Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No there is no poll..

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
help???

Ok all I need help.

I've been told that this is impossible... I'm hoping all you smart guys will know better. ;)

* The Background *

I'm trying to run a few games on my old P2400
They require OpenGL.
I have an equally old Diamond Viper v550 graphics card.

* The problem *

I have installed WinXP on this old machine. (I know... I know)
Anyway, I can't find a valid driver for the graphics card on XP, and the XP default doesn't handle OpenGL with this dinosaur.

I've looked at GLSetup I don't see the card listed there either.

Any solutions would be most welcome. I'd like to keep this machine as a viable backup without spending cash on it. ;)

Thanks all,
Please feel free to email me at:
webjunk@fbi-agent.com
or send me an instant message.

DmIndy

Re: help???

First of all, you should have XP installed on that old thing. :) If you are using a P2, then it is likely on a BX or LX board. The BX might be better suited for XP, but the LX is too legacy to work 100% with XP.

Another reason not to install XP is for performace reasons. It is much more demanding than Windows 9x, and even more demanding than 2000.

The reason you are experiencing these problems is due to the fact that generic Windows XP drivers do NOT support OpelGL. Just proprietary MS technlolgies, such as Direct 3D, DirectSound.. DirectDraw.. etc.

Official drivers for your video card do not exist, and don't think you'll find any "unofficial" ones either. This was a topic not too long ago actually, I don't know what the results were but I'm sure no one found drivers.

The only solution here would be to install Windows 9x on it. I know it sounds horrid, but all in all, this will fix your problem and offer better performance. If you do not own a copy of Widnows 9x, then I can understand why you have XP on there. Money is a precious resource for us capitlists....

The Diamond Viper 550 is simply an NVidia TNT chipset - you should be fine running standard detonator drivers. You should also have Ogl support after installing that. Mind you, it won't be fast, but it should be functional.

You can download detonator drivers at www.nvidia.com

LNCPapa

Originally posted by LNCPapa
The Diamond Viper 550 is simply an NVidia TNT chipset - LNCPapa

How did I manage to overlook that one? :blackeye:

However, I remember the reference drivers being quite inadequate for the Viper.. Then again, all the drivers were. :dead: That was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away though....

:wave: Newcomer Welcome & Hello :wave:

Here are some tips for a more pleasurable TechSpot experience.
Please Read FAQ's so you have an idea of how the Forum operates.
Please enable Private Messages & allow administrators to send you email.
Please ask your Forum Leaders for help, if the need arises.
  • Considering the International makeup of the forum, please use intelligible grammar than can be understood by all.
  • Parents & youths (under 13 yrs. old regularly visit the boards. Please act accordingly
    The boards are monitored & TOS is enforced.
  • For objectionable or problem posts, report this post to a moderator or PM a mod directly.
  • Please post in the correct forum, & please Do Not Double Post.
  • Please try to use a specific question on the Subject Line.
  • This will archive your subject for later searches/retrieval
  • Subject lines like "Help me" or "I have a question" & other pleas of desperation are not useful in a help forum.
  • Learn to use the Search Feature extensively for information & in answering questions. There are many Redundant Topics. Most popular subjects are currently being discussed, or similar questions/problems have been answered. There also might be a good link that was previously mentioned in answering your question/problem.

Please read the homepage www.TechSpot.com & please visit our sponsors.
Feel free to quote the articles, guides, reviews & links.
Enjoy! :)

Thanks guys!

Hey thanks guys! :grinthumb

I appreciate your help!

By the way apparently my poll wasn't placid enough and the moderator changed it.

No biggie, as I was just playing around anyway, but I hope it didn't actually offend anyone.

Take care and thanks again!!

DmIndy:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back