Nvidia updates laptop flagship GPUs with GeForce RTX 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Along with announcements like its latest flagship and entry-level graphics cards, Nvidia also revealed updates to its top-of-the-line laptop GPUs at CES 2022. The company promises these are definitive laptop gaming upgrades, but they are pricey.

The GeForce 3080 Ti is the first 80 Ti-tier card to ever come to laptops, with 16GB of what Nvidia calls the fastest ever GDDR6 RAM in a notebook—even faster than the desktop Titan RTX. Entry-level laptops featuring the 3080 Ti will set you back $2500. The GeForce 3070 Ti is a little more affordable but still starts at a hefty $1500. It is supposed to out-perform the RTX 2070 Super by 70 percent, and Nvidia touts its performance at 1440p.

Nvidia announced 160 new 2022 laptops featuring RTX 30 series GPUs, including models from HP, Razer, and Acer. Some of them have added DDR5 RAM. The new 30-series laptops start at $800 with screens ranging up to 1440p, some with G-sync. All RTX 30s, including 3080 Ti and 3070 Ti laptops, launch on February 1. Nvidia also announced the fourth generation of its Max Q technologies for increasing efficiency and laptop battery life, including CPU optimizer, rapid core scaling, and battery boost 2.0.

TechSpot’s reviews of recent higher-tier Nvidia laptops like the 3080 and 3070 suggest buying them only if you will be out-and-about with them, rating them as good laptop GPUs but inferior to their desktop counterparts.

Permalink to story.

I considered upgrading to a 3000 series Alienware laptop to replace my R4 1060, but I ended up getting an A15 Tuf 3050Ti. I can wait till the 4000 series.

That 3080Ti looks real good tho.

No matter how powerful the laptop graphics are, I just can't stand the heat they produce, the uncomfortable warm feeling over the keyboard and the obnoxious noise these "gaming" laptops make.

I prefer powered gaming on desktops and light gaming and older console/computer emulations using integrated-graphics only laptops.

No matter how powerful the laptop graphics are, I just can't stand the heat they produce, the uncomfortable warm feeling over the keyboard and the obnoxious noise these "gaming" laptops make.

I prefer powered gaming on desktops and light gaming and older console/computer emulations using integrated-graphics only laptops.
The entire point of a laptop is that it's portable. If you carried your desktop, keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers...etc on a trip it would suck a lot more than carrying a laptop. Laptops and desktops don't have the same purpose and there is no comparison to them.

I'm very interested in buying a light medium range laptop that can game and do some rendering on the side. Maybe one with an 12th gen Intel CPU or 6th gen AMD CPU with an RTX 3060 or 3070.

If the power savings that AMD has claimed are real then that might be the CPU I will try to go for (if availability is there and the price is decent)

I considered upgrading to a 3000 series Alienware laptop to replace my R4 1060, but I ended up getting an A15 Tuf 3050Ti. I can wait till the 4000 series.

That 3080Ti looks real good tho.

Unless I buy something for work (and I do that from time to time for the office where I work) I never go with laptops that have big GPUs. The heat and power draw is never good on them and they're also heavy (laptop+brick). Battery life and a good screen are a must for me.

The entire point of a laptop is that it's portable. If you carried your desktop, keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers...etc on a trip it would suck a lot more than carrying a laptop. Laptops and desktops don't have the same purpose and there is no comparison to them.
I have both desktops and laptops. And both serve their individual purposes better.

If you are going on a business trip or vacation trip, focus on the work or vacation. You don't need to obessively game everywhere.

And there are many more worthy games that don't require "gaming laptops" even if you are on a trip. For me, playing deep DOS Strategy and RPG and Adventure games in Dosbox or 86Box or some great Win9x games under Linux WINE and countless emulations like SNES, PlayStation N64, MAME etc are more than enough for keeping me company if I need to take my laptop with me on a trip. And these run fine on integrated graphics and don't heat up the laptop and spin the fans crazy like what current games for on "gaming laptops".

Again, gaming on a laptop playing 3D intensive games with high powered mobile graphics along with the accompanying heat and noise is just not worth it.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I made the jump to a gaming laptop last year because I wanted to bring my gaming with me when I spent time in our vacation/second home. Sometimes I am there for a couple of months at at time. Solution, 17" ASUS Strix. It's a great machine and not too bad to carry on the airplane. A couple of 28" monitors in each location and a portable wireless keyboard and I'm good.

Heat and noise are a factor but heat and noise can be an issue in desktops too. Of course you can go water cooled but you still have the heat. It's just down around your ankles, not on your desktop.

I have both desktops and laptops. And both serve their individual purposes better.

If you are going on a business trip or vacation trip, focus on the work or vacation. You don't need to obessively game everywhere.

And there are many more worthy games that don't require "gaming laptops" even if you are on a trip. For me, playing deep DOS Strategy and RPG and Adventure games in Dosbox or 86Box or some great Win9x games under Linux WINE and countless emulations like SNES, PlayStation N64, MAME etc are more than enough for keeping me company if I need to take my laptop with me on a trip. And these run fine on integrated graphics and don't heat up the laptop and spin the fans crazy like what current games for on "gaming laptops".

Again, gaming on a laptop playing 3D intensive games with high powered mobile graphics along with the accompanying heat and noise is just not worth it.

The thing is, your gaming choices allow you to game on a lesser performing (graphically) machine. That's great, for you, but other people prefer other types of games that do require that level of performance. And some of us live in 2 different places at different times of the year. Some people also travel around over extended periods, sometimes months, not just the 7 day vacation or work travel. So portability is important to us.

The fans are noisy, especially when gaming because they spin faster as the GPU heats up. As I wear headphones when gaming the fan noise doesn't bother me. I also use a detached, wireless, keyboard and mouse so the heat isn't an issue. I have it sitting on a cooling platform so that helps dissipate the heat and keep the fan noise down.

For now this is what I use. I do think that the future is going to be streaming games. You won't need a high-powered GPU and all the computing will be done remotely. Only the display and mouse/keyboard will be local. We're still a few years before that really becomes the norm, but it's coming.

Back