Office 64-bit

philthyphil

My wifes p/c [64bit]had someone try to install Microsoft 32 bit on it..have tried to install 64 bit Office but will not allow due to the previous instalation....have tried taking all of Microsofts programs off but will still not allow ...saying there was still parts of 32 bit still on the p/c...how do I clear the offending parts off the p/c to allow the installation of 64 bit Office....Help!

Hopefully any moderator watching this thread will move it to Software forums.

Do you have 32 bit MS Office media for re-installation?

What is the reason for you wanting to install x64 Office in the first place?

What is the reason for you wanting to install x64 Office in the first place?
What would be the point of installing Windows 64-bit, if you choose to install 32-bit apps?

P.S.
The longer it takes people to migrate to 64-bit apps, then longer it will take for 64-bit to become a standard. Recommendation or not, I will support moving forward (with the exception of Win8 aka WinME3.0).

If you've 'properly' uninstalled 32 bit office, you should not have any issues in installing x64 office. On your argument of using it I think no need to worry about moving to x64 anyway it was just an inquiring question.

On your comment about Win8, I think desktops may go the way of dodo in (a little distant) future, but not yet, so developing and getting used to a new Post PC UI is not easy.

Hang on, does an Office x64 version exist anyway? :confused:

Yes as @LNCPap said,,, Choose 32 bit or 64 bit version of microsoft office,,,The 32-bit Office client is supported as a WOW64 installation as here

Seems that you need to know which Office is installed eg. 2007 or 2010 because it is not possible to run both simultaneously (the 32-bit version of Office 2010 is installed by default)

If you have installed Office 2010 including Microsoft Outlook 2010, Outlook sets a registry key named Bitness of type REG_SZ on the computer on which it is installed. The Bitness registry key indicates whether the Outlook 2010 installation is 32 bit or 64 bit.
Hope this is of use? If, you are interested in auditing a computer to determine the version of Office 2010 on your machine.
  • Registry path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook
  • Registry key: Bitness
  • Value: either x86 or x64

Hope this helps

I do know that it runs on the WOW64 node, I myself run Windows 7 64bit. I was talking about a native 64 bit office suite.

You can use Process Monitor from Sysinternals to see what the installation is looking at wrt registry keys to make it think the uninstallation was not completed successfully. It lists registry keys read/written etc.

Office x64 is pretty stable in our workplace. We've been using Office 2010 x64 on some machines and IT Support doesn't hear many issues from it. Just from anecdotal evidence, it sounds worth a punt and it is only going to get better the more people that use it.

Back