"No Audio Device" after downgrading from Vista to XP

handy

The topic basically sums it up. I have a HP pavilion dv4-1435dx and I've downgraded from Vista (factory default) to XP. I have no sound.

When I go to Control Panel and then to Sounds and Audio Devices Properties where the device name should be (I'm guessing) it reads "No Audio Device".

According to the Device Manager everything should be working perfectly, i.e., there are no yellow exclamation marks and I can't find any unknown device.

I've been trying to solve this problem for a few days and I've been looking in forums but I still haven't found a solution.

Suggestions?
Thanks!

Start here and then let us know if problem continues [post=926040]Reference Guides to Help Setup and Troubleshoot Windows Audio and Sound Cards[/post]

Thanks for the link, but the great majority of it didn't apply to me.

While checking for the ones that might have applied to my situation, I noticed a few things that I think are worth mentioning

1-
When trying to manually add the hardware (from the Add Hardware application in Control Panel) I didn't have the option to select my sound hardware. From what I can see here,
[link to hp]
it lists the sound has Altec Lansing, but I wasn't given that option while manually adding it.

2-
When going to the Sounds and Audio Devices application, in the Hardware tab, the first device listed is my CD drive! What's the deal with that? Plus, my CD drive works perfectly.

3-
At some point I wondered if the problem could be with the motherboard drivers because, after all, the sound hardware is connected to the motherboard (does this make sense?). I check from Intel
[link to intel]
But I get that they don't support this device?
Product Detected Audio Codecs
Current Driver Installed 5.1.2535.0
This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. More information>>
How can that be?

Any other suggestions? :)

P.S.: Apparently I'm not allowed to post links, so I removed them.

You need a certain minimum number of posts till you can include links (i think it's 5).

But what i'll look at next:

List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, also let me know
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

I did as you said.

1-
No problem devices. It's empty.

2-
I've attached the file you requested.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    41.7 KB · Views: 3
I was taking a look at the said file, and it says that no sound card has been installed. So I thought I'd also attach a picture of the sound section in the device manager.

Attachments

• sound.png
    sound.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 4
What i can see...

Your computer has Hi Def Audio. By definition, this means you have both an audio bus controller chip PLUS a sound card.
Windows <===> Audio Bus controller <===> Sound Card​
The bus controller is detected and driver installed. The sound card that connects to it is "missing in action"

Try this first:
Open DevMgr
> Under System Devices, look for Controlador de bus de Microsoft UAA para High Definition Audio. This is your audio bus controller
> Rt click, select Uninstall. Then reboot

The driver will be reinstalled on reboot. On reboot, the driver is reinstalled and the controller will try looking for your sound card again. It SOMETIMES helps.

After startup, look again under Sound. Does your Sound Card now appear? Or anything show up under an Other Device category?

/* EDIT */

Also, check your BIOS. Is there a setting for Onboard Audio? If yes, it should be set Enabled or Automatic. Did you find this setting?

Hahah it worked :p

Additionally, it also detected new stuff that hadn't detected before, like a modem, which I'll try to install now.

Thanks a lot! :D

Aditionally, there are certain expressions which I don't really know what they mean and which also hinder me when trying to troubleshoot my computer. Where can I learn about the difference between brand, vendor, manufacturer and such? Again, thanks!

Woo-Hoo! Glad to hear your sound works again :grinthumb

Aditionally, there are certain expressions which I don't really know what they mean and which also hinder me when trying to troubleshoot my computer. Where can I learn about the difference between brand, vendor, manufacturer and such? Again, thanks!
Hmmm.... well, i don't know if there's a dictionary of terms available but i can give you my own opinion

> I think terms "vendor" and "manufacturer" are synonymous and are used interchangeably

> I think "brand" is also often used interchangeably with above terms too BUT sometimes i think when people say "brand" they really mean the "model"

So "Sony" would be the vendor and manufacturer as well as the brand

Tho i think sometimes when someone asks for "brand" they really mean to ask you about the model (e.g. Sony Vaio)

Hmm wierd. The following thing happens. I did what you said and like you know, it worked. But when I reboot the computer it goes back to the way it was. Now I've checked that if I repeat the process and reboot it, it goes back to work. But when I reboot it yet again, goes back to not working; no sound, no device...

Don't know if it's relevant that you answer this, because I'll have to return the computer to my friend soon, so I don't know if I'll have time to try it. Thanks anyway.

Hi handy

In any case, I don't have a solution for the situation you now describe but i do have a "best guess" explanation.....

I think the odd behavior you're seeing with the sound card is a side affect of downgrading the computer from Vista to XP. I'll explain

1. That HP computer "officially" only supports vista and Win 7. The sound card chip is really designed to be working with a different driver then one you found for XP
(fyi... When Windows looks for a hardware driver, it will use the best one "available". Meaning it would be using the Vista driver normally but settles for the XP driver since that's what is currently needed 'cuz you downgraded)

2. Also, i've seen other odd behavior when i tried downgrading a couple different HP's myself (one for my niece, where all the drivers installed and system boots but had such problematic behavior i restored it back to Vista)

So don't know solution if your friend is going to stick to the XP downgrade other then
1) Having to reinstall the audio controller each time (i know, a pain)
2) Or get a cheap USB sound card (google for it) instead of using the onboard sound card

Back