Not running optimal settings??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormega

I just purchased a Biostar M7NCD nForce2 400FSB with an Athlon XP +2600 512 PC2700 DDR...

The problem I'm having is, I'm not sure if everything is running at the best settings...I have ATA 133 IDE cables, but the harddrives seem to be slow, and when I tried to burn some CDs, it keeps giving me errors...leading me to believe that something is wrong in the FSB? or something....whats a good utility to check the status of my FSB and chipset, as well as CPU settings?

Another problem is that in the hardware devices section, it shows the harddrives, and the 2 CD roms I have as SCSI? Whats the deal with this? I'm sure none of these devices are scsi, and would this effect the performance of the PC?
Thanks in Advance for anyhelp.
Thanks,
Cory:eek:

The burning problem could be if you have the burner and the location you are trying to burn from on the same ide cable.

All devices such as HD and CD are considered as SCSII, even if they are IDE/ATAPI. This is normal and has no influence on any PC, so don't worry about that.

Make sure you have your HD(s) on one 80-pin cable with disk(s) set to cable-select. Follow the color-codes for connecting that cable.

Have the CD(s) on the other IDE-cable. Some like 80-pin cables, others don't, so experiment.

In Device Manager check that your drives (HD and CD) are using DMA.

Thanks foulsoul, but no the cd roms and harddrives are seperated...realblackstuff, thanks for the info on scsi, didn't see that before in my old rig (same HDs), never the less, I used to know how to check for DMA...rightclick on device in device manager, and go to properties, but in my version of XP, this is different, could you tell show me how to check for DMA usage in XP professional? I double checked every tab in the properties...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back