OnLive unveils $10 monthly plan, to become the Netflix of gaming?

Emil

Staff

OnLive, which calls itself the pioneer of on-demand instant-play video games, has announced a new $9.99 per month PlayPack flat-rate plan, which can be cancelled at any time. The subscription package is immediately available in beta to OnLive Game System owners and will be available to all OnLive members on January 15, 2011. OnLive will continue to offer its current free trials, three- and five-day rentals, and Full PlayPass options for à la carte new-release games in addition to the new PlayPack flat-rate plan.

OnLive has also started shipping the OnLive Game System, a $99 MicroConsole and controller bundle. The PlayPack game library will steadily expand; right now it comprises of Prince of Persia, NBA 2K10, Tomb Raider: Underworld, F.E.A.R. 2, Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X., Unreal Tournament 3, Vin Diesel Wheelman, LEGO Batman, Defense Grid Gold, Saw, and World of Goo. The PlayPack flat-rate plan will comprise of more than 40 high-quality games when officially launched. Like all OnLive titles, PlayPack games play instantly on TVs, via the OnLive Game System, or on a PC or Mac via a small browser download (some PlayPack games require a mouse and/or keyboard).

"OnLive's new PlayPack plan is another example of unique value and convenience unlocked through cloud gaming technology," Steve Perlman, founder and CEO of OnLive, said in a statement. "People love flat-rate plans for instant-play media, so it’s exciting to introduce this offering to the video game market for the first time. With PlayPass games priced from $3.99 to $49.99, along with the new $9.99/mo PlayPack plan, OnLive’s growing library of games will suit any budget and any type of gamer, from casual to hardcore."

OnLive has a chance to become the Netflix of gaming given that it streams its content directly to the user for a monthly fee. The only issue is the purchase of the actual console: Netflix doesn't have a fee for getting started, which has definitely helped it take off.

Permalink to story.

The only issue is the purchase of the actual console: Netflix doesn't have a fee for getting started, which has definitely helped it take off.

^This, pretty much.

Hopefully they will realize this and do something about it.

I'm behind this all the way and have said so since day one.
No downloading. (except ~15mb client)
No installing.
No gaming rig needed.
No discs.
No waiting.
No Bullshit.
First to rent Full Version PC games.
First to demo Full version games.
First all you can play buffet.
I could go on....
Not to say it doesn't have its hurdles, because you will need a 3mb connection and min spec pc/mac/ Onlive console.
I guess you people with 56k and win98 boxes are sol.
:X

This is the 3rd article to reference this as the "netflix of gaming". The "netflix of gaming" is Gamefly and has been around for over 5 or 6 years. The service is not as swift as netflix, but since you hold on to games a lot longer than movies it's ok. This service will probably take off as it has PC games in its catalog and people hate upgrading their rigs all the time (except people like me who LOVE it). Personally I love gamefly and plan on sticking with it and skipping Onlive.

Sounds like a great service but im madly in love with my comp and I get a deep satisfaction in buying it new parts to make it as fast as possible. Half the fun of games for me is building and tweaking a rig that can beast any game.

Ok... just an example...

I bought a lot of pc games in steam for $50 (Taking advantage of the steam black friday discounts), and buying (In case you need an update) a $120 video card (Radeon 5750) will allow me to play them all at high video quality with really cool fps.

Now considering that PC are a generation above consoles...

What are they talking about? My procesor is 3 to maybe 4 year old and I play with my 3 and a half year old Radeon HD2600XT 256mb, maybe not at full quality but to an ok extent.

For $100 that the console costs I upgrade my video card, and for those $4 to $50 ($48 or $600 a year) I can get so many games on discount seasons (And if you pay the monthly $50 for the full experience you can even get a monster computer). Not worrying for my connection to internet to play them or anything.

This does not convince me, at all.

Oh I forgot, and you wouldnt have to worry about upgrading that computer for 3-4 years at all.

I dont worry about it, have considered the idea of upgrading the video card since prices are cheap, its dumb to buy a $400 video card (Not considering the PSU you need to run it) when no game takes real advantage of it. Maybe real hardcore gamers feel different, but I doubt they would be playing on their TVs...

"Oh I forgot, and you wouldnt have to worry about upgrading that computer for 3-4 years at all.

I dont worry about it, have considered the idea of upgrading the video card since prices are cheap, its dumb to buy a $400 video card (Not considering the PSU you need to run it) when no game takes real advantage of it. Maybe real hardcore gamers feel different, but I doubt they would be playing on their TVs... "

Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.

If you buy a $400 video card, more often than not it will last more than 3-4 years. It's just that "hardcore" pc gamers just want the absolute best possible in graphics which is why they choose to keep upgrading. It's all a choice.

Heck, my 5 year old 8800GTS could still play a lot of today's games albeit at a low resolution. But not bad for a half decade old card.

Curious as to how the save game feature works on this. First of all, can you save a game at all? Next, how many saves per game are you entitled to?

hi.. is the offer available in Karnatak state, India?... do i need to buy any equipment or i can have it on my desktop?

Ok, this still doesn't interest me at all as you still don't own the game, period.

I've got this horrible feeling that you WILL not be as good due to internet latency on First Person Shooters.

I wish they would do an example such as get the worlds best TF2 player and make him play a round on a normal gaming rig on an average line, say 8meg. Then put this Onlive console infront of him, load up TF2 then play with the same people, I can almost promise that he would lose when you add up the latency involved on that.

Unless the games don't have multiplayer elements to them?
And if so, there is NO way I would even bother trying this sysem out.

lawfer said:
The only issue is the purchase of the actual console: Netflix doesn't have a fee for getting started, which has definitely helped it take off.

^This, pretty much.

Wait... Last I checked, this service started out on PCs through a browser-type interface, then they just recently released their stand-alone hardware. Which means you should be able to run OnLive from your PC, which you already have, so no initial starting fee is required. Unless, of course, you are counting the computer or OnLive's console, in which case you can make the same argument for Netflix requiring you to purchase a computer or compatible TV, Blu-Ray, or console so you can watch their streams.

Or did something change? Are they segregating the services now, and only giving this pass service to owners of their stand-alone hardware?

Sounds very good but 3MB connection(download) at the minimum, in the UK the mainstream connection is about 2MB I think, that's rubbish for alot of peple(I have my own gaming PC so doesn't bother me =/).

And it might make console 'fanboys'... shut t when they argue over what platform has the best graphics =P

Just think, they can play Crysis or Metro 2033 from their 360's etc.

Vrmithrax said:
lawfer said:

^This, pretty much.

Wait... Last I checked, this service started out on PCs through a browser-type interface, then they just recently released their stand-alone hardware. Which means you should be able to run OnLive from your PC, which you already have, so no initial starting fee is required. Unless, of course, you are counting the computer or OnLive's console, in which case you can make the same argument for Netflix requiring you to purchase a computer or compatible TV, Blu-Ray, or console so you can watch their streams.

Or did something change? Are they segregating the services now, and only giving this pass service to owners of their stand-alone hardware?

Yes, we all know that. You can use OnLive from your PC or Mac. But we are talking about the console itself. If I'm not mistaken, you can't play console games from your PC or Mac (correct me if I'm wrong). Which means that people who want to use OnLive specifically for console gaming will have to rely on the OnLive Gaming System, which costs a hundred bucks. In comparison, Netflix offers both PC/Mac, and TV streaming without charging you for a special hardware.

Gamefly does not offer streaming games though, I think that is what they mean

Back