No screen after new agp install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gouki1340

Just added a new agp card,uninstalled all old drivers,ran driver cleaner pro,mage sure everything is seated tightly and still a blank screen with a beep every three seconds when i reboot.

Windows xp sp3,p4 3.2gig,4096 ram.Any ideas in bios such as apeture size,should i let bios or os configure plug and play?Totally lost here.Thx

Hmm you quoted the OS but not the Hardware
Are you sure the AGP Card is compatible with your rig

a new agp card
Do they still these? Obviously yes

Better to update to PCI-Express

kimsland said:
Hmm you quoted the OS but not the Hardware
Are you sure the AGP Card is compatible with your rig

Do they still these? Obviously yes

Better to update to PCI-Express
Yeah its def compatible,mobo is intel d865glc,old agp card is a radeon 9600,and im sure the card is good,the fan on it comes on immediately soon as i power on the pc.

Intel d865glc
AGP 4X and 8X graphics cards supported - 1.5V only
From here: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865glc/lc_compat.htm

Radeon 9600
System Requirements
Intel® Pentium® 4/III/II/Celeron™, AMD® K6/Duron™/Athlon®/Athlon XP® or compatible with AGP 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v)
From here: http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9600/radeon9600pro/specs.html

I'm a little confused at the 8X issue on the Radeon 9600, it says 0.8V
This might be the issue, not sure - hardware compatability confuses me sometimes

Minimum System Requirements

HIS X1600 AGP series requires connection to your PCs internal power supply for operation. A 450 watt power supply or greater is recommended to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon or compatible with AGP 8x (0.8V), 4x (1.5V) or universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (8x/4x) (2 free slot space)

There's that damn 0.8Volt again

Might need someone in the know about this.
But according to all this, your board (only 1.5Volt) is not compatible

Thats the thing,the 9600 is 0.8 and works jut fine,dunno if im there is an onboard video or not I have to disable.

If you go to CMOS press DEL or F2 or what ever the key is to get into CMOS when you start your computer up. There should be an area that says use AGP 8X or 4X.

I thought you were aware of CMOS (not sure why I thought that)

Going by the beep codes I think the card is DOA.Just wondering though if I can use a pci card since I have 3 pci slots and an option in the bios to use agp or pci,if so am I better off going with pci instead of agp?

There's a PCI only video thread here, somewhere. They all state how wonderful it is. But those extra slots (AGP or PCI-Express) were made for addon video cards. So I say if you have them, use them.

As I stated earlier (post#2) I prefer you upgrade to another m/b and then add a PCI-Express card. AGP is now old hardware, and increasingly harder to locate lots of cards (now I know there are new ones and all) but why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back