OCZ RevoDrive 350 PCIe SSD 480GB Review: Blazing Fast RAID0 Storage in a Single Package

Steve

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/808-ocz-revodrive-350-pcie/]https://www.techspot.com/review/808-ocz-revodrive-350-pcie/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Good review. SSD's over PCIe is the future. I would have liked to have seen a few more real world tests though.

Tom's did a test with RAID0 SSD's over SATA III and their tests showed very verry little real world advantages over a sinlge drive. I'm anxious to see if they include those results with this PCIe version when they review it, and what Steve thinks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-10.html

Last edited:
With intel claiming their new controller this year to yield 1GB/s transfer rates off a single drive, it would be silly to buy one of these right now. Better to wait a few months, have a more reliable drive, and save a bunch of money.

As awesome as the performance of this drive is, for the money I would rather spend it on some Samsung Evo or 840 Drives and run them in custom sata Raid over this. This drive is still amazingly fast, but as stated at the end it comes down to reliability. Having a drive that costs around $1.73 per gigabyte and only has a warranty of three years is a little steep in my book (5 years is what I would like to see). It states to me that they only guarantee this drive for 3 years which is a little scary since if one thing goes wrong on it the whole thing fails.

I enjoy my Samsung 84 Pro 512gb drive, if I ever decide to just stick with a big SSD setup I would just raid a couple of these together. I see PCI-E SSD's as being cool and something we can all appreciate in the future more, but the problem is the price to performance is abysmal and the reliability factor comes into play.

Funny to see those HDD's at the bottom, crawling along...

I am impressed with the Revodrive, I remember the first one was closer to $4000 at the time, good to see they have come down a lot in price.

Impressive drive. OCZ has really improved it over the last-gen drive. Good to see progress.

@Steve how were the temps of this drive versus other SSDs and HDDs?

Also, would PCIe 3 affect performance much over PCIe 2?

Holy ****! Murderous performance o_O

shut up and take my money!

Some of us aren't that easily impressed.

I would take 4 samsung 256GB pro drives in Raid 0 over this.

Ya you are still dealing with Raid 0 and will need backups but if one of the SSDs in my 4 dies it can be replaced with this thing the whole drive is toast with even one drive failure inside.

For that kind of money I think LaCie Little Big Disk is a far better investment. It can scale through daisy-chain, and it can be connected to both Mac and PC and it is fairly portable.

Can you run Windows on that? :S

It also costs $2000 for 1TB, $700 more than the RevoDrive so not sure its a better investment at all. You don't need to daisy chain with the RevoDrive, just stick more in if you are that way inclined. The whole point of the RevoDrive is to install your OS on it and all your applications so it can make everything extremely fast.

As far as I am aware the LaCie Little Big Disk is an insanely fast external storage device that requires Thunderbolt and probably a PC with an SSD as fast as the RevoDrive 350 to take advantage of it.

Impressive drive. OCZ has really improved it over the last-gen drive. Good to see progress.

@Steve how were the temps of this drive versus other SSDs and HDDs?

Also, would PCIe 3 affect performance much over PCIe 2?

Temps were "cool" and much the same as other SSDs, much cooler than a HDD. Since the RevoDrive 350 comes nowhere near maxing out a PCIe 2.0 x8 bus making it 3.0 compatible shouldn't have any impact on performance.

With intel claiming their new controller this year to yield 1GB/s transfer rates off a single drive, it would be silly to buy one of these right now. Better to wait a few months, have a more reliable drive, and save a bunch of money.

I get what you are saying but honestly that logic can be applied to almost any bit of PC hardware you buy. That said if you are that concerned with making a safe purchase the RevoDrive 350 probably isn't for you.

Last edited:
Would there be any value in having your swap file on another drive, an ssd on a sata connection, or would the pci-e through-put still smoke the sata through-put?

Back