Nike will release 2nd gen self-lacing shoes at half the price of the originals

mongeese

Staff
Big quote: "I’m excited to announce that in the new year we’ll launch a new adaptive performance platform in basketball at the $350 price point," Nike’s CEO Mark Parker said in an earnings report. "We have a smart shoe designed for the perfect fit, and it’s a major step in advancing and connecting our digital transformation to product."

While the return of the infamous self-lacing shoes is no shock – the use of 1.0 in the original’s name being a bit of a giveaway – being less than half the price of the originals is a pretty sweet deal. According to Nike Executive Vice President Andy Campion, the Hyperadapt 2.0 will arrive in Spring next year.

Back in 2016, Nike announced the Hyperadapt 1.0, a “robotic” basketball shoe that automatically tightened its shoelaces once a sensor was tripped in the heel. The cost was pretty steep at $720, but nearly three years later, it’s still the only pair to be available to the public. Puma has been putting on the pressure, however, releasing a limited run of 30 self-tightening sneakers that could be controlled via an app.

The only confirmed info for the Hyperactive 2.0 is the price - $350. While it’s still a ridiculous amount for a basketball shoe, as a pioneer of one of the coolest pieces of sci-fi tech, it’s forgivable. If you’d rather pay a little less, however, rumors have it that the future will deliver. Research on the project has been continuing for more than a decade, according to Bay McLaughlin, COO and co-founder of Brinc and one of the lucky few who received a self-lacing Puma.

Back to the Future got some funky things right, like drones, biometrics and digital payments, but almost nothing was as cool as self-lacing shoes. Now, all we’re waiting for is a hoverboard that doesn’t catch on fire and burn your house down.

Permalink to story.

Self-lacing shoes with an external charger - that is both stupid and lame.

We apply so much pressure on the soles as we walk, that if translated into energy, can be enough 100 times over for what's needed to auto-lace/fit the shoes. Either get it done right, or don't bother at all, because nobody will care, beside some back-to-the-future crazies.

Even cars have been using similar approach for a number of years at this point, converting breaking power into energy. With shoes it should be a lot simpler. That's what I meant when I called it lame. The technology is there, and has been for a while, so what the hell is the problem?

Last edited:
Well, there's another "skill set" that will soon be lost to time.

How to tie shoes. :p

When I hit 500 lbs and can't see my feet I'll be ready to buy ..... but now with 325 lbs to go I think I'll just pass ..... LOL

Seems a bit of irony went into marketing these. Shoes being sold as sports shoes. Yet the concept means you are too lazy to tie them.

We humans are becoming too lazy.

Very short-sighted. This is an extremely good product for the handicapped. Well, potentially*, as the guys above mentioned, external battery pack is stupid and converting energy from pressure/etc would be better.

Very short-sighted. This is an extremely good product for the handicapped. Well, potentially*, as the guys above mentioned, external battery pack is stupid and converting energy from pressure/etc would be better.
That's the same argument manufacturers rely on for everything they want to unload. Autonomous cars, for the handicapped, self tying sneakers, for the handicapped, touchscreen desktop monitors, for the handicapped, Alexa, dial the phone, for the handicapped, and on and on.

I like the vision of the "future" they had in the movie "Wall-E", with massively fat useless people floating around on air mattresses. Them food stamps have gotten morbid obesity to start kicking in at around age 12, at least in my neighborhood. It would seem the future's just around the corner.

Make yourself as fat as possible by stuffing your face all day long, give yourself diabetes, and they give you an electric cart to get in everyone else's way at the Walmart grocery department. Now if any one needs self tying sneakers, it's the people who have gone out of their way to handicap themselves.

"Six ax handles broad", no longer attaches solely to Paul Bunyan's ox.

Last edited:
Yeah, this could be very useful for my handicapped grandmother, she has no legs.

She walks on her hands?

hand-in-shoe.jpg

While I like the idea. Charging of this type would be less productive for the handicap. There would still be need in external charging.

I suppose you just leave your shoes and wirelessly charge them. It's quite inconvenient and depends how long the charge lasts. But not having to kneel down and tie your laces because you have back problems or worse is an extremely advantageous thing.

I still want my Air Mags from BTTF, but they are ridiculous price and never get re-released.

I suppose you just leave your shoes and wirelessly charge them. It's quite inconvenient and depends how long the charge lasts. But not having to kneel down and tie your laces because you have back problems or worse is an extremely advantageous thing.
Yeah, and that's why they invented "Velcro".

Yeah, and that's why they invented "Velcro".

You can also boil your coffee in a pot rather than a kettle. Technology change, improved.
Velcro still makes you bend down brother.

What I don't get is why do people constantly have to bring down new emerging tech that may improve someones life because "well the old way was good enough"?

It's like those people who think the space program is a waste of money and we should focus on issues on this planet.

You can also boil your coffee in a pot rather than a kettle. Technology change, improved.
Velcro still makes you bend down brother.
Working on that premise, you can also sit down and raise your foot.

What I don't get is why do people constantly have to bring down new emerging tech that may improve someones life because "well the old way was good enough"?
Since you want to hang the excuse for these sneakers on the idea that they would be great for the handicapped, then they should require a doctor's prescription and be covered by health insurance

It's like those people who think the space program is a waste of money and we should focus on issues on this planet
I certainly don't think the space program is a waste of money. You're just being absurd.
In fact, the first time I saw a B-2 "Lancer", I said we should buy a lot more of these instead of pumping seemingly endless amounts of money into the ghetto to support illegitimate children.

On a more serious note, while I full well realize that certain occupations with heavy and/or repetitive tasking can cause disabilities, why does all this new junk continually take away more physical effort. Stretching is good for you, if not taken to extremes, so are many other forms of exercise.

I'm of the opinion that the more common forms of effort you avoid, the sooner the disabilities of old age will set in.

I'm old. I don't find getting down on my knees to change the cat litter a particularly comfortable task. But then I'm not going to spring to have a lifting platrorm installed under the litter pan(s) either.

Although I did treat myself to a remote control light dimmer, so I can kill the lights as I'm getting ready to watching a movie.

Last edited:
Working on that premise, you can also sit down and raise your foot.

You brought up the premise

Since you want to hang the excuse for these sneakers on the idea that they would be great for the handicapped, then they should require a doctor's prescription and be covered by health insurance

There are many other treatments which help but are 1) too expensive or 2) still relatively new that are not covered or prescribed. What's your point?

certainly don't thgink the space program is a waste of money. You're just being absurd.
In fact, the first time I saw a B-2 "Lancer", I said we should buy a lot more of these instead of pumping seemingly endless amounts of money into the ghetto to support illegitimate children.

There are people with absurd ideologies, I am just pointing out a rabbit hole.

The point being is that with the level of thinking you have presented above, we would never have nice things. You just seem to forget. There are simply too many applications for this type of infant technology.

I just do not understand why you are hanged up on hating on these type of technologies. Sure at the current state they are still inconvenient due to charging but can you comprehend how many people would benefit from this?

Unless you are taking the piss, but maybe 4chan is a more suited medium to do that.

...[ ]....I just do not understand why you are hanged up on hating on these type of technologies. Sure at the current state they are still inconvenient due to charging but can you comprehend how many people would benefit from this?...[ ]....
Your complete inability to differentiate between trash and trinkets being rammed down the public's throat, for the sole purpose of raping John Q. Public's back accounts, with "progress", I find somewhat perplexing.

9631798_orig.jpg

I fail to see how self-lace shoes help anything. If you can't lace your own shoes, you likely need help in more areas than lacing your shoes. These self-lace shoes will not make anyone self-sufficient.

Back