No audio device problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a new Dell dimension E521 with Windows vista premium pre-installed. Yesterday my speakers suddenly stopped working. I have already tried uninstalling the sigmatel drivers, but this didn't help. On the internet I have found evidence that there is a problem with sigmatel audio drivers and windows Vista.
However, the sound worked fine for the first few days, so I doubt this is the cause of the problem.
Under device manager there doesn't appear to be a problem, but the sound icon in the bottom right corner shows a red cross. When looking at the properties it says: " no audio device installed"

On other websites people with an intel motherboard have found compatible drivers off the intel website. I think my motherboard is AMD based, so can anyone please help me?

P.S The problem appears to be widespread. Look for "sigmatel "no audio device installed" in google.

Uninstall or disable the audio drivers, then download and install a new set... or if already done, rollback to an earlier audio driver set.
Also, the standard speakers on the E521 fail early and easily if overdriven at all... You might just try another speaker set temporarily to see if there is a change.

I have tried disabling the drivers and installing previous versions, but this didn't solve the problem. I have even tried the win XP drivers. I don't think the problem lies with my speakers because headphones don't work either.
Whenever I try to play a song in windows media player or iTunes I get an error message saying that "a problem with my audio configuration has been detected"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back