Nintendo is expected to finish 2021 on a high note

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: The earnings boost brought about by the pandemic has seemingly waned as Nintendo in its latest financial report is looking more like its old self. That’s not bad, per se, but it’s not a Covid-19 sales spike, either.

In the three-month period ending June 30, 2021, Nintendo sold 4.45 million Switch hardware units and 45.29 million pieces of software. During the same period a year ago (as the pandemic was ramping up and stay-at-home orders were widely in effect), Nintendo sold 5.68 million Switch consoles and 50.43 million pieces of software.

Life-to-date sales of the Switch now sit at 89.04 million units.

Nintendo’s shares are down 1.59 percent from yesterday’s close, at $63.81.

Despite drifting back down to reality, Nintendo is in a very strong position heading into the final stretch of 2021. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword dropped on July 16 and minigame compilation WarioWare: Get It Together! Is coming on September 10. Metroid Dread lands on October 8, Mario Party Superstars launches October 29 and Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl rounds out the year on November 19.

That's not all, however, as Nintendo is also gearing up to release an upgraded version of the Switch with an OLED panel in October and a limited edition version of the Game & Watch: The Legend of Zelda featuring four games that’ll drop on November 12.

Permalink to story.

Actually, the most significant development for Nintendo could end up being Pokemon Unite: mostly because they're basically using a moba game to go full on gacha mechanics for what's a sort of in-house title (I know Pokemon company is not entirely Nintendo, but close enough)

It can potentially finally bring Nintendo both healthy profit from direct hardware sales, healthy profit from shared revenue on game sales and really big boy revenue from the well documented, predatory tactics made famous by mobile gaming.

It's every game publisher rich bastard's dream right there.

I’m still on the fence about skyward sword. I love Zelda but I like it because I can sit back on the sofa, grab the pro controller and relax but skyward sword apparently will have me waving my joy cons around or if I want to use the controller or my switch lite il need to hold the r button all the time.

Why didn’t they remake windwaker or ocarina of time? It would have a lot better received than the Wii’s finest.

Actually, the most significant development for Nintendo could end up being Pokemon Unite: mostly because they're basically using a moba game to go full on gacha mechanics for what's a sort of in-house title (I know Pokemon company is not entirely Nintendo, but close enough)

It can potentially finally bring Nintendo both healthy profit from direct hardware sales, healthy profit from shared revenue on game sales and really big boy revenue from the well documented, predatory tactics made famous by mobile gaming.

It's every game publisher rich bastard's dream right there.

Eh. Pokémon Unite is the Pokémon Company and Tencent. Mainly Tencent tbh.

It'll probably do alright, but I doubt it'll affect how Nintendo operate much. Their other dabbles with the likes of Mario Run have shown them that being predatory isn't worth pursuing much.

And at least Unite is still playable for free despite having some obvious p2w features. For now at least.

Pokemon Unite is extremely fun. One of the main things I like is the shortness of the matches. Even though this will release on mobile later, I wouldn't be surprised if this game sells a few Switch consoles, especially since it's free to play, even without an online subscription.

Back