No monitor, keyboard signal, RAM and GFX card tested and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinvex

Hi!

I have a computer that was working perfectly and after using compressed air it won't give a signal to the monitor, the keyboard doesn't light up (I'm assuming no power to the mouse either), and there is no beep when I start it. Internet cable lights up when I connect it, and the speakers make a "pop" noise like its receiving signal fromt the sound card. I tested the monitor, RAM, and graphics card on another computer and they seem fine...Fans are running okay and I removed the little circular battery from the mother board for half an hour to drain it, but still nothing.

Does this sound like a motherboard problem? I have a K9N platinum and if you suggest it is this, can you recommend a new motherboard (as this doesn't seem to be easy to come by anymore)? Hopefully its not the hard drive...

Thank you for checking this one out....and PS - baby steps are appreciated!

When you used the compressed air a) how far from your components did you spray? and b) did you turn the can upside down when spraying?

Also, where did you spray and did you use short bursts, long burst, or one long continuous spray?

If you do wind up needing a new motherboard -- and I'm NOT saying you do -- NewEgg has several offerings that will run your AM2 cpu in AM2+/AM2 boards.

By the way, that "little circular battery" is called the CMOS battery.

I sprayed a few inches from the components continuously, and I think that I may have turned it upside down a few times to reach everywhere...would this be the culprit?

It could very well be because turning it upside down will cause moisture and a long continuous spray can also cause condensation on parts which is not good.

Here is one suggestion and it can tedious but many have used this diagnostic proccedure including myself when I couldn't get a new build to boot.

Remove/uninstall all hardware except your power cable to your motherboard, cpu, and one stick of RAM. Boot-up. If it is successful shut-down and add one pice of hardware and boot-up. Again if successful repeat and so on.

By the way, did you check all of your cables to make sure they are secure? You say fans are running okay. Does this include your cpu and video card?

I will try the "tedious" approach and do one more thorough check of the connections then, too, and I'll post back the results...

All of the fans are working, including for the CPU and graphics card.

With the spray, would the condensation basically short circuit the M/B? Or is there a way to remove it once its been done (assuming that is the problem)? I wasn't sure if this was something that would mess the board up only partially or what....

Another thought, if it means anything, is a friend said it doesn't sound like its "POSTing", but I'm not that savvy:)

Btw, thank you for your help!

You're welcome. The condensation will evaporate. One other thing, did you in any way touch the motherboard or other parts and experience a small static electric shock?

Will be looking forward on hearing how the system works with just pasu, cpu, and one stick of RAM.

I have the battery connected to the motherboard, the processor, and have one stick of RAM. I started it up, and the fan is going, but still no beep, and the "front power button", that would normally be lit up, only comes on momentarily when I press the button.

I am assuming this means it is okay, although this is the same response as everything plugged in, so I will keep going...But in all honestly I'm not sure what to look for...

Also, it still takes the or so seconds to shut off from the front, if that helps.

I did not experience any shock at all, and grounded myself before doing anything....

EDIT: I lied, I had left some wires still attached at the bottom, but after reattaching those, the blue light now stays on, although still no beep...

Okay I put the video card in, attached the monitor, and started it up, but still theres's no signal... if I pull the video cable from the computer, the monitor pops up with a "color test". The monitor works with another computer, and so does the graphics card.

Does this mean there is a connection issue between the card and the motherboard?

Is there a way to clean or replace just this part of the board, or should I start looking for another board?

Again, thank you for all of your help:)

Wow, the parts work but not the system as a whole. How old is this system?

On the motherboard check for bulging caps.

Question: What is your budget?

I think about five years old...

I'm not sure what bulging caps are...

Is around 200 dollars being cheap?

I'm not terribly worried with price however, and if you would recommend something that seriously kicks this boards *** and would allow me to do professional audio/ video oriented editing, that would be great too:)

See link for bulging caps which are bad: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...es?q=bulging+caps&hl=en&sa=G&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1

You want "to do professional audio/ video oriented editing." To do this you the more cores on your cpus the better. Graphics are important but from everything I have read the number of cores on the cpu is the critical factor.

Have you considered saving up for a new system? :) Meanwhile we can get you a new motherboard to tie you over -- IF that is what is called for here.

Give us your current hardware specs including cpu.

And no, for a motherboard that is not cheap.

