Ntoskrnl.exe corrupt or missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

radicalgel

Hey guys,

Windows has been throwing an error saying that the file c:/windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. This happens every now and then during booting and it usually happens when the computer has been off for a while and is then turned on. I have tried the following but with no luck:

1) Replaced the ntoskrnl.exe file with a new copy from the win xp cd (NTOSKRNL.EX_)
2) Replaced the pci.sys file with a new copy from the win xp cd (PCI.SY_)
3) Ran a chkdsk with repairs
4) Replaced my old keyboard with a new one

None of these have worked so I hope someone here can please help me!

When I get this error I usually restart the PC and boot with "Last known good config" option and it works fine but this only helps till the next shutdown and restart. :((

From Windows IT Pro:
A. This is usually due to an error in the boot.ini file. The entry for NT is either missing or incorrect. Edit the boot.ini file and check the entry for NT is correct, for example for an IDE disk the entry should look something like

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows NT workstation"

Check that disk and partition are correct. If you have recently added a new disk or altered the partitions try changing the disk() and partition() values. If you are sure everything is OK, then the actual file may be corrupt so copy NTOSKRNL.EXE off of the installation CD onto the %systemroot%/system32 directory.

See if these steps help resolve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back