Nvidia's upcoming RTX 2080 will offer up to double the performance of the GTX 1080

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Although recent reports suggested Nvidia's upcoming RTX GPUs would struggle to push high framerates in ray-traced titles, new information suggests quite the opposite will be the case for games that don't utilize the technology. Nvidia's RTX 2080 will reportedly be able to double the performance of the GTX 1080 in some titles, while offering a sizable 1.5x FPS increase in most other games.

While the performance of Nvidia's recently-announced RTX 20-series GPUs in ray-traced games is still the topic of much debate, news surrounding their performance potential in standard rasterized titles has hit the web.

Many tech enthusiasts, including our own Steve Walton, expressed concern over the performance Nvidia's new video cards might offer. These fears primarily stemmed from the lack of real benchmarks or performance comparisons shown during the company's pre-Gamescom launch event.

However, thanks to information provided to PCGamesN (much of which is still under embargo from Nvidia), it now seems that Nvidia's RTX cards will offer significant FPS improvements over their predecessors in non-ray-traced titles.

The outlet says the RTX 2080 will offer around 1.5x the FPS you would get with last gen's GTX 1080 on average. Thanks to the device's Turing Tensor Core deep learning technology, it may even be able to push up to 2x the frame rates in some titles.

If this information is accurate, it will represent a massive leap forward in performance, hammering home the point that Nvidia's RTX cards genuinely contain new GPU architecture, and not merely old but refreshed tech.

Perhaps more importantly, it might justify the high price tags currently attached to the cards in the eyes of consumers. The Founder's Edition RTX 2080's $800 sticker price will probably be tough for anybody to swallow, but the $700 an RTX 2080 partner card will cost down the line might just be worth it to many.

As exciting as this news is, it should be noted that Nvidia has not officially confirmed it yet (outside of saying RTX GPUs will offer 60+ FPS at 4K), so it may be best to take it with a grain of salt - for now. Regardless, we look forward to learning more about the performance capabilities of Nvidia's new RTX GPUs in the coming weeks.

Permalink to story.

*up to 2x the performance when DLSS is used

In addition

"Nvidia has also published solid frame rate figures for the RTX 2080 running at 4K in HDR with the likes of Hitman, Battlefield 1, Destiny 2, and Far Cry 5 all running at over 60fps. For reference, the GTX 1080 runs at 42fps at 4K in Far Cry 5 SDR, but the RTX 2080 will hit 71fps with the HDR cherry sitting on top"

That's a 69% increase and that's Nvidia's own numbers, who are going to pick games and settings they know show the card in the best light. Just for reference, Nvidia touted more than 2X the performance for Pascal (not "up to" like this architecture): https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080/

I think Steve's breakdown is best. Making statements like "2x the performance" is just bound to be proven wrong and I would implore people to wait for benchmarks, especially with the conflicting reports were are getting.

In addition

"Nvidia has also published solid frame rate figures for the RTX 2080 running at 4K in HDR with the likes of Hitman, Battlefield 1, Destiny 2, and Far Cry 5 all running at over 60fps. For reference, the GTX 1080 runs at 42fps at 4K in Far Cry 5 SDR, but the RTX 2080 will hit 71fps with the HDR cherry sitting on top"

That's a 69% increase and that's Nvidia's own numbers, who are going to pick games and settings they know show the card in the best light. Just for reference, Nvidia touted more than 2X the performance for Pascal (not "up to" like this architecture): https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080/

I think Steve's breakdown is best. Making statements like "2x the performance" is just bound to be proven wrong and I would implore people to wait for benchmarks, especially with the conflicting reports were are getting.
Of course - naturally, I recommend waiting for Steve's benchmarks before making a final decision. As you say, companies have a lot of incentive to represent their product in the best possible light.

But personally, I'm at least interested to see something that looks like more than just a Pascal refresh. 50% is a lot better than, say, 20% in my eyes.

With that said, I'm not paying $1000 (!!!) for a GPU. If/when the prices come back down to earth, Nvidia will have my attention. ;)

Of course - naturally, I recommend waiting for Steve's benchmarks before making a final decision. As you say, companies have a lot of incentive to represent their product in the best possible light.

But personally, I'm at least interested to see something that looks like more than just a Pascal refresh. 50% is a lot better than, say, 20% in my eyes.

With that said, I'm not paying $1000 (!!!) for a GPU. If/when the prices come back down to earth, Nvidia will have my attention. ;)

Exactly what I was thinking.

In addition

It’s still a significant boost in performance, if it’s true then it should be more powerful than a 1080ti and will offer ray tracing tech aswell for around the same money that the 1080ti cost. It may or may not be quite the performance leap that we saw with pascal but the added tensor cores and ray tracing tech make it more significant to me than a straight performance upgrade. It seems that there are more reasons to upgrade from a 1080ti to a 2080/2080ti than there was to upgrade from a 980ti to a 1080. Not that I think anyone really needs to upgrade each generation.

But I do agree that we should wait for the benchmarks. But then, that’s always the case. I’m looking for a 4K capable card myself for my woefully underpowered 4K monitor, before, the 1080ti was my only option but now for the same money it’s looking like I’ve got a few options and they offer more than just better frame rates with this ray tracing stuff. I’m quite glad I’ve held out.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not paying for an upgrade when these cards offer maybe 20fps more than my 1080ti already offers. Not only that, the 2080ti costs nearly $600 more than what I paid for my 1080ti a year ago. For another $600 I could probably pick up a second 1080ti and have more performance than a 2080ti, without the ray tracing at least. Also, I'd have to have a game that fully utilized SLI as well. Either way, it's highway robbery to put money to any of these video cards. If you have bought a card within the last year or maybe two, I think it would be dumb to pay for one of these, at least out of the gate.

