Next-gen Nexus smartphones may be a Google Store exclusive

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Information regarding Google’s next generation Nexus smartphones continues to flow ahead of tomorrow’s expected unveiling. Sources familiar with the matter tell Android Police that Google isn’t planning to sell the handsets in carrier stores, making them an online exclusive. It’s a strategy the search giant has used before but that was back when the Nexus was a relative unknown. Latest rumors also point to an attractive unlocked pricing for the Nexus 5X at $379.99 for the base 16GB version, while the Nexus 6P will start at $499.99 for the 32GB version.

It may seem asinine to many of us, but there’s a large portion of the population that purchase smartphones in-store based largely on retail presentation (in other words, they don’t do any research before buying). By pulling out of carrier stores, these consumers would obviously miss out on the opportunity to own a new Nexus device.

So, why the change?

The publication surmises it’s all about promoting its new Google Store. The one-stop shop for all things Android currently sells items like Chromecast, Android Wear smartwatches, OnHub and more. Adding the new Nexus devices would no doubt drive a lot of traffic to the site and further develop brand awareness.

It’s worth pointing out that “online only” may not be limited to just the Google Store. It’s entirely possible, for example, that other e-commerce players like Amazon may carry the phone. Rumors suggest the devices will work across all major network carriers which would make adding service as simple as getting a SIM card from your carrier of choice.

Either way, we should find out more on the matter tomorrow.

Permalink to story.

If the new nexus line, has the price point of the latest version, forget it.
I would rather have it go back to original nexus line prices, but, google wants to make
even more money. No biggie, lots of alternatives out there these days to the Apple/Samsung
overpriced devices.

Updated the story with with pricing rumors, more affordable than the Nexus 6 which did not go so well.

Why should that be a problem? Who wants to be carrier locked anyway?
Well, I don't plan on leaving TMobile any time soon. I also do not plan on spending $400 for a new phone. I would, however, like to buy the Nexus 5X through TMobile and just make monthly payments on it. If this is true and they don't go through carriers I will not be buying one.

Well, I don't plan on leaving TMobile any time soon. I also do not plan on spending $400 for a new phone. I would, however, like to buy the Nexus 5X through TMobile and just make monthly payments on it. If this is true and they don't go through carriers I will not be buying one.
I prefer this way since if you do, for some reason, move from T-Mobile there is nothing holding you back like there would be if you still owed for the phone when you wanted to switch. Plus there is a chance that T-Mobile would price the phone if it was on the carrier. Also with these being completely unlocked you can go wherever you want and not have to wait any arbitrary time before they will unlock it (although that seems to be an AT&T thing).

I prefer this way since if you do, for some reason, move from T-Mobile there is nothing holding you back like there would be if you still owed for the phone when you wanted to switch. Plus there is a chance that T-Mobile would price the phone if it was on the carrier. Also with these being completely unlocked you can go wherever you want and not have to wait any arbitrary time before they will unlock it (although that seems to be an AT&T thing).
It could just be both ways like usual, so everyone is happy. Sell it on the Google store and at carriers. Plus, unlocking phones is usually like what, $60 at mom and pop shops?

That's fine, everybody has to use a carrier but nobody wants to, or should not want to be locked down for at least 2 years.
Maybe this new leasing thing carriers have got going on now might suit you better but as far as I'm concerned, outright purchase or nothing at all.

Locking devices to a certain carrier seems to be the way things are done in North America and it doesn't seem fair. I'm thankful that practice is illegal here in South Africa. At least if one carrier ticks me off, I can go elsewhere in the blink of an eye.

It could just be both ways like usual, so everyone is happy. Sell it on the Google store and at carriers. Plus, unlocking phones is usually like what, $60 at mom and pop shops?
At least if you purchase it outright from the Playstore it'll be an unlocked device but I'm sure e-tailers will stock them as well and they're usually a lot cheaper than Google.

Every single Nexus phone is unlocked even when you get it from a carrier store, My GF has a nexus 5 from videotron and its unlocked. The biggest disadvantage of not having it in the carriers store is that you can get the contract rebate on the phone. so unless your provider has a BYOD discount, you get kinda screwd

Locking devices to a certain carrier seems to be the way things are done in North America and it doesn't seem fair. I'm thankful that practice is illegal here in South Africa. At least if one carrier ticks me off, I can go elsewhere in the blink of an eye.
Something like that passed here too where you can call and they will unlock it but I think AT&T will only do it if the phone has been on their network for a set amount of time. I so wish they would just do away with carrier locks altogether but it makes them money but artificially locking you onto their network so they will fight it.

PS - I looked it up and apparently they don't have to unlock your phone if you have not completed your contract time (if you have one) or if the phone is not paid (if you do the monthly payment for it) until you are basically cleared then they will unlock it. Still rather buy the phone full at the beginning leaving me with the option to leave at any time and a smaller bill as well.

Last edited:
Back