Newly continuous crashing (BSODs), dumps attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamexdragon

Hey guys, sorry if I dont provide all the needed information but I have attached the last 5 dumps and random info I thought may be relevant...

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1) 64-bit
Comp specs: AMD Phenom Quad-Core Processor 2.20 GHZ, 5GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400
I've been using this computer for about 1 year and it's been working fine. About two weeks ago, I installed new video card drivers and a few applications. Randomly it started getting bsods but it wasnt that frequent so it wasnt a big deal. Anyway, I came home from college yesterday and hooked my computer up here (usually i use the HDMI output but here i use an adapter that allows VGA use (bc my monitor here is VGA only) so I dont know if that matters). Now, it crashes within minutes of me turning it on. So, I did a restore to about two weeks ago so the video drivers rolled back I believe and those newly installed programs shouldn't be there anymore. But still no luck. However, Safe Mode w Networking works fine (hasn't crashed in the hour I've been running on it).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance

Safe Mode is working because only the drivers of necessity are engaged. It seems by your history that these problems did not occur until you updated your video card drivers and installed those other apps.

What were those apps? And are you sure all drivers have been removed? Also, was your video card drivers not working properly before and thus the need to update? The unwritten rule on drivers is, If it ain't broke don't fix it.

All your minidumps only cited Windows drivers which are too general to be of much help.

Try the following and get back to us with your results...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

i updated really for no reason when i did. but here is the update:
i got rid of the new video drivers and also opened my computer and cleaned out all the dust, fan, etc. it worked somewhat. now i only get the bsod when i have too many programs open at the same time....meaning about 4. this makes me think it is my ram but i tested it and no problems were found with the ram....any ideas? maybe the POS? but it's been working fine up until recently. then again, everything has...i have attached the 5 most recent minidumps (if i remember correctly one or two of them pointed to a .sys file (one being i believe clfs.sys)) in case that helps. thanks for all he help so far!

sorry, those other apps were a few random games...combat arms, urban terror...ad aware free ed, other small random things. im not sure at which, or if at any, install exactly the computer started messing up but i dont recall any times i had the bsod when i was running one or the other in particular.

i have attached 3 more dumps from today also

Okay, I read all eight minidumps and you have several error codes.

Three are 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

If you do happen to check the Event Viewer tell us of any yellow triangles and especially red Xs and what they are standing next to.

The problem with these minidumps is that they only give us Windows drivers which are too general to be much help. However the Vista driver usbccgp.sys is a little more interesting because the eigth minidump was an 0xFE error and these are specifically due to USB problems. That one cited the Vista driver usbstor.sys.

You may have some USB issues.

You had one 0xA error and these are caused by eith hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level it has no right to.

Another error is 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

Cause: This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.

Two errors that are of interest are 0x24: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM and is defined as (with some diagnostic suggestions) as a problem occurring within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Okay, with nothing definitive you will need to do the following diagnostic steps in addition to the suggestions above:

1. Go to your harddrive manufacturer's website, download their free HD diagnostic utility and do all the tests.

2. Scan for infections.

3. With so many different error codes I recommend that you run your system with only 4 gigs of RAM and if the problems persist then 2 gigs. Your motherboard may not like your 5 gig configuration.

Also, run Memtest on your RAM. This really needs to run for a minimum of 7 Passes and more if you are able. See this link and follow the instructions: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results. You may need to do a Windows repair but we'll hold off on that for the time being.

i checked the event viewer and all the yellow warning signs...i had a crash earlier today and it has the following info under Summary page events:
Source: volsnap
Event id: 30
General: An unfinished create of a shadow copy of volume C: was deleted.

