Nintendo expects 2022 Switch sales to be lower than last two years due to chip shortage,...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Finding a graphics card might not be as difficult as it once was, but anyone hoping to buy a Nintendo Switch later this year could struggle to do so. According to a new report, Nintendo expects to sell 10% fewer Switch consoles in 2022 due to the chip shortage and logistical disruptions.

After only launching in 2017, the Switch has become Nintendo's best-selling home console of all time with an amazing 103.54 million units sold—it reached 100 million units faster than any other console in history.

But while consumer demand for the Switch remains high, Nintendo expects to sell 20 million units this year, which is 10% down from its FY 2021 sales and a massive 30% lower than the previous year, when sales peaked at 28.83 million units. And it's all because of that constant scourge of hardware makers: the chip shortage.

Nintendo is no stranger to this sort of thing. Nikkei Asia reports that Nintendo had planned to produce 30 million Switch consoles in FY 2021, but the shortage of components saw it lower the forecast to 23 million last fall.

In December, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa warned that the Nintendo Switch devices could soon face the same availability issues as many other consumer electronic goods. That was before the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the Covid lockdowns in China, which have exacerbated global logistical and production issues.

At the time of writing, Amazon shows only four Nintendo Switch consoles in stock and no OLED models. If the reports are accurate, Nintendo fans might want to buy a Switch sooner rather than later.

Permalink to story.

Or maybe if they actually made a "4k switch" with some anti-aliasing their sales would go up. Before I sold my switch I can't think of a single time I used it in an undocked mode.

They really need to step up when the Steam Deck is actually competing in similar market. It's not enough anymore to have super-cl0sed device without such basics like media application (even Netflix would do) and very expensive, old games (dont mind high release price, but after years they do not go down enough), not to mention lack of sensible BC.
I get that all on Deck plus I can play Switch games. For me choice is simple.

Or maybe if they actually made a "4k switch" with some anti-aliasing their sales would go up. Before I sold my switch I can't think of a single time I used it in an undocked mode.

Your experience isn't everyone's. Many kids use it undocked, and considering it's already passed the OG Playstation's entire lifetime sales in 5 years, maybe Nintendo-sama knows a thing or 2.

Who wants a Switch and hasn't already bought one? It's been five years.

It's depressing that the Switch has seen such massive success. Wii U-era Nintendo was much better, but the customers have spoken: they like the new mediocre, consumer-unfriendly Nintendo better, so Nintendo has no reason to do any different from now on.

Who wants a Switch and hasn't already bought one? It's been five years.
Welp, seeing as they are still out of stock and expect to sell as many as they can make, I'd say there's a lot of people who may want one.

It's depressing that the Switch has seen such massive success. Wii U-era Nintendo was much better, but the customers have spoken: they like the new mediocre, consumer-unfriendly Nintendo better, so Nintendo has no reason to do any different from now on.
It's fascinating to see people get this mad over the switch being successful, while defending the era of endless Nintendo rehashes as being a better era.

It's fascinating to see people get this mad over the switch being successful, while defending the era of endless Nintendo rehashes as being a better era.
Pre-Switch era was the era of endless Nintendo rehashes? The Switch's first party output has been dominated by full-price Wii U ports. If that's not a rehash, I don't know what is.

Here's a list of ways the Wii U era was better than the current one:

• Online multiplayer was free instead of requiring a paid subscription.
  • Virtual Console was alive and well, with the option to buy many great older games, including ones from systems that one wouldn't have expected, like GBA and DS. Switch, by contrast, only has NSO, with a much more limited selection of games that you can't buy.
  • Nintendo charm was still intact, with the system UI having that Nintendo appeal and having catchy music as opposed to none at all.
  • Club Nintendo/My Nintendo was way better during that era, providing actual games as rewards.
  • First party original (meaning non-port) game output was (subjectively) significantly better.
  • Nintendo Selects was still a thing.
  • The eShop wasn't flooded with half as much shovelware.
  • Hardware build quality was higher. The GamePad was built like a tank and did not suffer from thumbstick drift.
  • Iwata was still alive (for part of it) and Reggie was still around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back