OCZ RevoDrive X2 240GB PCI-Express SSD Review

"240GB ($500) version, but there's also 100GB ($460), 160GB ($550)"

Care to explain why the 160GB cost more than the 240GB :p

Also, A three year warranty? If they can only guarantee an investment that may well be over $1000 will only last 3 years then no thanks.

If you check prices that information is current (don't ask me :)). The RevoDrive X2 240GB used to be $670 two months ago when it was launched, but right now you can grab one from Newegg or Amazon for $490.

Nice stuff for those who can afford it. HDD speeds that most of us can only dream of. At least they found a way to make use of those other PCIE slots although X4 slots are not that common on the motherboards that I've seen.

fpsgamerJR62 said:
Nice stuff for those who can afford it. HDD speeds that most of us can only dream of. At least they found a way to make use of those other PCIE slots although X4 slots are not that common on the motherboards that I've seen.

I thought you could drop PCIE x1 x4 into x16 slots anyway?

Given those results, I'd rather my PCI Express slot had another GPU in it, and a SATA SSD instead.

Leeky said:
Given those results, I'd rather my PCI Express slot had another GPU in it, and a SATA SSD instead.

I agree here, its boot up performance and game loading is a real letdown considering.

Wow...when I saw those first set of benchmarks I was ready to cut a check. Then the rest of the review showed it's true colors.

Considering the pricing and marginal performance increase (plus the use of a PCI-E slot), I don't know of too many people who would want one. Wonder what market they were shooting for.

As always, a good review. Thanks!

Great review. If you're into benchmarking this would be the drive to have. But for day to day use I'll stick with the more conventional SSD technology.

Looks like they did some lame $hit (optimizations) to blow up on benchmarks, but it doesn't translate to real world scenarios.

man, I bought a revodrive x2 80GB, but 2 days after using, It lost one disk.
Now it is 37GB and nothing more.
when I plug it on mainboard, PC boot times are 10 minutes.
So I feel tired with my revodrive, a lot of money are gone!

Looks like they did some lame $hit (optimizations) to blow up on benchmarks, but it doesn't translate to real world scenarios.

By some lame $hit (optimizations) do you mean RAID0?

man, I bought a revodrive x2 80GB, but 2 days after using, It lost one disk.
Now it is 37GB and nothing more.
when I plug it on mainboard, PC boot times are 10 minutes.
So I feel tired with my revodrive, a lot of money are gone!

If you lose one disk it wont work at all, at least this is what I believe based on my experience with RAID0.

Considering the pricing and marginal performance increase (plus the use of a PCI-E slot), I don't know of too many people who would want one. Wonder what market they were shooting for.

I actually thought using a PCIe slot was the way to go. I much prefer this and its something I love about these drives. Most of the motherboards I use in my systems have at least 4 PCIe x16 slots and really using more than 3 of them for graphics cards is a waste in my opinion, in fact more than two can really be viewed as overkill. Furthermore I cannot imagine someone would dump this kind of money on SSD technology and not have a premium motherboard with loads of PCIe slots.

That's my 2c worth anyway, thank you for the feedback though it is much appreciated!

The price posted is for the 1. Version they did with only 2 sandforce controllers.

The x2 version does have 4 controllers and costs around $700

When you lost a disk from your revodrive send it in!!
When you dont know how, check the OCZ forum they are pretty active and will help with nearly anything.

Thank you for your feedback, we have corrected the pricing in the review and noted our mistake.

I don't think they did anything to make this look better on benchmarks.... I believe given the price and the size that this is really optimized to be used as an enterprise class product, such as in a database server that has a large amount of memory set aside as cache. This would allow file reads and writes to not be many small files but larger ones that SSD's seem to really like.

Those of you who were ready to "cut a check" until you "saw its real numbers" probably didn't see all if its true real numbers. There is a lot to take into account in how this was tested.

Were all the tests run when this drive was set to boot windows??? Or were some of the tests run with Windows booting off of a different drive and your benchmarks run on it when it wasn't the primary boot drive?? I didn't see you explain that for the tests that you specifically made this the boot drive, loaded Windows and ran all the tests off the drive while it was also serving as Windows boot partition which would have added the overhead of page file swapping and other overhead which could have colored some of the results.