When I go to the Administrative Events tab, a lot of red comes up....
Most of them are in groups (these happen at the same time)
Source: WMI, Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider (this one 5 times in a row)
When pulling info on the details above, I get the following EventData:
EventData

//./root/CIMV2
SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99
0x80041003
(the above is for the 1 WMI and the below are from the 5 Service Control...)
param1 i8042prt ShldDrv

param1 Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS)
param2 %%3

param1 Panda Process Protection Service
param2 %%31

param1 Panda Process Protection Driver
param2 %%1275

param1 Bonjour Service
param2 %%3

1 second before that (and the bsod) i also have one that has source (Application Popup) with EventData:
\??\C:\Windows\SysWow64\DRIVERS\PavProc.sys
000000000200300000000000240400C0000000006B0300C000000000000000000000000000000000

theres also a couple other things that happen seconds before (Httpevent, 2 EventLogs (so if info is needed on those please let me know)) but that first group happened at 8:30:28 and the last thing at 8:30:27
and this happened at 8:30:14: another "Application Popup":
\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\ShldDrv.SYS
000000000200300000000000240400C0000000006B0300C000000000000000000000000000000000

i have attached that specific dump also
and i will be performing the other suggestions tonight

chkdsk returned no errors....i had a question about memtest before i run it...do i have to do it 1 stick at a time? (the ram is in an awkward spot and hard to get out) or can i run it with all 4 stics in there?

also does it matter that the 5gb of ram have been working fine until now, referring to your theory that the motherboard may not like the 5gb setup

i just ran the hp diagnostic on boot several times and the cpu, ram, and harddrive all tested positive each time

Your error is 0x1: APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

This is a kernel internal error. Basically when a filesystem or a driver has a mismatched number of calls to disable and re-enable APCs.

APC Basic Concepts
APCs are a Windows functionality that can divert a thread from its regular execution path and direct it to execute some other code. The most important thing about an APC is that when one is scheduled, it is targeted to a specific thread.

APCs are little documented: the kernel APIs to use them are not public and their inner working is only partially covered. What makes them interesting is that they are tied with the way Windows dispatches threads, thus, by analyzing them we can better understand this core Windows feature.

Windows internals books often mention the fact that an APC is scheduled by means of a software interrupt. This raises the question of how can the system guarantee that this interrupt will run in the context of a particular thread. This is, ultimately, the purpose on an APC, but software interrupts can break into the execution of whatever thread is current. We will see in this document how Windows accomplishes this.

Code executed by means of an APC can run, depending on the APC type, at a dedicated IRQL level, which, not surprisingly, is called APC level.

So, what are APCs used for? Among other things:

The I/O manager uses an APC to complete an I/O operation in the context of the thread which initiated it.

A special APC is used to break into the execution of a process when it must terminate.

The kernel implementation of APCs is under the hood of Windows API functions like QueueUserAPC and ReadFileEx/WriteFileEx, when used to perform asychronous I/O.

More on 0x1 Errors

The 0x0 and 0x1 errors are unknown errors - all errors that are known will end with some other error code and message, but those errors that Pande Group hasn't seen before or did not know about, will end with error 0x0 or 0x1.

One of the common causes of these errors is memory errors. If your RAM has a marginal component or is overclocked or the voltage is low, you're likely to get random errors 0x0 or 0x1.

To Continue...

The executible mirc.exe was noted in the process name section of your minidump. This is an IRC client. But be careful when receiving files from unknown people, they could contain viruses or trojans.

Note Bonjour Service. This is loaded with Apple iTunes software and if you google it there is quite a bit on the net concerning this package application and a number of "How to Uninstall" information.

Your Panda software was noted twice. Either uninstall and reinstall, update, or fully uninstalll and try better security software. You might be infected.

Also, do you have certain software scheduled to do tasks? If so, disable the scheduled tasks and see if that brings stability.

Run Memtest on your RAM. Do it with all sticks installed but if you get errors you'll need to do it one stick at a time. However, if you get errors on any stick before 7 Passes you can cease the test on that stick immediately because you know it is bad.

Access your BIOS and see what the voltage is set at by your motherboard. Does it match the recommended settings per the manufactuer of your RAM. If you have overclocked ease back on your timings.

i ran memtest with 11 passes
also i havent overclocked or messed with the computers settings...but i went into bios and reset everything to default

i downloaded a registry cleaner and cleared the registry...now iall the bsods i have gotten so far point to a .sys file so i've attached those in case they may help

also when i ran driver cleaner pro w the instructions you provided, i uninstalled all drivers except for display, was that right/ok?

(edit)
after reusing drive cleaner pro (and cleaning ALL nvidia drivers) ...i havent had a crash in hours even opening and running simultaneously all programs mentioned before that seem to give me problems
ill let you know if this changes but thank you so much for all your help and patience, i really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back