Norton protected recycle bin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara Smith

I have Norton System Works. I I dont know any thing about the program Other than how to run scans.

My computer has been runing slow and after runing a check up I found out that I had 8 Temporary files that I cant find to delete. While searching for these files I notice there is a 'Protected Recycle Bin'. When I right click on 'Empty Norton Protected Recycle Bin' I get the following message:

"There are 1,169 protected files total on Drive C. You have 508 protected files on Drive C."

Underneath this are three boxes:

Purge Yours/ Purge All/ Cancel

What does all this mean? What am I purging, and is it safe to do so?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

What do they do?

I am knew to the site as i am sure that you know and I read what you said to and I still dont know what will happen if I hit one of the buttons?

i am just wanting to get rid of some temorary files and wanted to know if this will help and what it does. That is all. I dont know much about computers. and if you are refering to the help files on the nortons. yes, I have and they read like greek, to me.

You can use the purge all option and needn`t worry.

All the protected recycle bin does is store backups of files Norton thinks you might need later.

As stated in the link I gave you.
bones said:
norton bah the protected files in recycle bin is the the files norton deems worthy of protecting in case any files get deleted by accident as well as the files you send to recycle bin should you change your mind, as for the purge yours and purge all i used to select (all) with no ill effects.

It is generally recommended to disable the Norton protected recycle bin.

See HERE for instructions.

Regards Howard :)

oh and why would I turn my computer off and then on if i am just truing to delete some files that I cant find and wanted to know what that norton function does and of it would help?

So it is not storing anything that I will need? Not the 1,169 or the 508? is it Just a pile of thing that I have deleted from say, off the internet like cookies or something that I have typed in word?

Sara Smith said:
So it is not storing anything that I will need? Not the 1,169 or the 508? is it Just a pile of thing that I have deleted from say, off the internet like cookies or something that I have typed in word?

Exactly. Just empty it then disable it altogether.

Why would the people that put out Norton’s build in a function that serves no purpose? Surly it has sum function? I won’t get rid of thing that I need at all?

Sara Smith said:
Why would the people that put out Norton’s build in a function that serves no purpose? Surly it has sum function? I won’t get rid of thing that I need at all?

Basically Symantec/Norton is complete crap.

It`s one of the worst antivirus programmes out there.

It doesn`t work very well(it`s not that good at stopping viruses), can cause problems, including computer crashes and is a resource hog(it slows your computer down).

If I had a dollar for every Symantec/Norton problem I`ve seen on these forums, I`d be quite rich by now lol.

We even have a sticky thread dedicated to Symantec/Norton crapware.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic14034.html

The best advice I can give you, is to get rid of that crap software and get the free AVG, or Avast antivirus programme and either the free Zonealarm, or the free Kerio firewall. Just Google.

Your computer will thankyou for it and will run faster into the bargain.

I use systemworks basically only for their registry repair tool. It's really the only thing that norton makes for home users that I consider an invaluable tool.

Their corporate anti-virus is excellent, but few users have access to it other than US Federal employees (They can get it for free under a government license).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back