Nvidia's metrics of these performance claims look to be based on a very narrow set of factors, using either ray tracing or their new AA method to skew the figures heavily towards their new chips, naturally. I'll be waiting in anticipation for the benchmarks of common games.

As I see it those who really want a new card will pick these up. If you skipped Pascal and are still on an older generation you have likely waited long enough.

For those already the owner of a higher end GTX10 Pascal card they might be better served with the inevitable 7nm iterations of these chips in 2019. This will be a much shorter cycle and 7nm should offer a much bigger leap.

Yeah I'm not paying for an upgrade when these cards offer maybe 20fps more than my 1080ti already offers. Not only that, the 2080ti costs nearly $600 more than what I paid for my 1080ti a year ago. For another $600 I could probably pick up a second 1080ti and have more performance than a 2080ti, without the ray tracing at least. Also, I'd have to have a game that fully utilized SLI as well. Either way, it's highway robbery to put money to any of these video cards. If you have bought a card within the last year or maybe two, I think it would be dumb to pay for one of these, at least out of the gate.
A fellow 1080 Ti user! I agree with that last bit - unless the performance gain was through the roof (literally double in all circumstances), I can't see myself upgrading too soon.

A fellow 1080 Ti user! I agree with that last bit - unless the performance gain was through the roof (literally double in all circumstances), I can't see myself upgrading too soon.

Well it seems they're claiming the 2080 is roughly double the power of a 1080, but as it stands, none of these cards offer anything that's "necessary" for me to upgrade from the 1080ti. I don't see myself upgrading until probably another year or two down the line, unless something drastic happens with these prices to sway my decision.

Hmmm, 1.5-2x the performance.
On cherry-picked titles.
Using only *one* of the 3 cards announced.
Using unknown, probably cherry-picked settings.

So, your mileage may vary. OK I'm done with being excessively negative, these numbers are promising but actual performance improvements when we're playing our games with our settings will likely be lower.

Steve's benchmarks or it didn't happen.

It is an insult that there is still so much FUD surrounding these cards when they've jacked up prices so high compared to Pascal.

As usual, wait for the price to cool down and buy later. No matter all the backlash, it's one piece of hot hardware, this RTX series is.

We all know eventually people will buy it. It's 2080 Ti or nothing. (At least for this round.)

Pay $1,200 USD or $1600 CAD + 13% tax = $1,808 CAD for the 2080 ti which should give about double the performance of the 1080.

Waste your money.

More than likely the existing 1080 will come down in price to about $500 USD. You can probably buy it for $500 CAD second hand off Kijiji or Ebay. You'll get a solid 60 fps at 1080p with HDR more than likely for most games (unless NVIDIA purposely gimps the 1080 to underperform with HDR just so you buy the new cards). What's so bad about 1080p 60 fps with HDR? Can you tell the difference between 60 and 90 fps?

Regardless, it's great that new cards are coming out. It pushes the standards of the industry forward. The PC's, laptops, and consoles coming out will all be more powerful. But of course it's useless unless game developers utilize that power.

Exciting times.

Pay $1,200 USD or $1600 CAD + 13% tax = $1,808 CAD for the 2080 ti which should give about double the performance of the 1080.

Waste your money.

More than likely the existing 1080 will come down in price to about $500 USD. You can probably buy it for $500 CAD second hand off Kijiji or Ebay. You'll get a solid 60 fps at 1080p with HDR more than likely for most games (unless NVIDIA purposely gimps the 1080 to underperform with HDR just so you buy the new cards). What's so bad about 1080p 60 fps with HDR? Can you tell the difference between 60 and 90 fps?

Regardless, it's great that new cards are coming out. It pushes the standards of the industry forward. The PC's, laptops, and consoles coming out will all be more powerful. But of course it's useless unless game developers utilize that power.

Exciting times.

The 1080 should definitely be able to do 1080p 60 FPS with HDR on. If it can't something is wrong.

I'm currently moving from a GTX 750 -> GTX 1060 6GB on my system, and I can't be happier at the announcement of the new cards. Prices have dropped about 20% on the used market as people are trying to get rid of them before the launch, which makes stretching my budget all the better.

Up to double the performance for up to double the price. Carry on , nothing to see here!

Lets see... GTX 1080 $600, RTX 2080 $700, $100 difference... I guess thats double the price, right?
First off, I said "up to" so my statement holds, very much like article's "around 1.5x the FPS...average" is "up to double". Second, as Tom's Hardware noticed yesterday, flash sales of 1080(Ti) started. Yesterday a 1080Ti was for a moment for Prime members for $527, now 1080 is for around $500, but may be be lower by the time 2080 hits the actual shelves. RTX2080, on the other hand might be harder to get as It's obvious by now that nVidia is manipulating the pricing, since It's de facto a monopolist. Squize supply so little so partners sellout previous inventory with little loss - it's not that unrealistic scenario.
Still, 1.5 is up to double, even if its Your $100.

Lately NVIDIA buying a lot of articles around the web with same bs, no proof, no cards, just promises and fake benchmarks. Nvidia CEO lying on the stage about 2080ti for 999$ an the next minute their site selling for 1599$, again lies on the the stage about 10x performance and demoing 1080p video that can barely keep 20fps

Last edited:
Back