No sound from my PC

I am using windows xp. My pc sound was ok but now no sound if i go 'volume control' it shows no audio mixer devices installed. In 'device manager' under 'sounds, video & sound controllers' in 'Realtek high definition audio' shows yellow mark. I already uninstalled and re installed the device but no sound yet. Also i installed motherboard cd for Realtek HD audio again then it shows installed but not working properly (code10) , yellow mark remains. Pls help me.

This is just a hunch because you have a code 10. Let's give it a shot... Do the following

Open Device Manager. Rt click your device Realtek High Def Audio->Properties->Details

Then use the pull down menu to first select Class Upper Filters. Does anything display or is it blank? Then also select and tell me about Class Lower Filters. Does anything display?

(note: We only care about the Class filters. Ignore any entries for Device Upper/Lower filters)

/* edit */
p.s. So if anything is displayed for Class Upper or Lower filters, tell me what it shows

Darn. I was hoping it might be a filter problem. But i guess not. Those code 10 errors can be tough :darth:

Here's a couple more guesses at things to try
> See if you can do a System Restore to an earlier date then the problem started

> Look through Add/Remove programs for Realtek audio. If found, uninstall it from using add/remove programs. The you can try the Realtek installation again

Oh. One more thing i can think of as I just noticed you said you are running XP.

You have Hi Def (HD) Audio which also requires an HD Audio Controller. Things connect like this:
Windows <===> HD Audio Controller <===> HD Audio Devices​

The audio controller requires its own driver that comes in XP SP3
> Are you running XP SP3???
> In DevMgr under System Devices do you see Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD? (this is XP's driver for HD audio controller)
> Do you see any other devices in Device Manager with yellow icons?

/* edit */
fyi... I'm thinking: if the audio controller's not working maybe that's another reason for your Realtek audio code 10 driver error (device won't start)

Sorry for the double post but to make sure you saw this as well:

If you do see MS UAA Bus Driver for HD under your System Devices, right click it then select Uninstall. Then reboot. Windows will reinstall it. Can sometimes help the audio controller detect and re-start the audio devices

Go into your BIOS, and look for the onboard sound controller. Disable it, and boot onto windows. Then reset your PC again and go into BIOS and turn the sound controller again. It should work. My friend had a similar problem to yours. We did the like I said and the sound worked fine.

Back