Nvidia is reportedly increasing GTX 1650 supply to the desktop market

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Is not being able to buy a new graphics card getting you down? Don’t worry: Nvidia is increasing the supply of one of its products to the desktop market. Sadly, it’s not an Ampere product or even a mid-to-high-end RTX 2000-series. It’s the vanilla GTX 1650.

As reported by the Chiphell forum (via PC Gamer), consumers will start seeing more availability of the TU117-powered GTX 1650 cards from this month and into May.

You might be wondering why Nvidia boosted the supply of its weakest Turing GPU. It was more a matter of practicality than choice. The GPU was reportedly undersupplied to the desktop market and prioritized for budget gaming laptops after launch, given its popularity in the latter, and they remain a common sight in many cheaper notebooks.

With the GPUs still being manufactured in large numbers, Nvidia is said to be skewing production back toward desktops to alleviate the problems faced by gamers trying to buy graphics cards. The problem is, of course, that the GTX 1650 simply isn’t very good.

We gave the GTX 1650 an underwhelming score of 60 back in April 2019. The card has a TDP of 75 watts, meaning most models don’t require an external power connector. It features 896 cores, 4GB of GDDR5, and 128 GB/s memory bandwidth, which equates to 60 fps@1080p in some older games with the settings maxed (Resident Evil 2, Forza Horizon 4, Far Cry New Dawn), but it struggles with the likes of Metro Exodus and Cyberpunk 2077.

One positive about the GTX 1650 is that it’s not powerful enough to be an appealing prospect to miners, though it will still do the job better than a Game Boy.

While this won’t be much interest to those upgrading from a GTX 1650 Super or better, it'll be welcomed by anyone building a low-end PC from scratch or whose current card is borked. Sadly, it appears that the GTX 1650 will be more expensive than its original $150 MSRP. With Asus and others raising prices, the move isn't too surprising.

Back in February, we heard that Nvidia would be releasing stock of the RTX 2060 and GTX 1050. It doesn’t seem to have helped much, though.

Permalink to story.

There's a new 2060 6GB retailing on NewEgg for 800+, insane.

That said, I can sell my 2060 for nearly the cost of a 3080 when I finally get it. Or the cost of a 3070 if I can score one first.
/won't actually sell it near that high if I even choose to do so
//probably going in the spare machine for a guest gamer rig

It is sad that the GTX-1650SC I bought last year for $139 now sells for $300+. I was looking to upgrade, but not right now, obviously.

I have an Acer Nitro 5 with a 1650 (1024 cuda cores) and considering the laptop was only 600 I think it performs quite well. It's a fine card so long as the price is right.

If you’re stuck on an iGPU or a very old card this could be a good option. You may not be able to play the latest and greatest but you won’t have to go too far back in time to play. Looking at the benchmarks this thing should give you 60 fps in any game over 4 years old at 1080p.

That’s the thing about this GPU shortage, PC has an enormous back catalogue of games that go back decades. I remember a few years back when I was stuck with a pair of Radeon R9 280X and a 4K monitor due to the mining shortage of 2017, I was still able to play games at 4K provided they were either just not very graphically intensive or old. I played games like minecraft, Civ, AC3, undertale, GTA V online (at low low settings). There’s hours of gaming available on low end hardware and frankly the cost high end GPUs make modern gaming not worth it. You could almost take up an extreme sport for less!

What I wonder is when will the games companies start feeling the hit and what they are going to do about it. Surely games sales must be affected by all the people who would have bought a new card by now? Especially considering these companies make the vast majority of their money on brand new games.

Maybe the warehouse is full of TU117s.
Possibly but Nvidia hasn't ever stopped having them made. The TU117 is their best cheapest GPU and has shipped fairly consistently, especially with budget prebuilds and laptops. So it's unlikely there will be thousands of unsold trays of chips, just lying around waiting to be to snapped up.

Possibly but Nvidia hasn't ever stopped having them made. The TU117 is their best cheapest GPU and has shipped fairly consistently, especially with budget prebuilds and laptops. So it's unlikely there will be thousands of unsold trays of chips, just lying around waiting to be to snapped up.

It would be nice if they make a dual GPU version like the 590 or 690 with these spare chips.

I've seen a lot of GTX1650's being included in pre-builts and barebones kits on AliExpress and their ilk (with comparatively small markup over models with just integrated graphics), so supply seems to be solid and pricing low.

Part of me wonders if AMD would have been better off starting the 6000 series with low end Navi 23's and flood the low-end first before going after the high end. Certainly would have helped market share and eased 7nm supply issues affecting their other product lines. They could produce ~3 Navi 23's for every Navi 21.

What happened to the so called re-release of the 2060 they said was suppose to happen?

All of this is a joke. At some point governments will have to step since the companies either can't get it right or aren't trying to. Supply problems to pricing, something has to change now not a year from now.

There's a new 2060 6GB retailing on NewEgg for 800+, insane.

That said, I can sell my 2060 for nearly the cost of a 3080 when I finally get it. Or the cost of a 3070 if I can score one first.
/won't actually sell it near that high if I even choose to do so
//probably going in the spare machine for a guest gamer rig

I actually sold my 2060 for $700 :) used.

This is useless because any gamers out there looking to upgrade to RX 6000 or RTX 3000 cards probably already have GTX 1650-equivalent card already or better.

What happened to the so called re-release of the 2060 they said was suppose to happen?

All of this is a joke. At some point governments will have to step since the companies either can't get it right or aren't trying to. Supply problems to pricing, something has to change now not a year from now.
Why would government get involved in your hobby of playing video games for children? And why would you ever trust them to do the right thing?

Obviously, Nvidia is pushing people to use its GeForce Now. Honestly it's not a bad variant in some cases because you don't need to invest money into new hi-end GPU at all and savings can be huge. However currently it's being not comfortable for all players.
Just keep in mind the trick with 1030 when its "renewed" release had DDR4 on board instead of GDDR5. I don't believe in $150 msrp for 1650 as it's possible to find 1050ti for $200 in some stores like Newegg. Will see.

What I wonder about is how the GPU shortage will affect PC gaming in the next few years. It seems likely developers will be focusing on developing games that can run on less powerful hardware. So less Cyberpunk 2077 type games, for example. After all, it does not make business sense for a developer to spend tons of money developing super high-end games when only a small percentage of PC's can run those games. Maybe this even works out better for gamers in the event that we see more games focused on gameplay over graphics.

This is useless because any gamers out there looking to upgrade to RX 6000 or RTX 3000 cards probably already have GTX 1650-equivalent card already or better.

Why would government get involved in your hobby of playing video games for children? And why would you ever trust them to do the right thing?
They already are. Biden is supposedly already working with companies to I guess get things either on track or make them better.

Why would I, did you not read the post or any news this past year. Things aren't getting any better and manufacturers are saying things will be getting worse before any signs of relief. And the relief may not even come til at least 2022.
If Taiwan gets in deep trouble and starts shutting down factories, well things will be getting a whole lot worse for electronics n retail in general. Hopefully that doesn't happen but it looks to be happening.

Back