Black screen after installing graphics driver?

Hey all,
having some graphics card problems and would appreciate any help.
I built two identical computers for my parents from spare parts and some new components just to give them something to use until they can buy something newer. Both work fine with the onboard graphics, but video play back performance is obviously low (very choppy). Trying to install an upgraded graphics card and does the same thing in both systems.

System specs:
Dell Optiplex GX260
Windows XP home, SP3
2.4GHz Pentium 4, 1GB ram
Onboard graphics is Intel 82845G

Graphics card I'm trying to install is a PNY VCG62256APG
This is a Nvidia Geforce 6200 card, ddr2 256 mb, 4/8x AGP interface
Should mention the card was new last winter and hasn't been installed in any other PC's.
When I install the card and boot up it shows the specs of the graphics card in the upper left corner. Goes through the normal bios and windows boot screens. Windows opens in a low res graphics mode, says found new hardware etc etc, loads nvidia driver from windows update and prompts a reboot. After the reboot it goes through the load screens again and shows the windows boot screen with the progress bar for about 15 seconds, then just goes black. Monitor says "no signal" and goes into stand by. If I restart in safe mode I get a signal back and can open windows but in low res of course. Tried updating driver with the newest one from nvidia's website and no go. Does the same thing. All other drivers on the system are up to date. Tried going into the bios setup too... integrated devices-->primary video controller... gives option for "auto" or "AGP" when the card is plugged in. With the card removed it gives "auto" or "onboard" options. Tried setting it to AGP and still nothing. Help?

Back