Outlook Express: Backup emails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy05

Hi.

Can someone enlighten me on how to backup my emails from outlook express? I remembered they are stored as files somewhere. I wanted to transfer the email messages from my main PC to my laptop. I've seen the tutorial somewhere but I forgot where to find it again.

Thanks for the help.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3479

Originally posted by Rick:
The folders you should have backed up are contained within [DRIVE]:\Documents and Settings\[PROFILE NAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\[SOME WEIRD NUMBER]\Microsoft\Outlook Express

1.) Setup a mail account in Outlook Express FIRST.

2.) Follow the directory structure of the path above from wherever you have the backup your old partition and copy those files.

3.) Follow the same directory hierarchy given above, only for your current installation of Windows. Paste those files into the folder and you should be set.

That what you were looking for?

I have a question along the same lines. I repartitioned my hard drive to a C: and D: Drive. I use the D: for all my files related to work, entertainment, school, and Ghost back-up images. MY C: is devoted only to programs.

I want to use Ghost to back up just my prgrams, but I do not want to back up my Outlook express emails ib ghost. I have about 1G of emails already.

I would like my emails to go directly to my D: and then if/when I need to ghost my machine in the advent of a bad virus or driver, I would like to ghost just the C: and tell Outlook Express to find my files on D:. Is that possible?

Can I have all imcomming mail go straight to the D: and when I backup from a ghost image, just tell Outlook express what directory all my mail is in? I don't want to have to ghost my email messages, otherwise I would have to continually ghost my machine. I just want to ghost it with each hardware or software change. Thanks

Backing-up Outlook Express E-Mails

'Express Assist 7' is brilliant - it backs up all your Outlook Express 'folders' - which aren't folders at all, and it's this which makes backups difficult. Any special folder names which you create in addition to the standard ones are handled correctly. The standard IE backup procedure is pretty useless in my opinion. I've needed to re-create my Outlook Express 'folders' on two or three occasions, and it works like a dream. It's not expensive, and well-worth buying it after the free trial period runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back