No display on startup

So finally collected together some cash to build a new system, and after putting together the entire rig I found the screen is not receiving any image or errors, and there is no sound coming from the PC speaker either.

I have tried putting it back to the basics, just Motherboard + 1 stick of ram + graphics card, and still no picture or error message.

PSU fan graphics card fans and all case fans work. even tried removing it from the case and starting it with a screw driver in-case it was a short in the case stopping me. I really have no idea what is wrong with it. will admit this is the first computer I have built from all the base components.

COOLER MASTER 700W eXtreme Power Plus SLI Silent 12CM Fan Newest ATX 12V V2.3 Dual +12V1

GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R X58 CORE i7 LGA1366, 3 channel DDR3 2100+, USB 3.0 & SATA3, 3 way Cross

COOLER MASTER CM690 II ADVANCED LIMITED STOCK MID TOWER Pure Black Superior Airflow Perfor

Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Processor Socket 1366 ( 8MB L3 Cache)

OCZ Intel Extreme XMP 6G DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Triple Channel Kit (3 x 2GB) , CAS 8-8

Gigabyte N450OC-1GI GTS450 1G OVER Clocking Version

Let's start with the PSU connections. is the graphics card PCI-E power connector plugged in? Is the 8 pin ATX 12V connector to the motherboard plugged in?

If so, can you substitute a known good graphics card? Do you have a good power supply to substitute?

Also -

is there an on board vga output? If so, remove graphics card, and try on board. If the result is the same, chances are that the motherboard may require a cmos reset, or is faulty.

If the on board vga is ok, then it may be the graphics card.

Assuming of course that the screen is working ok - if no error message on screen at all, or no 'no signal input' message, check the monitor as a preliminary

Back