Old Guy New Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello There,

I just purchased a Gforce card for my Dell computer and the installing instructions asked me to disable the onboard integrated graphics.

So I went into Device manager and disabled it. Now I have no monitor at all.
I know, I know, not too bright I guess, I thought I was doing the right thing but obviously not.

Does anyone have an idea on what I need to do next in my big mistake?
Guess I should have paid the extra $35.00 to have it installed.

Old Fart

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Turn off your computer and unplug it from the mains.

Open your case, pop in your new graphics card, make sure you connect any separate power cables(read the instruction manual), if the card requires it. Now connect your monitor to it.

Reconnect to the mains and boot your computer. Once you`re back in Windows, insert the driver cd that came with the card and install the drivers.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howard,

And thank you for answering. I assume by unplugging from the mains, you mean the wall outlet right? In my previous note I left out the fact that I had already installed the Gforce 5500 card. My computer recognized the new hardware ok, but the instructions told me to disable the onboard graphics. That's when the monitor went black. So my next question is: Should I first take out the Gforce card and then do as you have suggested or do I leave it in and try your suggestion? Sorry, I am new at this.

Grunaz

Ok, as the card is already in your computer, there`s no need to disconnect from the mains. Make sure your computer is turned off and connect your monitor to the new card.

Then, turn on your computer. Windows should install a standard vga driver and boot up ok. Then, insert the cd that came with your new card and install the drivers.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Howard :)

You're a Pal Howard!

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the help! That did it! I do have the card installed and the software is loaded up and drivers in place, and my monitor is working fine.

The only thing is, hmmm, when I use the fxs transitions (for my video clips or my still shots) in my Pinnacle Studio 500 - PCI....

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...Studio+Family/Studio+500-PCI+version+10_5.htm

....it still has a some jerky movement to it. Is it my computer? I tried to buy the right stuff, but maybe I left something out. I have a Pentium 4 2.5 CPU and I have 768 MB of Ram. And the Gforce 5500 has 268 MB of Ram as well. I am puzzled?

Any ideas on that problem Howard?

Grunaz

I am by no means a video card expert, but my first thought is to check the system requirements of the Pinnacle Studio software, especially the video card requirements.

You might want to check for updated drivers for your card. You will find these on your cards manufacturers website.

I don`t mean to be unkind, but your video card isn`t that good, although it`s a damn site better than your onboard video would be.

I`m sure other members will be able to advise you better than I.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks again Howard,

I guess I should maybe invest in a better card. This one is a 3D Fuzion graphics card http://www.3dfuzion.com/ I just got the Pinnacle Studio today and the graphics card as well but I can still return them. I guess "you get what you pay for" right? To get anything that works you've got to pay the high prices. Oh well, I might just take my Dell computer in to the store I bought this stuff from and let them see the problem. That way they know exactly what I am up agianst right?

Grunaz

By the way, this is a wonderful thing to be able to do. Talk to you fellas about this on this site. First time that I have ever tried anything like this before. I am grateful for your help sir.

Grunaz

If the Geforce is a PCI one then that's the cause of ur problem. U can get a Geforce 6200 PCI from Newegg for $28 only. If it's AGP, then it might be other programs that might be eating up memory, because Pinnacle Studio should work fine on the FX5500 AGP.

Grunaz said:
I have a Pentium 4 2.5 CPU and I have 768 MB of Ram. And the Gforce 5500 has 268 MB of Ram as well.
For your convenience korrupt :D

Hmm, its strange, as that pinnacle card should be doing most of the processing power before sending it to the cpu to do the rest.. its just a shame that they dont list the minimum requirements to run the Studio software (is that what you're using) so we can be 100% certain of its needs, unless the only requirement is the PCI capture card be installed. Unless i've been looking in the wrong place again..

Do you by any chance know what motherboard you are using? and how the RAM is run, eg: 3x 256mb DDR PC3200, or 512mb DDR PC3200 + 256mb DDR PC3200

At what point is it starting to jerks? is it only when you apply FX to it or in recording/playback etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back