I got it off EBay however I did contact the seller and he told me that the item was fully tested and in working condition. He also suggested that it could be to do with the incompatibility of the RAM or the CPU. Could the problem lie with the PSU? I am not too sure about that but what do you guys think.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes?
Also FYI, your RAM isn't in the supported RAM list for the board, available here. I doubt it's an issue though, but still worth noting.
Lastly, is it possible that you could get another CPU from someone to test it in the motherboard? You may need it to update the BIOS to a newer version since it may not recognize your current chip.

I will be trying to get a hold on a new CPU and then see what happens, but the CPU is meant to be compatible, and if it is the CPU, I will be baffled as to why. Nevertheless, I ll let know the outcome when I get it.

Thanks everyone.

"the CPU is meant to be compatible" that does not mean the BIOS on the mother board does not need to be updated for it to recognize the chip.

nickc said:
"the CPU is meant to be compatible" that does not mean the BIOS on the mother board does not need to be updated for it to recognize the chip.

I am not able to do this because as I said, everything is new. The Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics card. I am not putting a new CPU in my old motherboard, and since I cannot get on, I cannot update.

did you use the correct RAM for your motherboard? Is it on the compatibility list recommended by the manufacturer?

I used the CORSAIR 1066 DDR2 ram. It is not on the qualified vendors list but it follows the guide lines of the motherboard compatibility. Also on the tested RAM list there is a note saying
Memory modules listed below are for reference only. Due to massive memory models on the market, we can only verify some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back