Oppo's Find 7 smartphone rumored to have a 50-megapixel camera

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Oppo's Find 7 is already rumored to have some crazy specifications including a 5.5-inch, 2560x1440 resolution display, brand-new Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor, and more. But if that wasn't enough, the upcoming Android device may also sport a 50-megapixel rear shooting camera.

The rumor stems from the EXIF data of a super high-resolution (8160x6120) photo uploaded on Weibo, which mentions Oppo Find 7 as the camera name. While it's kind of hard to judge camera quality by a single shot, the image itself looks impressive (the image above this story is a cropped version).

At present, Nokia and Sony provide smartphones with very high resolution cameras. Should the rumor be true, it would put this Android powered smartphone ahead of Nokia Lumia 1020, the current leader when it comes to megapixel packed in a smartphone, which houses a 41MP camera.

Although the Chinese OEM has reportedly faked leaks in the past to generate buzz for its upcoming launches, we'll know for sure later this month. The Oppo Find 7 is set for an official launch in Beijing on March 19th.

Permalink to story.

50 megapixel camera itself cannot guarantee the quality of image

I see we have a new race. In the 90's, it was the megahertz race. Today, it is the megapixel race.
The uneducated public, will wrongly believe that more is better, but anyone with a bit of common sense when it comes to photography, knows that more doesn't always mean better,
A pinhole camera sensor is still 10 times or more, smaller than even a dSLR APS-C sensor. Cramming more sensors into a space that small, will most likely introduce noise, crosstalk and other issues, not to mention the "glass" on these cameras isn't that good to start with.

Man if these specs are to be believed and they manage to top it off with a very competitive price then Samsung's, Sony's and HTC's new flagships are already staring to look like old crank handle phones. I wonder if it will be confined to Asia only...

Man if these specs are to be believed and they manage to top it off with a very competitive price then Samsung's, Sony's and HTC's new flagships are already staring to look like old crank handle phones. I wonder if it will be confined to Asia only...
Nokia's Lumia 1020 has a 42 MP camera, and it didn't makes any waves in the market. Even 8MP is more than you need for putting something on FB and that's what most people do with them.

Nokia's Lumia 1020 has a 42 MP camera, and it didn't makes any waves in the market. Even 8MP is more than you need for putting something on FB and that's what most people do with them.
Agreed, plus in my book having a 2560x1440 screen on something that small is rather pointless because I doubt that people would notice a difference in that size area over even a 1080p screen. Having the nice camera with it might be beneficial, but its all going to depend on the price of course because those specs scream high price with little to no benefits.

Try explaining that to the folk who think bigger numbers are better. A lot of them base their choices on the big numbers alone.

Better is better, consumers should punish "good enough" whether it is useful or not.

Highest quality camera I've ever owned was my FIRST digital camera, sporting 3.1 MP. Every camera I've owned since has had more pixels, but ultimately, its the lenses that give a photo it's quality.

Thinking that most phones don't focus nor have a flash, work on cameras. I took, a nice picture with my nikon a few weeks ago of my 80 year old mother and posted it on facebook. She was solicited for sex by an 85 year old neighbor.

I've heard this rumor before, both Z1 and Lumia 1020 have cameras with tons of megapixels and they still don't sell. I hope this camera is good as it sounds.

People talk about forgetting high mp when the actual camera on the phones are useless compared to decent dslr camera etc. But it's all about knowing how to use the tools at hand to produce the perfect shots. I have some very impressive photography on a 5mp camera phone which easily outshine the pictures taken by amateurs claiming they slr is the bees knees.

People talk about forgetting high mp when the actual camera on the phones are useless compared to decent dslr camera etc. But it's all about knowing how to use the tools at hand to produce the perfect shots. I have some very impressive photography on a 5mp camera phone which easily outshine the pictures taken by amateurs claiming they slr is the bees knees.
Well most people know camera on the phone is quite useless and they are talking about it cause it needs to be improved, not by adding more MP but other stuff that matters more. And I doubt someone uses phone camera to take pictures like a pro photographer, they mostly take selfies and other bs alike, you don't need much skill for that.

Well most people know camera on the phone is quite useless and they are talking about it cause it needs to be improved, not by adding more MP but other stuff that matters more. And I doubt someone uses phone camera to take pictures like a pro photographer, they mostly take selfies and other bs alike, you don't need much skill for that.

You would be surprised, was only recently I read a column (possible on techspot) how one generalist company was moving solely to tablets and phones for media coverage including the photography (ill try and find the link)

Back