One in five franchise-operated Wendy's locations hit with malware that stole payment card data

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Fast food chain Wendy’s on Thursday revealed that 1,025 of its 5,144 franchise locations in the US were targeted by what the company describes as a sophisticated, criminal cyberattack that resulted in customers’ payment card information being compromised.

If you recall, Wendy’s first launched an investigation into the matter in January after learning about fraudulent charges on some customers’ credit and debit cards. At the time, the burger chain said the attack impacted less than 300 of its franchise locations.

Last month, Wendy’s said it learned of and disabled additional malware, a discovery that would significantly increase the number of affected locations.

In a statement published earlier today, Wendy’s said it believes the cyberattack resulted from a service provider’s remote access credentials being compromised, allowing access – and the ability to deploy malware – to some franchisees’ POS systems. Once discovered, the company identified a method of disabling it and has done so in all locations.

The malware targeted customers’ credit and debit card numbers, cardholder names, expiration dates, cardholder verification values and service codes.

Wendy’s hasn’t yet revealed how many customers might have been impacted by the security breach. Customers are urged to review a list of affected locations on its website to help determine if their information may have been compromised. Wendy’s is also offering a complementary year of fraud consultation and identity restoration service to affected customers.

Image courtesy Reuters

Permalink to story.

Once at a mall I went to a Wendy's and ordered a Baconator.
I was so excited and hungry, but it didn't look right...pulled off the top bun, NO BACON. NOTHING, NOT EVEN A MORSEL OF BACON.

Got a free lunch though.

At what point do we start blaming the businesses?

I know that it's "hackers" that steal these card numbers, but I also know that business owners are cheap bastards that literally will not pay for upgrades to their security infrastructure unless it's absolutely necessary.

I've installed and serviced pos systems for 10 years. POS security really isn't that hard. There are plenty of things that businesses can do to protect card data and many of them literally don't care. They don't care, and they won't care until the losses hit their pockets. Look at this breach for example... did Wendy's just completely ignore the fact that home depot, target, michaels... etc. etc. etc. were hacked? I mean seriously... there has been countless breaches at major corporations in the past 5 years. Millions of cards stolen.

I hate how the focus of articles about these breaches never looks at the companies themselves. Or the brand of pos software. Or the pos software company that installed the system. It's always about the mysterious hackers that infiltrated the system.

I know better... It's stupid people that run businesses that don't make good IT decisions. Business owners are stupid and run out of date systems because they're cheap. I have helped hundreds of business owners over the years and I can say without a shadow of a doubt... this is why your card number was stolen. The business owners made business decisions about your card security. They just don't care.

The never carry cash idea, is another way (ok, here goes a tin-foil hat thing), that whoever is actually running this game called life, to get people to NOT carry cash, to eventually work into a cashless globe. Euro-Union was the start, there was talk of a North American union, then a south American union and on and on until it's all under the umbrella some day of the U.N. Glad I won't be around when that happens.

Once at a mall I went to a Wendy's and ordered a Baconator.
I was so excited and hungry, but it didn't look right...pulled off the top bun, NO BACON. NOTHING, NOT EVEN A MORSEL OF BACON.

Got a free lunch though.

I love the cheddar mushroom melt. I know it don't look like the fancy pictures, but it's good.

All of the burger people in this thread need to stop eating at Wendy's and eat at In-N-Out. Like, I can't even.

All of the burger people in this thread need to stop eating at Wendy's and eat at In-N-Out. Like, I can't even.
Why not both? I'm fit and work out but I love to grab a burger or two on my cheat days and Wendys got some good ones. Their chili is also amazing. I like in-n-out too.

Why not both? I'm fit and work out but I love to grab a burger or two on my cheat days and Wendys got some good ones. Their chili is also amazing. I like in-n-out too.

Fit and see-food diet here...I just don't like Wendy's :D

The never carry cash idea, is another way (ok, here goes a tin-foil hat thing), that whoever is actually running this game called life, to get people to NOT carry cash, to eventually work into a cashless globe. Euro-Union was the start, there was talk of a North American union, then a south American union and on and on until it's all under the umbrella some day of the U.N. Glad I won't be around when that happens.
It doesn't matter.

Whether it's electronic data or cold hard cash, it's already all fiat currency and has been for a long time.

When governments get serious about ID theft this crap will cease. Death to these mega theives and make it within 10 minutes of being found guilty!

Kinda' funny, Three of the Fourteen Wendy's in my little burg were listed locally as the stores that got bent-over.
Not a locality issue, but -seems- to be a 'which service did you use' issue.. I'm guessing it was the more expensive of the choices offered to these Very Individual owners/managers/locations 'cuz I -know- that customer protection was TOTL.

Easier said than done considering In-N-Out has a very limited amount of locations. I live on the east coast and don't feel like flying for hours to Utah (closest one) just to get a burger from there.

Back