Nvidia's GeForce RTX 4060 goes on sale June 29 for $299

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Gamers won't have to wait until July to get their hands on Nvidia's next Ada Lovelace graphics card. Team Green on Wednesday said the GeForce RTX 4060 (non-Ti model) will be available to order from June 29 at 6 am Pacific, and will start at $299.

Nvidia introduced the RTX 4060 family last month, which includes the RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB, the RTX 4060 Ti 8 GB and the base model RTX 4060. The latter will feature 3,072 CUDA cores, a base clock of 1.83 GHz (boost clock up to 2.46 GHz), and 8 GB of GDDR6 memory with a 128-bit wide bus. It carries a TGP rating of 115W.

According to Nvidia's internal testing (which is all we have to go on right now), the RTX 4060 should offer a decent performance bump over the last-gen RTX 3060 and significant gains compared to the aging RTX 2060. With DLSS 3 frame gen, performance is even more impressive. The price is not astronomical, either, which should put it within reach of more gamers.

Of course, manufacturer-supplied benchmarks should be taken with a grain of salt as they no doubt represent the best case scenario for the product being tested. Real-world results across an array of titles could vary wildly, but we will have to wait until reviews hit the web to know for sure.

Our own Steven Walton recently took a look at the GeForce RTX 4060 Ti (8 GB model) and came away less than impressed. At $399 and with only 8 GB of memory, the card proved to be a poor value that was woefully inadequate in testing.

The third card in Nvidia's RTX 4060 family is the 16 GB variant of the RTX 4060 Ti. Back in May, Nvidia said it would start at $499 and launch sometime in July. An extra $100 seems like a lot for double the VRAM, but we shall see how it stacks up in testing come next month.

Permalink to story.

They want an extra $100 to go from 8GB to 16GB VRAM?

GPU VRAM Prices Drop to Just $25 for 8GB

It literally costs them $25 for the extra 8GB and they want to charge 4x as much for it. Thank you nVidia for showing us there are no limits to how low you will sink to gouge consumers.
Worse than that.
That $25 price for 8GB is the spot market. Contracted prices are going to be much lower. Nvidia is probably paying $25 for all 16GB on the board.

Lets see if HU will use "DOA" on the title and thumbnail of the video.

Paying more than 200$ for any 8Gb Vram card is a waste, in fact I would argue is a waste paying anything for 8Gb, as new games will soon struggle. Paying 500$ for 16Gb is stupid. Only sh`t card lately from both players. Happy stockpile!

Paying more than 200$ for any 8Gb Vram card is a waste, in fact I would argue is a waste paying anything for 8Gb, as new games will soon struggle. Paying 500$ for 16Gb is stupid. Only sh`t card lately from both players. Happy stockpile!

A card like the 4060 will struggle regardless of the amount of RAM, you aren't going to be using raytracing or using 8k textures on this thing, so having 8gb is probably ok....if the price aligns with its performance. To my mind, that price is closer to $200 than $300, but I'll wait for reviews.

"With DLSS 3 frame gen, performance is even more impressive."

it's one thing to render at 480p (exaggeration for effect) but to call 480p AND fake frames impressive performance? Come on now!

A card like the 4060 will struggle regardless of the amount of RAM, you aren't going to be using raytracing or using 8k textures on this thing, so having 8gb is probably ok....if the price aligns with its performance. To my mind, that price is closer to $200 than $300, but I'll wait for reviews.

It might have been okay at 1080p as an entry level GPU with 8GB VRAM but they also gimped the memory bandwidth. You wouldn't be able to play new AAA games and even the more intensive games of the past couple of years with it. In which case why even buy the thing?

It seems that, other than the 4090, Nvidia created the 4000 line-up with more concern for lower power consumption, gearing their cards for cryptocurrency mining and AI work, not consumers.
Maybe the silver lining is that Nvidia will make fewer 4000 cards if consumers don't buy them, and there will be less e-waste in the world?

At 1080p, the 128-bit memory bus is a non-issue. The miserable number of SMs and ROPs for the asking price, though, is another matter entirely.
It has texture loading issues in Control at 1080p, and I think may have also had issues in Hogwart's Legacy and presumably newer games. Either way, the consumer has to decide if they want to pay their asking price, and I just don't think there is a need to compromise when there are other better options at these price points.

It has texture loading issues in Control at 1080p, and I think may have also had issues in Hogwart's Legacy and presumably newer games
If you check out our RX 7600 and RTX 4060 Ti reviews, you'll see that the use of the 128-bit bus at 1080p doesn't impact those cards (as well as the 3060 Ti), in any of the games tested. Only The Last of Us shows problems but that's at 1440p and with Ultra quality settings. Digital Foundry's review of the 4060 Ti shows no problems in Control, although this is not to suggest that people don't experience texture issues with that game+card combination.

For the number of SMs and ROPs the 4060 has, a 128-bit bus is genuinely fine for 1080p; the addition of 24 MB of L2 cache will help out a lot, too. The problem for me is that it just looks like a very underwhelming card; the Radeon RX 7600 is by far a better proposition.

It might have been okay at 1080p as an entry level GPU with 8GB VRAM but they also gimped the memory bandwidth. You wouldn't be able to play new AAA games and even the more intensive games of the past couple of years with it. In which case why even buy the thing?
I looked up the specs on these a few weeks ago... and you're right, the memory bandwidth is gimped. But it's gimped in line with the amount of texture units etc. actually present on the boards; the 4050, 4060, 4070, 4080 specs all have the same or in a few cases slightly higher memory bandwidth per unit as the 4090.

There's definitely issues with these cards (an 8GB card at that price is ridiculous) but I don't see memory bandwidth as one of them.

Back