Plus saying no because a few benchmarks were off by a fairly small margin when you get down to it is insane, given that if you were to go out and buy 4 SSD's, you better have a great SATA Raid Controller open and ready to go, and then you have to remember that unless all four are the new Sata6, you would never see these numbers period....

So there are many advantages to what they did with putting this all together on a PCI-E 4x bus... all you actually need to run this is ANY PCI-E slot from a 1x to a 16x and yes I do know what I'm talking about... The 1x would have to be an open ended one as they should be (some board makers don't use the open ended PCI-E slots) but you can run a 4x in a 1x, and you can run a 1x in a 16x.

Believe me... you can do all of the above... All you lose is the extra lanes and corresponding bandwidth. Thats why there is the interface which is the first part before the break in the contacts, and then the second set of contacts which are the bridge to the lanes.

So please know what your talking about before you write it... if you think I'm wrong, see if your board has an open ended 1x slot and plug that video card in there and I bet you it will boot... and run just fine... just don't expect amazing performance....

But back to this product... I think it would be great in an enterprise type of machine used in a small business as a database test server or a Team Foundation server... I think that is where this driver would find a good home.

No enterprise should consider using the Revodrive X2 unless it's proven that the motherboard is absolutly compatible with it. Let me share my user experience with you.
I'm using since december a Revodrive x2 with an Asus Sabertooth (known as COMPATIBLT with revodrive), let me share with you that at first the card worked well and quite fast.
A week later without any warning or change to the computer, it started to provoked the Kernel-Power EventID 41 once every four or five cold boot.
Several days later, my c:\ drive started to lose data and Ms Office has to be reinstalled.
The next day I decided to restore the whole partition with Windows restore tool.
Yesterday, I applied the latest Bios 0802 hoping the problem would go away.
Nothing changes, I now have a chkdsk once for every two cold boots.
I got the impression of time travelling back in the 93-94 when using a 8000 $ Compaq 386/20e with Windows NT4 on !

13129708324315.jpg

Did someone mentioned slow bootup time?

-skulltre

Did someone mentioned slow bootup time?

-skulltre

As I understand those results you loaded Windows in almost exactly the same time as our review sample, in fact you might have been a second slower.

The Windows 7 boot time test is measured from the moment the OS loading screen appears to the time the Windows desktop is fully loaded. As you can see, all SSDs perform exceptionally well here and there is very little difference between them.
It took me 5 secs vs that 13.4 secs in the review. Total boot time from bios bootup to windows is 9 secs.

-skulltre

It took me 5 secs vs that 13.4 secs in the review. Total boot time from bios bootup to windows is 9 secs.

-skulltre

What makes you think that? Did you read the "Understanding Results" section of the user manual?

Time to logon – the number of seconds from the Windows start point (not
from computer start point) until the display Windows logon screen (or
welcome screen).

Logon to desktop - the number of seconds from the successful logon to a
Desktop Ready event.

Total time to desktop =Time to logon + Logon to desktop

Therefore its 9 + 5 = 14 seconds :)

Ohh and it never measures the time from the BIOS, only from the Windows load screen just as we do.

Have you not noticed the difference between the 5 seconds you thought it took and the 14 that it was really taking? Maybe try a stop watch.

Time to logon – the number of seconds from the Windows start point (not
from computer start point) until the display Windows logon screen (or
welcome screen).

Logon to desktop - the number of seconds from the successful logon to a
Desktop Ready event.

Total time to desktop =Time to logon + Logon to desktop

oh crap =.= didnt see that manual, only read the bootracer.pdf

my timings is probably the same as yours +/- with a stopwatch.

thanks. bummer me.

oh crap =.= didnt see that manual, only read the bootracer.pdf

my timings is probably the same as yours +/- with a stopwatch.

thanks. bummer me.

No problem, at least your drive is performing as expected ;)

Yes, im very happy with it, my previous vertex 2 was killed by the SandyBridge chipset twice, was going crazy, wondering wth was wrong with it till news by intel showed up. @!$#@#!

Took the plunge and grab this RevoX2 for the PCIE. Love it.

May i know if the benchmarks u did was done on the same day?

-skulltre

i mean the results for all the other ssd/drives for comparison^^

That samsung ssd is fast!!

Back