Number Representations in Computer Hardware, Explained

A very interesting article. Although for me it didn't really explain the need for the bias in the exponent field of floating point representations.

A very interesting article. Although for me it didn't really explain the need for the bias in the exponent field of floating point representations.

Excellent question. The short answer is that the bias allows you to get both positive and negative exponent values. So, if you want to get 2^-3, the bias allows you to encode it in a very straightforward way, by using the 8-bits for 124.

The longer answer is that it has to do with 2's complements, which isn't discussed here at all. It turns out that using a bias just makes life easier for the hardware, then having to interpret a 2's complement number and figure out if it is positive or negative.

This is the kind of article that got me on TS in the first place. Shame they turned out to only make up like 1 out of every 40 or 50, but I'm nevertheless grateful for this quality content.
F**k me if I or most of us will really, truly understand the math that cpu is doing. I think the majority comes here for tech news and review discussion.

Back