Norton OR mcafee???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyhkuj

hi everybody. This is my survey to find out how many of you recommend norton internet security and how many of you would recommend mcafee. thanx. PLZ take part as i'm going to judge from these scores the internet security suite that i'm going to install.

first of all i'll say this: ANYTHING BUT NORTON i don't think mcaffee is too bad but you can get good protection from free programs unless you want advances things like site filtering and parental controls etc. it would mean having 3 or 4 programs instead of one thing with lots of bits to it but it could be worth it

it wouldn't have been a bad idea to put a poll in here really as it would be easier to look at the scores (or rather lack of scores from norton's standpoint ;))

i won't just end this as a moan though, you shouldn't get norton because it isn't a very good security program and it will take up all of your pc's resources for its greedy little self. i can't un-recommend it enough really :)

I go with Howard..

100% anything is better that Norton /McFee.

Personally I prefer Avast!.... trouble free from viruses fro more than a year now on all my own and customer systems. And it doesn't keep bugging you... user friendly and resides like having a tenant in the cottage that never bothers you for attention or cups of sugar LOL.

Hi from SA ;)

Sorry to hear that your mind things it's either/or! I don't recommend either and if you want anti-virus, go with AVG- free or paid!

I'm not big on Internet Suites either, preferring the separate programs instead. It's much easier to troubleshoot a problem with separate programs.

To throw in my 2 cents worth or 2 Euro's worth...I would say that
it depends on what your looking for in the way of Security as in
Firewall protection, Hacker, Spyware and phone support. I do run McAfee
and although I don't love the product because I think it takes over the OS.

I will say that I don't dare run with the Shareware or Freeware stuff only because I don't know if they keep those dat files or what ever they use up todate.

I can search the internet to find out what the latest and greatest virus and worm is making the headlines and then look at McAfee's site and find the appropriate Dat file... thats my only security blanket I guess.
Ron

I Agree With Rgrimard, Dats Files Are Always There, I Dont Have A Problem With Mcafee, When I Had Norton, I Didnt Feel Like It Was All That Great. Mtaylor5

howard_hopkinso said:
Personally, I wouldn`t recommend either of them. they are both resource hogs and really aren`t that good at killing infections.

See the list below for recommended security software.

AVG free or Avast antivirus programmes.

Zonealarm Kerio or Comodo free firewall programmes.

Spybot Search & Destroy.

Ad-Aware se personal.

Spyware Blaster.

AVG Antispyware.

Ccleaner.

Regards Howard :)

All of the above should work fine, I've been using AVG free for about three years with no problems and I would recommend it for anyone.
Good Luck:)

thnx to all of your suggestions but i really didn't have any problems before with my norton 2006 edition and it worked fine... why is dat??

Also, daveskater can you plz tell me how to set up a poll??

as far as i know you can't put a poll in a thread that's already been started (unless you're a moderator) so you would have to open up a new thread and put a poll on it

you may thing that your norton worked fine but if that is all you were using then there is no knowing what was really on your pc, also if you were to remove it and replace it with the programs that howard suggested then you would notice better performance from your pc because norton uses up so many resource such as ram and cpu time

I'm 100% with Howard too.

And to further what Daveskater says, I have seen many many logs from badly infected pc's and the 2 most common types are 1 - no protection at all and 2 - Norton supposedly protected pc's.

Rik's spot on, i too have seen a fair few logs of pc's with norton on them which have a pretty bad infection that's needed some proper good cleaning to get rid of

granted each case is different depending on the user and their habits but norton is just plain bad and i can't believe that pc shops can honestly sell it to so many people

i know people always say norton is extremely slow, but my parents used to have it on their computer and it worked just fine. ok: slow but fine. and i hadn't tried mcafee but i hadn't heard a good word about this software whatsoever. i participate in some other forums and i see topics like 'mcafee blocks internet' 'mcafee doesn't work/other programs don't work because of mcafee' etc etc all the time. so if i had to choose from these two suites i'd probably go for norton, but if i could choose from bigger selection, i wouldn't choose neither norton nor mcafee:rolleyes:

it's not norton that's slow, it's that norton makes the pc slow by using up loads of the pc's resources - it even makes your boot time longer, if i can find the link to the site i saw it on then i'll post it here

also, like everyone else has said, norton is totally useless at blocking infections or even fixing them

I used the Norton trial and it slowed my PC down. I uninstalled it and worked fine. I actually have ESET Nod32 and it runs in the background. Doesn't take up much space or memory. BitDefender is pretty good too, from the reviews I have read at least. If you are planning to buy, BitDefender is relatively cheap about 60bucks for 3 years. Personally, I don't like either Norton or McAfee...

Also, check out this site for ranks and comparison:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_08.php

Click on Comparative
Click on 15. On-demand comparative August 2007 Online results

i've found the link to the site that did a test to see "what really slows windows down", the sequel to, you guessed it, "what slows windows down"

the site is here, that's the last page with the charts on but there's a couple of pages before that about the pc they're using, what programs they're going to test etc etc

i won't spoil the surprise but norton doesn't fare very well ;)

on the original thread, I concur!
Just had to say that - but I mean I would not touch either of them with your bargepole. Current flavour of the week in this establishment is kaspersky.

it is quite interesting seeing what will actually significantly slow your pc down, i can't remember if it was in that test or the one before but they installed 1,000 fronts and that made a difference as well

i just tried going to googlefight.com and typed in "norton problem" and "mcaffee problem"

surprisingly, mcaffee came out on top!

This picture tells a different story. :D
googlefight.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back