No Privacy(EXIF) -- we've met the enemy and it are us!

D

DelJo63

Pogo once said this decades ago and it's still true - - WE are our own worst enemy. We share our lives willingly on social media and then wonder why & how others know so much about us.

Our mobile devices are complicit in this problem as most never take the time to understand that these devices enable default settings that usually benefit the programmers and providers rather than the user. I got into a habit at looking a settings from using my laptop - - I want as much battery life as possible, so I started limiting what was active, in particular, Internet and radio settings (aka wifi and bluetooth).

The smartphone is loaded with feedback and location information, so I noticed Location Services (iPhone) and discovered lots of needless information (imo) was being collected. Here's a biggie to me Photos with EXIF information.

EXIF Data discloses your current location.

First, what is EXIF? Exchangeable image file format (see the wiki)
(officially Exif, according to JEIDA/JEITA/CIPA specifications) is a standard that specifies the formats for images, sound, and ancillary tags used by digital cameras (including smartphones), scanners and other systems handling image and sound files recorded by digital cameras.

There's some 'useful data' in the EXIF metadata:
  • camera settings
  • name tags (you've created after the fact)
  • location data
and that last one supports A geotagged photograph;

Some mobile phones with assisted GPS use the cell phone network
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_assisted_GPS

Do you OBJECT to having your photos tracking your life?
On an iPhone, head to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Camera,
and then select “Never” for the “Allow Location Access” option.
The Camera app won’t have access to your location and won’t be able to embed it in photos.​

On Android, this process varies from phone to phone. Different manufacturers include
their own custom Camera apps, and even the Android 4.4 Camera app works differently
than in Android 5.0. Dig around your camera app’s quick settings toggles or settings
screen and look for an option that disables this feature—or just perform a quick
web search to find out how to disable it on your phone and its camera app.​

Remember, You can always strip out the location information on your own if you want to share a
photo—that’s why so many services automatically remove the geolocation details when
you share the photo with someone else.

https://www.howtogeek.com/211427/ho...oto-was-taken-and-keep-your-location-private/

Hi This is a great article @jobeard . Why it hasn't gotten more responses, I don't know. I guess if we choose to be on the internet, someone will know what we are doing. I use to use Tor, but I got tried of it. My wife and I share the same PC and she didn't like Tor, so I ditched it. I see this being highly advertised in my area. Have no idea if it's any good. Not recommending it, but here's the link if you want to check it out.;) Please delete this reply if it's not appropriate for techspot forum. I think we might as well get use "no privacy" We can slow it down, but I don't think we can stop it. That's my 2cents.:D
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2479241,00.asp
PS This is not my first rodeo. I have been around the block a couple of times.*nerd*Not sure that's a good thing ROFL. I am who I am! I liked your HTG link.

Last edited:
Back