Nothing after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluggo32

ok i tried reading some threads and got nothing in relation to my situation. oh, hi by the way, really cool forum!
so i had some nasty spyware, bought a generic office depot anti spyware cd and loaded into comp. rebooted upon instructions and after windows start up i got this message: "the appication failed to initialize properly (0xcoooooo5)" click ok, got this message twice. so i clicked ok, got my background screen and thats it. no icons, no start menu, tried to use task manager(ctl,alt,dlt) and it said it was disabled by administrator. tried my windows key and got nothing. no right click. just a mouse pointer, thats it. so i tried to log on as admin and got the same thing. safe mode was just a black screen. dont know what more to do,please help! oh, runninig and hp pavilion with xp.

bought a generic office depot anti spyware cd
Exactly what was the name of that AntiSpyware program?

safe mode was just a black screen
In Safe mode (again) Can you press Ctrl+Alt+Del to show the Task Manager?
If so, then click on File-->New Task(Run...)-->(and type in) explorer.exe -->ok
Do you now see your Desktop? (Note: the icons may still be not there)

If so, click on Start-->Run-->(and type in) Regedit-->ok
Registry is very big, and extremely critical in editing, so please only do the following:

Click on the + sign to expand-->HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click on the + sign to expand-->SOFTWARE
Click on the + sign to expand-->Microsoft
Click on the + sign to expand-->Windows NT
Click on the + sign to expand-->CurrentVersion
Click on the yellow folder-->Winlogon
On the right hand side, locate Shell, and double click on it
Change (by typing in) the "Value data" to Explorer.exe
Click on Ok
Close Regedit
Restart

Does Normal mode now run?

great link, thanks so much. got windows back up and running. now ii have a new situation, I can't pick any wirless signals, and have nothing when I connect to my smartphone0 which was how I was running my internet. don't really know where to go from here.

I'm not crash hot with wireless
There's just too many issues that can cause wireless not to work
I would suggest that you run any wireless setup CD (that may have come with your Internet)
Or give your ISP a call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back