Nokia X Review: Nokia's first Android is a poorly executed novel idea

Scorpus

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/836-nokia-x/]https://www.techspot.com/review/836-nokia-x/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Great review, I enjoyed the read. Really loved how honest you were, but I expected that of course ;)

It is incredible how many rave reviews this phone got online. That said all respectable sites canned it.

Sounds like Nokia are still latching onto the android hate-train, Missing out on Google integration is a massive flaw specially with most people using the google account for keeping there contacts 'Safe'.

If I was Nokia and I made this phone I would throw it all in the bin there would be NO way I would release a phone with that kind of performance and no google integration its like they gave the project to a few interns to do because its not worth Nokia's time. I have no idea how Nokia can expect a entry level phone to cost that much when it performs like a $45 phone.

Looks like Nokia really have lost there touch!

For those super thick frames one just needs the right glasses...

eyeglasses-super-ciccio-1.jpg

Quick glance at the headline made me say these words:
tim schiesser, how dare you attack my favorite phone manufacturer!

then I read this:
...I was dumped into Nokia’s custom homescreen layout, again fighting my way through lag to check out some apps and find the settings screen. It was time to get my contacts sorted through the usual method of syncing my Google account, but oh wait, there’s no Google integration! Nokia overlooked this critical Android feature!
thank you sir tim! :)

glad that the old phrase "stop, look, and listen" actually works for a number of situations other than crossing the street.

Last edited:
Im a windows-phone user and I have been using it since the sad windows-mobile 6 era... I used my LG E900 WP7 device for a year and have its mainboard replaced free under warranty when the screen says the internal storage is corrupted.

Phone lives for another 2 years, until I decided it's time for me to try WP8. I picked up a Nokia 520 and was happy with it. Until the softkey stopped working just after the 1yr warranty period ended.

Then, because I also own an entry-level Hisense Android phone, I looked at Nokia X including some of its android competitors. The nokia UI is slow, unintuitive and terrible, they should just admit they are selling an android phone, not a windows phone.

If Nokia 520, praised for its good performance for an entry level device, fails me, I couldn't possibly recommend its half-hearted brother Nokia X.

In the end, I went for WP again (Lumia 625) because of the Nokia Here Drive and the fact that it doesn't froze so often.

I don't know if Nokia purposely make Nokia X so slow so people would get a windows phone or what, but I know they are not doing their company a good favor.

When I read weeks or months ago about the rumours of an android phone being made by nokia I got all excited, then I read it and it was going to be a forked android system my dreams got crushed.

Now this...

Remember back in the day where you couldn't wish for a better phone than Nokia? Pepperridge Farm remembers...

EDIT PS: Great review as always ;)

A very nice read, thank you Tim!
Regarding the 20 score, does that mean there's something out there that scored less?? :D

I'm fairly confident it was conceived just to bleep with MS pre acquisition. No worries, once the announced devices are all out there, support will dry up pretty quick on Microsoft's end.

A very nice read, thank you Tim!
Regarding the 20 score, does that mean there's something out there that scored less?? :D
I'm pretty sure this is the lowest we've ever scored a product. Now granted, historically we haven't rated products on every single review since it's harder to do so when we do roundups or when we are testing beta/non-retail products (usual on zero-day GPU reviews). Also, sometimes we haven't bothered to write about products that are this bad (or worse).

I am pretty sure Nokia X was produced with Microsoft's consent. Otherwise Microsoft could easily pressure the board that it would lower the price due to depreciation of the brand name or what so ever. Secondly, no one really resisted for a Microsoft take over at Nokia. It was approved by more than the 90% of the shareholders.

Last but not least, anyone who wanted to keep their job after the take over wouldn't get involved in anything Microsoft wouldn't appreciate.

Im a windows-phone user and I have been using it since the sad windows-mobile 6 era... I used my LG E900 WP7 device for a year and have its mainboard replaced free under warranty when the screen says the internal storage is corrupted.

You got lucky they replaced under warranty. They wouldn't replace the backwindow (that they know gets broken by overheating) because my phone was older than 3 months. They completely replaced the phones of the people that had this issue before the 3 month mark, but never replaced or repaired my phone under warranty. LG had been my favorite brand as all the LG phones I had before are the phones that lasted the longest. I will not buy LG again as they don't respect their 1 year warranty.

Nokia announced the X2 today, hopefully it's better than the load of garbage I had to deal with in the review

That said it's pretty obvious Nokia knew the X was a turd: rarely do we see a product refresh after 4 months

Thank God Nokia has come up with the X2. The Nokia X was a complete piece of trash. But as it is Nokia, I appreciate the effort and the attempt though.
I do reviews and write about technology

You got lucky they replaced under warranty. They wouldn't replace the backwindow (that they know gets broken by overheating) because my phone was older than 3 months. They completely replaced the phones of the people that had this issue before the 3 month mark, but never replaced or repaired my phone under warranty. LG had been my favorite brand as all the LG phones I had before are the phones that lasted the longest. I will not buy LG again as they don't respect their 1 year warranty.

I feel sorry for your bad experience. I know that feeling too, as I was from a Sony Ericsson bandwagon, and then jumped to LG, then to Nokia and then now to whomever can give me the best-bang-for-buck phone. I guess the warranty terms are differ across countries and cities. My LG mainboard was replaced just two-days before the warranty period ended, even when the wet indicator on the back of the phone was colored red. they told me as long as the mainboard isn't damaged by water, they will honor the warranty, and they did.

it may be a very great experience on my side, but I've been through many LG phones and I find their latest offerings dull except for their top-of-the-line Nexus or G series phone. thanks to the technology now we can have the luxury of switching phone manufacturers without having to worry about the OS and our precious data.

Anyway, while I think the phone is rubbish, 20 is bit too low for the Nokia X. Perhaps because Nokia X was designed for those who are used to Symbian. Lets be frank all those symbian phones are laggy as hell, including the "last" great Nokia 808. so if I were to rate it I'd rate it 40 out of 100, and nokia 520 gets twice that number.

Back