Nvidia GeForce card compatible question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question regarding my Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard. I am currently running two Geforce 8600GT cards and considering buying two nVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 1GB SLi PCI-E Video Cards. I would like to know if my Motherboard will handle these cards and if the difference in performance is worth the cost. Thank you for any information.

I have a question regarding my Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard. I am currently running two Geforce 8600GT cards and considering buying two nVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 1GB SLi PCI-E Video Cards. I would like to know if my Motherboard will handle these cards and if the difference in performance is worth the cost. Thank you for any information.

I'm not up-to-date on the 9-Series as I'm still on a single 8800GTS myself,..

Here's what a quick Google turned up. They're effectively the same, if I understand correctly, except with better heat management on the newer card. Also, what type of VRAM do your old 8600s have? What is the "cost" you're citing?

The performance gains are marginal if any.
A quick window shop shows you can pick up a pair of 9500gts for just over £100 and if you shop around a 9800GTX+ single for about the same, which will easily beat your SLI set up. Improve stability and you wont have to worry about poor performance in 3D aps and games that dont support SLI.

But thats just my opinion :eek:)

You wont see much of an improvement from an 8600 gt to a 9500 gt. The cost for the upgrade is to much for the improvement. Not much of the enthusiast when it comes to the SLI, so unless if you can mismatch cards you can get a single 9500 gt, run as primary, and run a 8600 gt as the secondary.

The performance gains are marginal if any.
A quick window shop shows you can pick up a pair of 9500gts for just over £100 and if you shop around a 9800GTX+ single for about the same, which will easily beat your SLI set up. Improve stability and you wont have to worry about poor performance in 3D aps and games that dont support SLI.

But thats just my opinion :eek:)

I'm far from a computer expert so I value all the input so far and since I don't know allot about the SLI system, I'm wondering if I could just go with one 9800GTX. I guess what I'm asking is will a computer with the SLI system run normally on one card only. Your reply leads me to believe I would gain from from this move, am I right in this assumption ? I'm looking for information because I'm having problems with the game Age of Conan, so when you mention stability with the 9800GTX it perks my interest. This game has recently gone to DirectX 10 also so I need a card that will run it. Thanks again for your input, I was told this was an excellent site to get help.

Yes, I would just do the 9800GTX+. SLI really is just for people that demand performance that the best cards of today can't do, so they double them up. Or its for the people that can only afford 1 card right now, but expect to be able to buy another soon.

I planned to buy another card when i built my system, but i needed it up and running.

I grabbed a 9600GSO for like $80 i couldnt beat it.

but i would def. go for the 9800

meh get an ati 4870 they are almost the same price as a 9800 gtx but kicks *** in performance and will last you a while longer to.

You can happily run a single card in an SLI mobo. As your thread was geared towards nvidia this was the option I looked at mostly. Ati are making great cards now and thanks to the 4800 series knocking nvidia off their perch, now is a great time to make the most of the current price wars.
Just remember the new cards are BIG and power hungry.
I was looking for a card around the budget of your twin sli setup and the 9800GTX+ fell nicely into it.
If you do go this route make sure it is GTX+ the '+' is very important. It uses the latest 45nm die has higher clock speeds, draws less power and runs cooler than its predessors.

If you do go this route make sure it is GTX+ the '+' is very important. It uses the latest 45nm die has higher clock speeds, draws less power and runs cooler than its predessors.

sorry the 9800gtx+ uses the 55nm die, the 9800gtx uses the 65nm die. but anyway the 9800gtx+ is way beter that two 9500gt's in sli

Thank you very much for all the info, just one more question, I looked at the specs of the 9800GTX+ and it says Express 2.0 my motherboard book says mine is PCIEX16-1. 9800 specs also says it's compliant with 1.0 but does that hurt my performance in anyway. Thanks guys

i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back