Not sure about heat....HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darby26

Hi

I have just replace my PSU and added a case fan to my PC after a lot of reboot prob's.

I replaced a 300w 15amp cheap brand with a 550w 20amp tri fan slightly dearer brand PSU. I also added a case fan to the back of my pc, as I didnt have any previously, which is blowing out.

Now...the problem

My CPU seems to be running hotter than before.

I am confused. I am no techie so plain english would be great.

As for the PSU...I bought what I could afford.

Do you have any suggestions?

Please see below for details of system and temps

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/17/2007, 11:26:04
Machine name: MINE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: GBT___
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory: 768MB RAM
Page File: 318MB used, 1175MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Temps

CPU 58c
SYS 44c
AUX 25c
HD0 41c
HD1 45c

When I play a very small game the CPU temp can rise to 80c. I also have the side off the case for greater airflow

Please help

Thanks
darby26

Buy some arctic silver 5, remove CPU heatsink, then clean the CPU and heatsink with rubbing alcohol.

I will do that but...should I purchase a new heatsink and fan to go with it?

And if so...what type should I get?

Thanks in advance

darby26

My best guess would be that the old PSU was holding back the CPU, keeping its operating freq down and masking some problem with the heatsink/fans.

I'd say replace the stock cooling and maybe stick another fan or two in your case, P4's are scorchers.

If 58C cpu temp idle??? if not dont worry, a friend's p4 idles at about 60 going up to over 80 under load, and while it dosent do much for the cpus life span, it hasnt caused him any problems over the last 5 months.
For heatsinks go for zalman - theyre expensive but theyre good (if its compatible with S775 go for a CNPS9700).
btw do everyones hdds run at ~40C??? According to speedfan mine run at 15-25C (quite how they stay below room temperature with air cooling has always puzzled me lol)

My HDD runs at 25~35

Yea foozy my P4 goes to 60 when i play bf2142 im going to change all fans in my case except for the psu

I would say get more fans, in your case, also try to move wires to get increased air flow, a good investment maybe to get a PCI exhaust

Zalman's are best never had them but the video reviews you get on google video is amazing

also go to http://3dgameman.com < all the latest reviews on coolers/fans

To purchase items try http://overclockers.co.uk or http://overclockers.com if you are american

1. all your case fans are useless if you leave the side panel off. if you want to run with the side panel removed then make sure you have a table fan blowing air into the case from the open side. otherwise keep the side panel on, so that air flows through the case (front/side to back/top).

2. 80°C is too hot for any CPU to run at (even a prescott should not run that hot under normal use). you should remove your heatsink and thoroughly clean the heatsink and CPU heatspreader with isopropyl alcohol, then apply a small amount of thermal compound (preferably silver based, such as arctic silver 5) per the manufacturer's application instructions.

3. even your new PSU is still very underpowered. a PSU with only 20AMPS on the +12V rail is barely enough for a modern system (and it's realistic power output is nowhere near 550w of usable power, it's more like a 250w PSU). total watts don't matter. the amperage on the +12V rail is what determines a modern PSU's usable power.

I would suggest you put that 'dearer brand" PSU back in box and return it. buy a new PSU from a reputable company. when money is very tight, fortron PSU's will give you the best bang for your buck. consider the FSP Group (Fortron Source) ATX350-PA, version 2.2 at only $29.99 with two (18AMP/16AMP) +12V rails, you won't find a more powerful PSU for that price.

cheers :wave:

Yea, i agrre with Kingcody, i removed my cpu fan & heat sink, gave both the fan and heat sink a vacuum out, which in turn helped my cpu, little things have a big effect

:wave:

that's a very good point computergeek, I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. if your heatsink is caked with dust then it will not be able to effectively cool the CPU. (I should have mentioned it between 1 and 2 ;))

you can buy a can of compressed air for about ~$5 and blow all the dust out of the heatsink fins, that alone may solve your overheating issue. if your heatsink is not very dusty however, then you will have to remove, clean, and re-mount the HS.

cheers :wave:

I would just like to say that I cleaned the fan and the heatsink and sucked out the whole pc and then I cleaned the CPU and applied Arctic silver and now the temp is 48c under load where before it was hitting 80cso this seems to have worked.

So...a big thankyou to all

darby26

Please note that if you have a Pentium 4 Prescott, those are completely normal CPU temps. My secondary computer runs standard at about 45C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back