My spec is

6 gig Dual Core processor
Abit Nforce4 Mboard
2gig OCZ ddr 2-800
8800GTS 320MB
SATA 2 250gig HD
Running Vista 32

Here is my problem,

Up until 3 days ago my computer was running fine however thats now all changed. My problem is I did the usual weekly update of windows (Im not saying that my problem is because of this it could be coincidence) which I then rebooted my PC, unfortuanetly there was no signal from my monitor. The weird thing is I can here my PC still Boot up and the windows sounds come on so I know it is working.

I cannot even see the bios as there is no signal on the monitor. I have plugged my PC into a different monitor which still shows no signal. I have also changed graphics cards but still no Signal (all after the windows update). I am wondering whether it is the PSU as previously when I switched the PC off and on the motherboard just ticks and flashes. If I then turn the PC off for 10 mins it is fine.
I have also made sure that the 8800 GTS is seated correctly in the PCI-e slot.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
J

yer beings you cant do anything driver related

try cleaning dust out with compressed air etc...
and try changing your PSU

Good Luck

First, cold boot to SAFE MODE. That will allow you to see images in low resolutions if there is a driver problem or other software problem. <Cold start while pressing <F8> once per second as soon as you press the <On> button. It should boot in SAFE MODE within one minute or less.

If you get no image in Safe Mode, then you likely have a dead monitor. But then try the monitor on a friend's computer to be sure.

If you have a flat panel monitor, some brand, such as Envision, ViewSonic, and a large number of other "off brands" will frequently fail after 18 months or so... especially those with a one-year warranty.

It may be time to buy a new monitor, preferably a Sharp, Samsung, Philips, LG, Sony, HP, or other monitor with a three year to five year warranty.

If this is on a laptop, the same test, with the possibility that the Inverter has gone bad... much cheaper to fix.

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I have tried the monitor (flat panel 19" tft TARGA visionary) with my second PC and that works, I will try the cold boot.

Narrowed it down to either PSU or mboard as I have tested rest, will have two wait 2 days as PSU is on order.

Installed psu but still same problem, pc boots to vista (as I can hear the sounds) but I cannot get a signal to the monitor, totally blank even the boot screen. Could this be there is a fault with the PCI Express slot? as anyone had this problem where it will boot to windows but not have a signal. My only other option is to buy a new mboard.

No, you have a hardware error someplace, or a driver problem... either a video graphics card, inverter, power supply, or driver... Always a chance that it is a slot, but I seriously doubt it. Windows will not do this, but the driver software installed with windows could.
To have a totally blank screen is the bigger mystery

The weird thing is even the boot screen is blank, but I know its booting cos after 30 secs I can hear the windows sound. I have checked the grafx card in another machine and that is working and I have also checked monitor and that is ok. Just seemed weird how after the usual vista update it went like this, but how can it be a driver issue if the boot screen wont show?.

Sounds more like a card issue, or hardware, than a driver problem.

Do you show any issues in the Device Manager that are represented by yellow or red flags?

Cold boot into SAFE MODE and see what you get on the screen in low resolution as it boots up. If it works that way, you have some good clues.

Wow Jay_7x7, I have the EXACTLY same problem. However, I've found something wierd, I unplugged the main electic of my PC( which the monitor & main pc electric are connected) and plugged it back in, surprise, wierd I have signal!
none the less it happens again I have no signal and have to repeat the actions. I sended my PC for repair, they said they scanned my PC and said all is just perfect.
Please, pm me or something if you fix it, I will do the same if I find it out aswell, thank you!

I am going to try a new mboard to see if the problem is the PCI-e slot, I am all out of ideas, I have checked all the compnents apart from the mboard. Will post in a few days to let you know

Update, I tried taking out PCI-e GTS8800 and putting in an old PCI Matrox 4mb graphics card and then I could get a signal. I then backed up all my files so that I could replace my mboard. It seems the problem is with the pci-E slot, however a strange thing happend when I took out the matrox card and put back the 8800gts, the PC got a signal and loaded to windows all be it for about 10 mins then I had no signal from the off again. As I said before this problem is due to the PCI-e slot on my Abit KN9-S mboard. Many thanks for eveyones help, the only thing I need to do now is reearch another decent SLI mboard AM2 preferably.

I am still betting on the PCI-E video graphics card, until you tell me it works fine for four hours or more in anther computer...
But thanks for the update.

So you don't see the BIOS @ all, its orange all the time from boot up,,

If soo, then make sure of connection ,, if tight,, then lcd is busted,,,, try a different connection if you have to ,, like vga or whatever!

Ive been running the 8800gts in my backup computer with no probs for about 4 days, I also tried a ATI 3870 PCI-e in the mboard and that also did not work.

I uess you know what you need to know, but I don't quite understand this because I am very dense and distracted on Sunday: Does this "running" and "no problems" mean it was working or that it was not? Or just that the AGP worked and the PCI-E did not?

"I've been running the 8800gts in my backup computer with no probs for about 4 days..."

Check your power supply I had a similar problem and all i did was change out my powersupply which is fairly cheap and very simple btw what size is your power supply u need a big one to run an 8800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back