Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Review: The New $500 King

Really good product. Shame about the 8GB of memory, in MSFS at 4K it really hurts its performance.

Waiting to see what AMD releases at this price point before deciding which one to get.

Personally only interested in MSFS results as the other games I play could run on a potato.

Remember VRAM is both the most power hungry and most expensive part of the card; it's not the easiest to just increase it without driving up costs and power draw.

Agreed but for $50-$75 more dollars it would be worth it. Power draw is a consideration for some but not many gamers going for higher resolutions. I wonder if OEM's will be allowed to offer more vram?

Thanks for the - as usual - very good review.

The 3070 FE seems like a very good card that ticks all the boxes. Can't see any negatives - even power draw is great, especially considering its performance.

3000 series cards are a really solid product and I know they are about to re-release the cards with more memory as Super versions which will be even better!

When I got here, before I read anything, I scrolled directly to the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 4K performance.

This, is where the 3070 truly legitimizes itself against the 2080Ti.

Damn shame that neither the 3080 or 3090 can achieve 60FPS here.

I currently have a RTX 2080 and wow, the 3070 presents itself as the easier upgrade path on almost every cost and performance metric. With that, I expect these to be even more rare than the 3080 when they hit they become available.

5700 xt only needs to go down to $336 to match 3070's price to performance
Even then...tbh, if AMD released a slightly respun and updated Navi GPU to cover the sub $100 market that would be nice. Entry level cards like the 1030 and RX550 are imho severely lacking. That would be something like the 5500XT though.

Anything above that looks like it‘s being obsoleted by next gen.

Now we're talking. Looks like the 3070 is a lot more efficient than the 3080, and what I was expecting of the 3000 series before the disappointment that the 3080 was.

Boys, im waiting for a 200~300$ video cards article... most of the persons are interested about this range of price. Please do compare 3070 with 200~300$ video cards. I'm curious about cost per frame and performance per watt.

Looks good.

Other than the 4k doom results I think the other games where the TI is faster by 5-7% will probably be closed by driver updates.

AMD need to force a $50 MSRP drop of this and it'll be a bargain. If Big Navi can do that then competition has returned. Great looking card, will be interested in seeing what kind of sustained clocks it can manage when pushed.

Bodes well for the inevitable 3060 too. It'll surely be at least as fast as the 2070 Super, and I would hope it won't be more than $350.

I currently have a RTX 2080 and wow, the 3070 presents itself as the easier upgrade path on almost every cost and performance metric. With that, I expect these to be even more rare than the 3080 when they hit they become available.
Unless you really like upgrading every year or two or you are really bottlenecked at 4K, just wait for the next gen cards or the Ti?super variants. Maybe they'll come with more VRAM. The 2080 is still a high end card.

Solid option for 1080p/1440p, all other cards priced lower make no sense for gaming for a new buyer (supposing that these will actually be in stock). The perfomance per $ chart speaks for itself

Even for a gamer with severe budget constraints, it makes more sense to cut costs on the cpu (going for an i3-10100f or ryzen 3600) than to go for a gpu with lower cost.

Hopes it eases the pressure on the rtx 3080, so I can actually buy one close to MSRP.

I took this from another site who uses I7-10700k. So we can compare for 2k: AC:Odyssey ultra- i7:78fps, your 3950x: 66fps, F1 2020 ultra- i7:170fps, 3950x:151, Horizon Zero Dawn ultimate- i7:105fps, 3950x:96fps, Wolfenstein Youngblood mein leiben! setting- i7:236fps and again your 3950x:199fps. It`s true in 4k the differences shrink, but this is suppose to be a 2k card. I hope the I9 benches come next, just to be fair.

Boy it would really be a winner with a little more vram for 4K.

Not really. Higher video ram might just add 2fps in flight simulator in 4K ultra quality (which does not run well anyway at those setting). It might boost Doom performance by little when using nightmare textures at 4K but this game runs over 60fps anyway (most people with 4K display will have 60hz anyway). Also, 3070 did beats radeon VII and 1080 Ti in both min and avg fps. Which means that fast GPU with 8GB is still better than slower GPU with big vram even if the game can use over 8GB

flight simulator is bad example for anyone who say video ram matter because you will run out of GPU power before you run out of GPU video ram. Not even 3090 can run it 60fps on ultra quality. 2080 Ti can't even run constant 30fps without drops (cause min fps is 25fps). The question is why would anyone be worried about video ram usage in this game when you will not run the game on setting that exceed the video ram you have anyway. Nobody will run 4K ultra setting on 3070 regardless how big the video ram is. You will only gain 2fps with 16GB card in those 4K ultra setting and will still drop below 30fps. So 8GB will never be any issue for this game because you will lower setting anyway even on 16GB card

Last edited:
Well if I were looking for 2080 Ti like performance, I know which card I'd be going with. Really solid showing by NVIDIA at this price point.

Not really. Higher video ram might just add 2fps in flight simulator in 4K very high (which does not run well anyway at those setting). It might boost Doom performance by little when using nightmare textures at 4K but this game runs over 60fps anyway (most people with 4K display will have 60hz anyway). Also, 3070 did beats radeon VII and 1080 Ti in both min and avg fps. Which means that fast GPU with 8GB is still better than slower GPU with big vram even if the game can use over 8GB

Yes really, which is why we will see OEM's with more memory and higher boost clocks I imagine. You don't buy now for just today's games but for future games that push it harder. Gaming at 4K everything helps and I'm not talking about slower gpu's.

Back