Nightmare, the blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

llp00na

Dear everyone:

I have bought computer components hoping to make my first every computer. I have installed the following components in my Case:

-P4 3Ghz/ 2mb/ 800 FSB.
-ASRock 775Dual 880Pro.
-1Gb DDR400 Ram
-Geforce2 MX400
-450W PSU (came with my Xblade case: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/a-c/xbladmidcas4.html)
-250 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 lead free 7200rpm 16MB ATA133 Cache oem
-A Sony 16x DVD ROM

So i connected the items and started installing WindowsXP professional SP2. It was installed successfully. Once i restarted the computer i kept getting these Stop error message alternatively:
0X000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

After a couple of restarts, i couldnt get windows to load anymore but insteand i get this message: pci.sys is corrupt or missing ... and windows cannot start.

So i tried to reinstall windows now, However i keep getting this error message:

0x0000007E
atapi.sys

I am not able to install windows and i cant get acces to my previous windows xp. Please help me to solve this nightmare, i have been trying to sort out this issue for 4 days now and i always fail. I have looked at windows stop error messages but none has been helpful. and thats a link where i have been looking: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

By the way, i am new to this forum and i really hope to receive as much comments as possible. Thank you all

I think you start from scratch again, setting the BIOS to boot from CD first.
Boot from your XP CD, then first delete any existing partition(s).
Create a 20GB partition at the beginning of the HD and do a FULL format in NTFS (not the quick format). Install XP on that.
Next install the drivers that came on the motherboard-CD. When that's all OK, install any other drivers you might need.
Then use Control Panel/Computer Management/Disk Management to format the rest of your HD in NTFS, also using the FULL format.
Install your standard Windows programs, such as Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, Antivirus and Firewall all on the C-drive.
Only then connect to the web and do all the necessary updates, starting with M$. This should be the ONLY time you use Internet Explorer. For anything else use Firefox!

Later on install anything extra, such as games, on the big D-partition.

RealBlackStuff said:
I think you start from scratch again, setting the BIOS to boot from CD first.
Boot from your XP CD, then first delete any existing partition(s).
Create a 20GB partition at the beginning of the HD and do a FULL format in NTFS (not the quick format). Install XP on that.
Next install the drivers that came on the motherboard-CD. When that's all OK, install any other drivers you might need.
Then use Control Panel/Computer Management/Disk Management to format the rest of your HD in NTFS, also using the FULL format.
Install your standard Windows programs, such as Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, Antivirus and Firewall all on the C-drive.
Only then connect to the web and do all the necessary updates, starting with M$. This should be the ONLY time you use Internet Explorer. For anything else use Firefox!
Later on install anything extra, such as games, on the big D-partition.

I can not get to the partitions. The blue screen appears once trying to install windows XP. It comes straight after Windows setup is starting ... it doesnt even give me the chance to partition or format my harddrive :-(

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the insructions for testing your ram/hard drive.

Also, open your case and disconnect anything not required to boot your computer.

Leave just one stick of ram/hard drive/cd-rom/graphics card. See if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the insructions for testing your ram/hard drive.

Also, open your case and disconnect anything not required to boot your computer.

Leave just one stick of ram/hard drive/cd-rom/graphics card. See if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanx Howard,

Just letting you know that all components i have listed are brand new except the grapchis card which i recently exchanged for a Radeon 9800Pro 128 mb. and yes i only have one piece of every component connected to the mobo.
I cant test the memory as i can not even install windows xp.

howard_hopkinso said:
The memory test runs independently of windows, so you shouldn`t have a problem there.

Regards Howard :)

Thanx, i will try it out and see if the ram is causing the problem

Ilp00na,
you don't need to quote every previous answer, just press the Post Reply button on the left underneath the last post in a thread, or click on the icon with the piece of paper and the quill, on the far right in each post (to the right of the Quote button).

Dear everyone;

Thanx for you suggestions. yesterday i ran a memory test as advised by you and yes the RAM is FAULTY. I just cant believe it, i bought it as brand new !!! I dont know whats wrong with these companies, do they never check their products before dispatching them !!!

So after running the memory test i got more than 2000 errors (particularly test5 and test 7). I have just sent an email to the company from which i bought the ram hoping they would exchange it for a new one (was bought 10 days ago).

My biggest fear is that the CPU is corrupted as well ?? is there anyway to test the CPU ??? :dead: :dead: :dead:

You can take your cpu to your local pc repair shop and have it tested. This should only cost a few dollars.

You should check to see that the ram you have got, are getting, is compatible with your mobo. Your mobo manufacturers website should have info on this.

Some mobo`s can be very pick with ram compatibility.

Hopefully, once you get some good ram, your problems will be solved.

Howard,

I am a little bit confused over here. i have been reading through Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic web page when i came accross:

Please be aware that not all errors reported by Memtest86 are due to bad memory. The test implicitly tests the CPU, L1 and L2 caches as well as the motherboard. It is impossible for the test to determine what causes the failure to occur. However, most failures will be due to a problem with memory module. When it is not, the only option is to replace parts until the failure is corrected.

Sometimes memory errors show up due to component incompatibility. A memory module may work fine in one system and not in another. This is not uncommon and is a source of confusion. In these situations the components are not necessarily bad but have marginal conditions that when combined with other components will cause errors.

There have been numerous reports of errors with only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.

all the error i am getting are Test 5 and Test 7 errors.

Cool, I will try to get a new RAM as soon as possible :hotbounce

Do you think 1gb DDR400 is good for an ASRock 775VGA 880Pro Mobo ???

thanx :)

Provided the make/size/speed of the ram is supported by your mobo, there shouldn`t be a problem.

But, you do need to check for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back