This was built by a friend of mine, so looking inside, here is what I can find:

K9N Platinum MSI w/ AMD processor (I'm not sure where to look for the model number)

GE Force 7300 GS Video Card

Antec SU 430 Battery

2 - Seagate 400GB HDs

2 - 1 GB RAM sticks

----------
This has all the specs of the K9N, I hope this is what you are talking about -
K9N Platinum - MSI (This wouldn't copy & paste correctly
--------

And as far as a motherboard to tie me over - that would be awesome right now...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help on this...

I looked at your motherboard and it certainly was a very nice board.

If you can get us the exact AMD cpu specs we can move forward. The only thing I am hesitant on is that we are not 100% sure it is your motherboard and thus don't5 want you to spend needless $ on one if you don't really need it/wasn't the issue.

CPU AMD|A64 X2 4200+ AM2 2x512K - this was from the original order... does this work?

Also, I am at a loss for what else it could possibly be...is there anything else you have seen be the problem, or does it not make sense for this to happen?

PS - the capacitors seem fine to me...

CPU AMD|A64 X2 4200+ AM2 2x512K - this was from the original order... does this work?

Also, I am at a loss for what else it could possibly be...is there anything else you have seen be the problem, or does it not make sense for this to happen?

PS - the capacitors seem fine to me...

Yes, good information, It sounds like the motherboard is the issue but with the limitation of forums without actually seeing your system for ourselves one can often only make an educated guess.

I have been searching for AM2+/AM2 boards and believe it or not these are being phased out fast. NewEgg has several models to choose from but these are the Micro versions. Still good boards but their form is smaller than the standard ATX.

Do you still wish to proceed?

By all means, please proceed:)

Really anything that works, and hopefully leaves further room for expansion and a reasonable amount of upgrading:)

Smaller or not, I am definitely more preoccupied with speed than anything...

By all means, please proceed:)

Really anything that works, and hopefully leaves further room for expansion and a reasonable amount of upgrading:)

Smaller or not, I am definitely more preoccupied with speed than anything...

Well your speed is limited to your cpu and the amount of RAM you have installed as well as your video card. Let's see what we can find but keep in mind finding a board for your cpu will limit your upgrade potential. Trying to locate just a AM2 board is very difficult. Am2+/AM2 boards have a few offerings and the AM3/Am2+/AM2 boards are even more numerous.

With a $200 budget perhaps we can find upgrades that more than just motherboard. Perhaps RAM (you want at least 2 gigs) and with a little more money a cpu.

* Here is your cpu: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16819103741 DDR2800 is the fastest speed RAM it is designed for.

I am going to ask Ritwik7 to lend his advice. He loves helping people with builds.

Cool and I know I keep saying this but, really, thank you!

As this is all new to me, I have the hard drives with all my info on them... is a complicated task to put this all back together once I know what parts to buy? I've been running XP and if this means I need to upgrade I'm sure its for the better, I just don't want to lose any of the info or programs if I can avoid it:)

Any advice you have with this is appreciated as well:)

We're here to help as best we can.

I contacted Ritwik7 and hopefully he'll respond but being from India it will take a number of hours.

Here is something to consider: Replacement motherboard and 2 gigs of RAM and then use your other parts. Then begin saving up for a whole new system that utilizes the faster newest processors, DDR3 RAM, and faster video cards. Depending on what your current harddrive is, monitor, case, etc. are the only other thing you will need to purchase is a new power supply.

Firstly, did you test your PSU on another machine. Though I don't think that it's the problem, better to get it out of the way.

It's difficult to say what's wrong with the system. Looks like the motherboard. I'm not too sure if CPU failure would show similar symptoms.

If you're lookinig for a similar motherboard for your processor, then here's a selection : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...on 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 / Sempron

It would be better to simply put in some more money and get these instead:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz - $95.99
GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 - $79.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 - $101.99

It comes to about $280.

You could save some money by opting for 2GB instead of 4GB RAM. Later upgrade your video card.

Rit, thanks for looking in on this. That 620 Propos is one sweet little quad. dinvex in a previous post stated that he wanted an upgrade that would "allow me to do professional audio/ video oriented editing, that would be great too."

The number of cores is of central importance to professional audio/video editing which the Propos offers. However, would he not be better off with a quad that has L3 Cache especially in light of what he wants to do?

For $35 more dollars he could get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103656

Just a thought.

I replaced the motherboard, and I'm still having the same symptoms... Do you think this could this be a problem with the processor?

M2N68-AM Plus

Thanks Rit and Route44 for all of your input!

...As for the PSU, I did try it on another computer, and it powered everything up just fine.

With the upgrade...I plan on getting everything in about a month, and my budget will be around 5 to 6 hundred, so that would work fine, plus anything else you'd recommend:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back