Now you can tell Microsoft how to make gaming on Windows 10 better

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Do you enjoy playing PC games on Windows 10 but believe Microsoft could improve the experience? If so, then here’s some good news: the Redmond firm has set up a web page where users can suggest and vote on ways of making Windows gaming better.

Over on the Xbox Ideas site, a Gaming on Windows 10 page asks how the OS can enhance your gaming experience and what features you’d like added or changed to make playing your favorite PC titles more enjoyable.

"Team Xbox wants your input on how to make gaming on Windows even better!” Xbox Insider wrote in a tweet.

Right now, the project is in the Collection phase, in which people can submit their ideas. These are still being accepted and moderated, but the Xbox team has put forward some suggestions that you can vote for. These include Windows identifying unnecessary processes when a game starts, such as indexing, and automatically disabling them while the title is running.

A particularly interesting suggestion is for Microsoft to create a version of Windows that is optimized and tailored specifically for gaming. There’s also an option for letting users select which background processes to disable, launching games with a controller, and being able to stream from a PC to an Xbox.

The Voting phase comes next, though there’s no mention of when it will begin. If you’ve got an idea and want to add it to the list, or would like to vote on something that’s already been suggested, head on over to this page.

Permalink to story.

That list is stupid.

Windows should already have most of those "features" in it and we shouldn't have to vote for them. What good is game mode if not to turn off unneeded processes?

How about this ones:
1. rewrite from scratch the scheduler and get it in line with the performance numbers from Linux.
2. dump NTFS for a modern file system
3. rewrite the legacy code from the kernel that bottlenecks many important workloads (like when compiling an application). there is no reason why Linux and MacOS should have such a huge lead on the same hardware.

Those 3 alone will make windows 10 many times better.

All the have to do is copy steams big picture mode.

as a pc gamer who plays with a controller it irks me how windows can switch between programs in such jarring ways.

example: playing forza horizon 4 you'll be in-game but if windows wants you to login to xbox live it pops up a window that needs your kb&m, it may seem a small issue but small things like this can push people away, they could implement an onscreen kb or let you use the controller chatpad if you have one, the accessories app recognizes it.

if they just implemented a full screen mode that took advantage of a controller and focused on just games they'd have a good starting point imo

The absolute best thing Microsoft can do is not interrupt or interfere in any way with the game that I'm playing. Every game these days has it's own launcher with overlays and recording options built in, I don't need one more of those.

I bet whoever was in charge of deploying the Idea Drive took 10 shots of vodka before hitting the "Go" button

Stop restarting my machine while gaming to do your inane "updates".

Stop breaking drivers with your updates.

Make windows 10 like windows 7.

Stop trying to push the windows store. It's not going to happen, especially now that WP is dead.

Get rid of resource hogging garbage like cortana.

Not that M$ would ever listen, because all they care about is inconveniencing their customers for $$$, but still.

Could we have a similar mode for productivity then ? One that doesn't install all the gaming stuff or any other apps that are unwanted and not usefull for work ?

I would be much more interested in that.

Can we submit it from a Win7 machine? ;D

Seriously, if it weren't for their privacy invasion/telemetry crap, I would probably be running Win10. I also want to manage my own security updates, plus when it is ok to do a reboot. Do they not understand that not everybody remembers to save every 5 minutes or immediately when they leave the PC? Win10 is a leap backwards like WinME was.

1. Give us a "barebones" configuration options, which not only would be best for gaming, but also favorable for developers who want efficiency. It took me about 3 hours to disable setting after setting on the work workstation I was forced to use Win10. There still is a ton of junk running in the background, plus privacy and telemetry crap being forced to send to MS.
2. Stop making fluffy frill junk a mandatory and integral part of the OS, such as cortana. We don't want your junk that uses a ton of resources and constantly nags us. If you feel you need to force that junk down our throat, at least allow us to uninstall (not just disable) it.
3. Your "store" is crap. Scrap it and let us install stuff on our own.
4. I hear there are advertisements built into the OS? Screw you.

Last edited:
Back